|Michael Strahan Quick Info|
|Height||6 ft 4.75 in|
|Date of Birth||November 21, 1971|
|Girlfriend||Kayla Lynn Quick|
Michael Strahan is a former American pro-NFL defensive end athlete who played for the New York Giants from 1993 to 2007. Post-retirement, he reinvented his career by working as a football analyst for FOX network and became a syndicated daytime talk show host in 2012. In 2016, he started working full time for Good Morning America (GMA). He has a huge social media fan base with more than 1 million followers on Instagram and more than 1.5 million followers on Twitter.
Michael Anthony Strahan
Houston, Texas, United States
- Primarily lives in Upper West Side, Manhattan, New York City, United States
- Owns residential properties in Los Angles, California, New York City, New Jersey, and Texas, United States
He studied and graduated from Mannheim American High School and played linebacker for the Mannheim Bison / Redskins in 1985. Michael’s father later sent him to Houston, Texas to attend Westbury High School for his senior year where he played American Football for one season and returned to Germany to graduate from Trinity Christian High School in Mannheim, Germany that had only 2 students in his class including him.
His performance at Westbury bagged him a scholarship to Cisco College, a two-year school in Texas. However, his uncle Art got in touch with another college coach Walter Highsmith who recruited him for a scholarship to Texas Southern University from where he graduated in 1993.
Former American Football Player, TV Presenter, TV Journalist, Game Show Host, Actor, Football Analyst, Executive Producer, Entrepreneur (Co-founder of management-production company SMAC Entertainment with Constance Schwartz)
- Father – Gene Willie Strahan Sr. (Pastor, Social Worker, Retired US Army Major, a former boxer with a 1–1 record against Ken Norton before he won the WBC Heavyweight title)
- Mother – Louise Traylor Strahan (Basketball Coach, Social Worker)
- Siblings – Debra Diana Strahan (Older Sister) (Deceased), Sandra L. (Older Sister) (Self-employed, Mary Kay Consultant), Gene Strahan Jr. (Older Brother) (Lives and works in Auto Hobby Shop, Italy), Christopher Strahan (Older Brother), Victor Strahan (Older Brother)
- Others – Arthur Strahan aka Art (Former Professional Football Player for Houston Oilers in 1965 and Atlanta Falcons in 1968)
Michael is represented by –
- Constance Schwartz, Manager turned Business Partner
- Jill Fritzo Public Relations
Strahan’s company SMAC is repped by William Morris Endeavor (WME).
6 ft 4.75 in or 195 cm
112 kg or 247 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Michael has dated –
- Wanda Nicole Hutchins (1990–1996) – Interior Designer Wanda met Michael when she was 12 and he was 14 years old because they studied in the same school. The two started dating in 1990 which led to the birth of their first daughter named Tanita in November 1991. Tanita now works as a Visual Artist based in Los Angeles, California. 10 weeks after Tanita’s birth, Michael and Wanda got married in Denmark in January 1992. The couple had a happy married life for the first 2 years which led to the birth of their 2nd child, a son named Michael Strahan Junior (b. September 1995). By the mid-1990s, Strahan got increasingly busy with his football career and became alienated from his wife and kids who continued to live in Germany. The estranged couple got divorced in May 1996. In a 2005 press statement, Michael’s former wife shared that the football player had wholly abandoned his kids and made no effort to get in touch with them. After Michael went through a 2nd acrimonious divorce battle with another woman, he reconciled with Wanda and bought her and his first 2 kids a house in Spring, Texas so that they could live closer to his parents Gene and Louise.
- Jean Muggli (1996–2006) – Michael first met Jean when she was working as a cosmetics store manager in a Manhattan skincare salon and spa. He started visiting her store repeatedly for a month until he gathered the courage to ask Jean out. Although Jean claimed to be disinterested in athletes, she added that once she got to know Michael, she found out he was not the stereotypical player with a sports background. The couple got married in 1999 after dating for nearly 3 years and had a happy married life till the beginning of the new millennium. They were deemed as one of the best celebrity couples in Manhattan by the tabloids. Michael and Jean were blessed with twin daughters named Isabella and Sophia in October 2004. Meanwhile, Michael’s first wife shared with the media that Jean was partly responsible for making her husband cut off ties with his children from his previous marriage. Jean and Michael got embroiled in a highly publicized acrimonious divorce battle in 2005. Michael’s father told the press that he did not get along with Jean ever since she started dating his son and he even penned a letter advising him not to marry her but that only created a rift between father and son. Jean accused Michael of infidelity, physical abuse, and filming her sister while she was undressing. When Michael moved in with a close friend, Dr. Ian Smith of Celebrity Fit Club fame during divorce proceedings, Jean accused Michael of homosexuality. Years later, in 2012, the TV presenter confessed that his 2nd divorce was the best thing that happened to him and none of the accusations leveled against him were true. By the time their divorced finalized in 2006, Muggli acquired one of the highest divorce settlements at that time. She was granted 15 million dollars with an additional 18,000 dollars a month child support. After that, Jean moved to North Dakota and lives a private life with no social media presence. Over the years, Michael got closer to his 4 kids, and all five of them developed a close bond despite the early differences in their living situation.
