|Michael Rooker Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 9 in|
|Date of Birth||April 6, 1955|
Michael Rooker is an American actor, voiceover artist, director, and producer who has gained popularity with his roles like Henry in Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer, Yondu Udonta in Guardians of the Galaxy and Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, Merle Dixon in The Walking Dead, Edward Hoyt in True Detective, Rowdy Burns in Days of Thunder, Arnold “Chick” Gandil in Eight Men Out, Sheriff Alan Pangborn in The Dark Half, Bill Broussard in JFK, Sheriff Walker in Rosewood, Ranger Hal Tucker in Cliffhanger, AJ Mercker in Undisputed, Terry Cruger in Sea of Love, Defense Attorney Billy Watkins in Blood Done Sign My Name, and Grant Grant in Slither.
Michael Allen Rooker
Jasper, Alabama, United States
Los Angeles, California, United States
Michael Rooker studied at Wells Community Academy High School located in the West Town neighborhood on the Near Northwest Side of Chicago, Illinois, United States. Later, he attended the Goodman School of Drama at DePaul University.
He has also learned the Japanese martial art of Aikido with Fumio Toyoda Shihan.
Actor, Voiceover Artist, Director, Producer
- Father – Hugh Rooker
- Mother – Pansy/Pansey
- Siblings – He has 9 brothers and sisters.
- Others – Robert C. Rooker (Paternal Grandfather), Samantha (Paternal Grandmother), Clifton Hall Dowell (Maternal Grandfather), Sarah Catherine/Katherine “Kate” McCulley (Maternal Grandmother)
Michael Rooker has been repped by LINK Entertainment, Talent Management Company, Los Angeles, California, United States.
5 ft 9 in or 175 cm
72 kg or 158.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Michael Rooker has dated –
- Margot Rooker (1979-Present) – On June 22, 1979, he got married to Margot Tsuru LaRose and they have been blessed with 2 daughters – Alynne Rooker and Gillian Rooker.
Race / Ethnicity
Michael Rooker is of English, Irish, Scottish, and Scots-Irish/Northern Irish descent.
- Raspy gravelly voice
- Has frequently played law enforcement or military characters
- Frequent collaborations with filmmaker James Gunn
Michael Rooker Facts
- He was 13 years old when his parents divorced. Afterward, he relocated with his mother and siblings to Chicago, Illinois.
- Michael Rooker was cast as Henry, a psychopathic drifter who murders scores of people as he travels throughout America, in the 1986 psychological horror crime film titled Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer. For this performance, he won Fantasporto Award as well as Golden Space Needle Award for “Best Actor” and was nominated for an Independent Spirit Award for “Best Male Lead”.
- He has been ranked at number #17 on Tropopkin magazine’s “Top 25 Most Intriguing People” list.
- From 2010 to 2013, Michael Rooker appeared as Merle Dixon, Daryl Dixon’s racist and volatile older brother, in the post-apocalyptic horror television series, The Walking Dead.
- He holds a black belt in the Kyokushin style of karate.
- His role as Yondu Udonta in Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 got him nominated for a Saturn Award for “Best Supporting Actor”.
- Michael Rooker has done voiceover work for video games like Call of Duty: Black Ops, Call of Duty: Black Ops II, The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay, The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct, and Lollipop Chainsaw.
Featured Image by Super Festivals / Flickr / CC BY 2.0