|Nayib Bukele Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 8 in|
|Date of Birth||July 24, 1981|
Nayib Bukele is a Salvadoran politician and businessman who became the 46th President of El Salvador in June 2019. He is also the founder of the political party named Nuevas Ideas. He had previously served as the Mayor of the municipality of Nuevo Cuscatlán (May 2012-April 2015) and the Mayor of the capital city of San Salvador (May 2015-April 2018).
Nayib Armando Bukele Ortez
San Salvador, El Salvador
San Salvador, El Salvador
Nayib, after his high school graduation, had studied law at the Central American University (Universidad Centroamericana José Simeón Cañas), a private university in San Salvador. He had, however, dropped out at the age of 18 to become an entrepreneur.
- Father – Armando Bukele Kattán (Businessman, Religious Leader) (d. November 30, 2015)
- Mother – Olga Ortez de Bukele
- Siblings – Emerson Bukele (Brother)
- Others – Humberto Bukele Salman (Paternal Grandfather), Victoria Kattán de Bukele (Paternal Grandmother), José Roberto Rodríguez Trabanino (Father-in-Law) (Investor), Arena Perezalonso de Rodríguez (Mother-in-Law) (Former Member of the Chamber of Commerce and Industry in El Salvador)
5 ft 8 in or 173 cm
67 kg or 147.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Nayib has dated –
- Gabriela Rodriguez (2004-Present) – Nayib had started dating an educator, professional ballet dancer, and prenatal psychologist named Gabriela Rodriguez in 2004. The couple eventually got married on December 6, 2014, in a private ceremony in El Boquerón, San Salvador. They have a daughter together named Layla Bukele (b. August 15, 2019).
Race / Ethnicity
Multiracial (White and Hispanic)
He is of Palestinian descent on his father’s side and Salvadoran and Greek descent on his mother’s side.
- Slender frame
- Short-cropped hair
- Sports a trimmed beard
- Affable smile
Nayib Bukele Facts
- Nayib’s paternal grandparents were Palestinian Christians from Jerusalem and Bethlehem. His maternal grandmother was Catholic and his maternal grandfather was Greek Orthodox. His father had converted from Christianity to Islam and had become an Imam, a religious leader in the Muslim community.
- Nayib’s first name, Nayib, is a Hispanicized version of the Arabic name ‘Najib’.
- Before joining politics, he used to own Yamaha Motors El Salvador, a company that sells and distributes Yamaha products and spare parts in El Salvador.
- When he became the President of El Salvador in June 2019, he had run as a candidate of the center-right Grand Alliance for National Unity (GANA) party. He had thus become the first Salvadoran president since José Napoleón Duarte (1984–1989) not to have been elected as the candidate of one of the country’s 2 major political parties: the Farabundo Martí National Liberation Front (FMLN) and the Nationalist Republican Alliance (ARENA).
- Unlike the presidential election, he had contested and won both his mayoral elections under the banner of the left-wing Farabundo Martí National Liberation Front party.
- Often described as an autocrat or an authoritarian leader, he had received severe backlash in May 2021 when he had led a parliamentarian move to fire the attorney general and multiple supreme court judges of El Salvador who were investigating 20 governmental institutions of his administration. The move was characterized as a self-coup and had sparked fears of a democratic meltdown in the country.
Featured Image by Nayib Bukele / Instagram