- Stefani Vara (2006–2007) – Strahan got introduced to R&B recording artist, professional foot model, entrepreneur, and podcast host Stefani Vara through mutual friends. The couple started dating in 2006 and they were frequently clicked attending high profile events together. They dated for a year before parting ways in 2007.
- Nicole Mitchell Murphy (2007–2014) – Michael started dating former fashion model, reality star and entrepreneur Nicole in 2007, and the couple got engaged after 2 years of dating. In 2011, Nicole was conned of all her divorce settlement money to the tune of 7-10 million dollars by childhood friend Troy Stratos that left her nearly broke. However, Strahan came to Nicole’s rescue and helped her stay financially afloat. In 2012, Michael joined Live! With Kelly and Michael that was filmed in NYC. Working as a morning show host kept him away from Nicole, who filmed her reality show in Los Angeles. Although the former model would visit Michael for a week every month, the distance began to take its toll on the couple’s relationship. Their engagement dragged for 5 years. Nicole released news of their break-up the night Michael was inducted in Pro Football’s NFL Hall of Fame in 2014. While Nicole blamed their busy schedule as the primary cause of their break-up, tabloids reported that the reality star found out that Michael was cheating on her. She created a scene at a Beverly Hills hotel while trying to catch and confront Strahan with another woman. Other sources reported that Nicole refused to sign a prenuptial agreement which was a deal-breaker for Michael.
- Marianna Hewitt (2014) – The paparazzi clicked Michael on dinner dates with TV host turned make-up blogger and Kim Kardashian lookalike Marianna Hewitt shortly after the end of his engagement with Nicole Murphy in 2014.
- Kayla Lynn Quick (2016–Present) – Michael and Kayla were first spotted together at the Super Bowl after-party in 2015. In 2016, the tabloids published several pictures of the couple indulging in PDA on the beach. They were frequently seen together in Manhattan and Kayla is often spotted accompanying Michael’s twin daughters Isabella and Sophie. The paparazzi reported that Michael’s 17 years younger girlfriend has a shady past. At the age of 14, she was arrested for disorderly conduct and was given a juvenile sentence at the age of 18 for stealing her grandmother’s jewelry. Her father was also arrested more than 20 times for various crimes before he expired in 2012 and her sister Kara, a model & chef, based in Florida was also arrested for possessing controlled substances, namely, Xanax and Stilnox.
Note – In 2016, a young man named David Brown, who was put up for adoption right after he was born in 1994, told National Enquirer that he was sure that Michael Strahan was his biological father. The young man bears a striking resemblance to Michael and even has the same gap in his front teeth. Strahan agreed to a paternity test to confirm the same, but David refused because he feared that the TV presenter could easily rig the results to confirm the outcome of his choice. As such, Michael’s representative dismissed David’s claims as a ‘shakedown.’
Race / Ethnicity
Multiracial (Black and White)
He has African-American as well as small amount of English ancestry.
- Prominent gap in front teeth that shows every time he smiles
- Tall and muscular physique
- Always maintains a close-cropped buzz cut hairstyle
- Clear and rich deep voice
14 (US) or 13 (UK) or 47 (EU)
- He has appeared in print advertisements for Campbell’s Chunky Soups (2003–2004) and M&M candies from Mars Inc. (2009)
- His first TV commercial was for Pizza Hut Delivery (2006).
- In 2008, he filmed a series of webisodes in an elaborate campaign called VIP Like Me for Snickers candy bar.
