|Michaela Coel Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 5 in|
|Date of Birth||October 1, 1987|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
Michaela Coel is a British actress, singer, director, producer, and screenwriter who is known for portraying the character of Tracey in Chewing Gum. Since then, she has been cast in various notable shows and films including I May Destroy You, Black Mirror, Black Earth Rising, and Been So Long.
Michaela Ewuraba Boakye-Collinson
London, England, United Kingdom
Growing up, Michaela attended various Catholic schools that were located in the East London area.
Coel went to the University of Birmingham, from 2007 to 2009, where she studied English Literature and Theology. Later, she transferred to the Guildhall School of Music and Drama, from where she graduated in 2012.
During that time, she also joined the Mark Proulx workshop at Prima del Teatro and also completed the Kat Francois Poetry Course at the Theatre Royal Stratford East.
She had also attended a Ché Walker masterclass in the past.
Actress, Screenwriter, Director, Producer, Singer
- Siblings – She has an older sister.
Coel is represented by Troika Talent Agency.
5 ft 5 in or 165 cm
57 kg or 125.5 lbs
Race / Ethnicity
She is of Ghanaian descent.
- Prominent jawline
- High cheekbones
- Snub nose
- Wide smile
Michaela Coel Facts
- She and her older sister were raised by her mother, mostly in Hackney and Tower Hamlets area. However, she was also very close to her father who had been in her life throughout her childhood.
- Coel’s parents never got married to one another.
- She once stated in an interview, that in primary school, she was bullied by her pupils as at the time, she had been the only black person in her class.
- She had made her first public appearance as an open-mic poet in 2006, in Ealing and has since then, done so on various platforms including the Wembley Arena, Bush Theatre, Nuyorican Poets Cafe, and De Doelen, and Rotterdam.
- Coel was listed on Time magazine‘s “100 Most Influential People of 2020” list.
- It was her mother who designed and styled the dress that she wore at the 2016 BAFTA Awards function from Kente cloth.
- She had identified as an aromantic person in the past.
- Michaela was once s*xually assaulted by an unknown assailant after her drink had been spiked.
- She made her first TV show appearance as a Maid in Law & Order: UK in 2013. Later, in 2014, Coel was cast as a Nurse in her debut theatrical film titled National Theatre Live: Medea.
- In June 2021, she won the “Best Actress” award at the 2021 BAFTA TV Awards for her role as Arabella Essiedu in the 2020 drama series, I May Destroy You. The show also won the award for “Best Mini-Series”.
- During the 2021 BAFTA TV Awards, Michaela had won 2 awards for I May Destroy You, one of which she had dedicated to director Ita O’Brien.
- In September 2021, she won an Emmy award for “Best Writing for a Limited Series” for her series, I May Destroy You.
Featured Image By Michaela Coel / Instagram