|Monali Thakur Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 1 in|
|Date of Birth||November 3, 1985|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
Monali Thakur is an Indian singer and actor whose voice has been a part of various movies through songs such as Choi Choi Choi Tipi Tipi from Cheka Achena, Kubool Kar Le from Jaan-E-Mann, Goodnight from Dil Kabaddi, Moh Moh Ke Dhaage from Dum Laga Ke Haisha, Zara Zara Touch Me from Race, Meow from Golmaal Returns, Khudaya Khair from Billu, Do Dil Hain Janwa from Bolo Raam, Kar Chokhe and Sonali Rodudure from Dujone, Prithibi Onek Boro and Kalke Chilam Jajabar from Love, Elore Elo Holi Elo from Lakshyabhed, Jingle Jingle from Badmaash Company, Golmaal from Golmaal 3, Anjaana Anjaani Ki Kahani from Anjaana Anjaani, Aao Manaye Jashn from Tum Hi To Ho, Haal-E-Dil from Bbuddah… Hoga Terra Baap, Tu Mohabbat Hai from Tere Naal Love Ho Gaya, Tu Ru Tu Ru Tu from Will You Marry Me?, Raghupati Raghav from Krrish 3, Tere Jaisa Tu Hai and Fu Bai Fu from Fanney Khan, Mummy Kasam from Coolie No. 1, and Ho Jaa Awara from Pal Pal Dil Ke Paas. Monali Thakur has also won several accolades including a National Film Award for the song Moh Moh Ke Dhaage and a Filmfare Award for the song Sawaar Loon.
Kolkata, West Bengal, India
Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
Monali Thakur went to the Future Foundation School in Kolkata.
After the completion of her school education, she got enrolled at St. Xavier’s College, Kolkata. She graduated from the college with a Bachelor of Arts degree in English Honors.
She took classical Hindustani music training from Pandit Jagdish Prasad and Pandit Ajoy Chakraborty.
- Father – Shakti Thakur (Bengali Singer)
- Mother – Her mother is also a singer.
- Siblings – Mehuli Thakur (Older Sister) (Playback Singer)
Filmi, Hindustani Classical
- Tips Music
- YRF Music
5 ft 1 in or 155 cm
48 kg or 106 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Monali Thakur has dated –
- Meiyang Chang – The rumors of Monali going out with singer and TV host Meiyang Chang started doing rounds in the early months of 2010. The relationship was eventually confirmed by Chang in his interview with Santa Banta. However, their relationship didn’t last beyond a couple of years. He later revealed that they weren’t just compatible. However, they separated on good terms and even worked together in 2017 on the singing TV show, Rising Star.
- Maik Richter (2017-Present) – She got married to Maik Richter, a restaurateur based in Switzerland, in the year 2017. The marriage was not made public until June 2020. The duo met during Monali Thakur’s backpacking trip to Switzerland as he was her Airbnb host.
Race / Ethnicity
She has Bengali ancestry.
- Short height
- Defined jawline
Monali Thakur has appeared in a TV commercial for the skincare brand, Pond’s.
Best Known For
- Having served as a judge on the singing reality TV series, Rising Star
- Having served as a judge on the Bengali music TV show, Bengali Sa Re Ga Ma Pa Li’l Champs, for 2 seasons
- Her singles for popular movies such as Race, Golmaal Returns, Gunday, and Badrinath Ki Dulhania
As a Singer
Monali has lent her voice to a number of hit Bollywood singles such as Zara Zara Touch Me, Khwaab Dekhe, Sawaar Loon, and Moh Moh Ke Dhaage.
In 2007, she made her theatrical film debut in the musical drama movie, Krishnakanter Will.
First TV Show
In 2010, Monali Thakur made her first TV show appearance as a judge on the singing reality show, Sa Re Ga Ma Pa Bangla.
Monali Thakur Favorite Things
- Childhood Getaway – Digha, a beach near Kolkata
- Music Composers – Vishal-Shekhar
Source – Telegraph India, Rediff
Monali Thakur Facts
- She had her first song recorded at the age of 6 as she was hired for a recording by HMD.
- When she was 14 years old, she won the Best Playback Singer award at the Anandalok Awards for her playback singing in the Bengali show, Sri Ramkrishna.
- She has also taken training in Bharat Natyam and has taken dance classes for salsa and hip-hop dancing.
- She got her first big breakthrough after music director Pritam Chakraborty asked her to perform 2 songs for the music album of Race.
- In May 2016, she was subjected to vitriolic hate from Shreya Ghoshal’s social media fans, who were upset with Monali’s interview in which she had claimed that she regretted losing the Deewani Mastani track from Bajirao Mastani to the senior singer.
- Follow her on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
Featured Image by Monali Thakur / Instagram