- In February 2008, Strahan and teammate Justin Tuck collaborated with Nike to design their own exclusive pair of sneakers for ID studio in New York City although all proceeds from the sale of the sneakers were donated to Nike‘s “Let Me Play” global charitable campaign.
- He was also cast in the award-winning TV commercials for Vaseline Men (2009).
- Michael has also been a part of the TV commercials for Pepper Soda (2010), Subway (2012), Right Guard (2017), Metamucil (2014-2015), MetaBiotic probiotic supplement (2014-2015), and Meta Health Bars (2014).
- He has served as the celebrity spokesperson for CA Technologies application Total Defense R12.
- Michael collaborated with American Department store J. C. Penney to create an exclusive range of stylish but affordable men’s clothing and accessories called M by Michael Strahan. He was the only model of the brand launch commercials. In 2016, Michael became a full-time employee of Good Morning America that required him to drop his endorsement deals as the employees of programs under ABC News are forbidden from brand endorsements to prevent conflict of interest. Michael continues to promote his clothing line but he is no longer the face of his brand. In 2017, he additionally launched a luggage line with the same company.
Best Known For
- Being a former National Football League (NFL) player as a part of the New York Giants for his entire athletic career of 15 years. In 2001, Michael set the record for most sacks in a season and in his final season helped his team win the Super Bowl XLII (2007) against the New England Patriots.
- Getting inducted in the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 2014
- His second career as a TV Presenter which was launched with the success of the day time show, Live! With Kelly and Michael (2012–2016)
- Appearing as a full-time anchor on Good Morning America (GMA)
He made his theatrical film debut as Augustus in Magic Mike XXL in 2015.
His first voice-over job was to narrate for the character of Teddy in Ice Age: Collision Course in 2016.
First TV Show
He made his first TV show appearance as ‘Himself’ on documentary series, CenterStage in 2002.
- In his early teens, Michael was an overweight kid. His siblings gave him the nickname Bob, which was short for booty on the back that often made him cry. He started exercising to Jane Fonda’s workout videos and improved enough to follow Herschel Walker’s workout book. His father saw his dedication and became his workout partner.
- Gene would wake up Michael at 5:00 am for 3-5 mile runs through Mannheim woods in Germany, and the father and son duo started visiting the local gym following workout programs published in Muscle & Fitness.
- During the height of Strahan’s NFL career, his brothers shared that though unsure of the outcome, Michael made a lot of sacrifices in his teens by investing all his free time at the gym even when he did not want to train while his siblings went out to enjoy with their friends.
- When Michael got into Texas Southern, he spent his holiday breaks biking uphill and running the stadium steps. His endurance helped him sack the other team’s quarterback 19 times in his final college season that caught the eye of scouts for the New York Giants making him their 40th pick of the 1993 draft.
- At the peak of his career, Strahan’s performance numbers were as follows:
- 40 Yard Dash – 4.94 seconds
- Bench Press – 25 repetitions with 225 lbs
- 20 Yard Shuttle – 4.74 seconds
- Vertical Jump – 32.5 inches
- Broad Jump – 120 inches
- 20 Yard Dash – 2.83 seconds
- The athlete feels proud to share that throughout his 15 year NFL career, he had only 3 surgeries. In his late 40s, Michael showed no signs of slowing down. He aims to sleep by 8:30 or 9:00 pm and wakes up at 4:30 am to get the first of his 2 daily workouts. He has an apartment near the Good Morning America studio so he can walk to work every morning like most New Yorkers. His 2nd workout lasts for an hour before going to bed.
- Strahan trains under the supervision of celebrity trainer Latreal Mitchell who lives in the same building. Although the TV presenter continues to maintain the same bodyweight he had during his NFL career, his proportions are more symmetrical now. He gave up heavy lifting for high-intensity cardio, correctional exercises, and functional weight training. During his downtime, Strahan also enjoys playing Golf.
- His trainer prescribed him a high protein diet that minimizes the consumption of sugar, dairy, and pasta. Although Strahan indulges in desserts, his taste has become more refined. He dislikes the taste of processed sweet treats like Oreo cookies.
- Michael likes to workout at Equinox gym but has a fully equipped gym area at home as well in case he does not have time to spare. Sundays are absolute rest days.
- Michael likes to start his day with scrambled egg whites with spinach and chicken-apple sausage along with Ezekiel toast with peanut butter and jam. He carries a protein shake to work and has eggs and avocado for a pre-lunch snack. Lunch is his heaviest meal of the day that is usually a home-cooked meal that he brings to work. He consumes a healthy juice before heading home and prefers a light snack as a pre-workout meal as the last meal of his day on a typical working day.
Michael Strahan Favorite Things
- Morning Alarm Song – Lovely Day by Bill Withers
- Places For Brunch (NYC) – Bubby’s in Meatpacking District, Café Clover on Downing Street
- Cocktail – Paloma Frozen Margarita
- Restaurants (NYC) – Playa Betty’s, TESSA, Milos, Babbo
- Dream Vacation – Bora Bora
- Candy – Sour Patch Kids
- Alcohol – Tequila, White wine
- Tequila Brand – Don Julio 1942 (on the rocks with lime), Don Julio 70, Casamigos, Casa Dragones
- White Wine Brand – Riesling
- Music Genre – Hip-Hop
- Subject – History
- Holiday – Thanksgiving
- Board Game – Backgammon
- Romantic Movie – The Notebook (2004)
- Movie – Love Actually (2003)
- Song – The Secret Garden by Quincy Jones
- Gym – Equinox
- Parks (In Houston) – Discovery Green, Hermann Park
- Home State Golf Club – Cypresswood Golf Club, Houston, Texas
- Restaurants (Houston) – The Breakfast Klub, Demeris Bar-B-Q, Hugo’s
- Earbuds Brand – Master & Dynamic ME05 Earphones, Palladium
- Product For Golf Training – DuoTrac Golf 2.0 Swing Trainers
- Lip Balm – Burt’s Bees, Facial fuel by Kiehl’s
- Athleisure Jacket – The Arrivals Niels Track Bomber Jacket
- Winter Essential – John Varvatos Silk Cashmere Henley Shirt
- Health Bar / Snack – Quest Nutrition Protein Bar, Cookies & Cream, Quest Protein Cookies
- Pillow Brand – Tomorrow Plush Pillow
- Skincare Brand – Jai of Beverly Hills Oxygen cream
- Exercise Equipment – Peloton Bike
- Jeans Brand – Rocker Jeans
Michael Strahan Facts
- Though most people don’t believe him owing to his job as a TV presenter, the former footballer confessed he is very shy in real life.
- Sportswriter Jay Glazer is one of Strahan’s closest friends.
- From the age of 9 to 19, Michael was raised in Benjamin Franklin Village, Mannheim, West Germany along with the rest of his siblings because his father, then U.S Army major, was stationed there.
- Michael loves posting pictures of his miniature golden doodle named Enzo. He is the half-brother to Chef Mario Batali’s dog, Willie, so he often organizes playdates for the two of them.
- As a player of Texas Southern Tigers, Strahan was deemed as an All-American star defensive player by several American Football scouts and commentators. He was drafted by the New York Giants in 1993 but had his first breakout season in 1997.
- The TV Presenter is extremely fond of cars and owns more than 16 of them that include a Lamborghini truck and a Morgan 3-Wheeler. Since Michael does not drive within NYC, he owns a warehouse in Hackensack, New Jersey to park all his cars and store his memorabilia.
- He dislikes having memorabilia at his residence because it makes him feel like he is living in the past.
- Unlike many pro athletes, Strahan has no tattoos on his body.
- Michael has professional karaoke set up in his house on which he likes to sing Bon Jovi‘s Livin on a Prayer to entertain his guests.
- In June 2011, he participated in commercial supporting legalization of same-sex marriage in the state of New York.
- Strahan wrote a motivational book titled Wake Up Happy: The Dream Big, Win Big Guide to Transforming Your Life published in 2015.
- He likes collecting new and vintage watches as well as shopping for antiques.
- Once Michael made it big as an NFL player, he considered closing the gap between his teeth. He canceled his dentist’s appointment at the last minute because he realized his flaws along with the rest of his personality got him to the fortunate place he is now and he did not need to fix himself.
- In 2016, ABC network announced Michael to be the game show host of The $100, 000 Pyramid to be aired on Sunday nights. The Pyramid game show was aired on American TV since the 1970s and used to be one of Michael’s favorite TV shows while growing up.
- He volunteers at St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital and was part of their holiday promotional commercials in December 2018.
- In January 2021, it was revealed that he had been tested positive for COVID-19.
- In September 2021, Michael extended his contract with ABC News and reportedly signed a 4-year deal to stay on Good Morning America.
Featured Image by Michael Strahan / Instagram