|Nitesh Tiwari Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 9½ in|
|Date of Birth||May 22, 1973|
Nitesh Tiwari is an award-winning Indian director, producer, screenwriter, and lyricist whose filmography includes successful films like Chillar Party (2011), Bhoothnath Returns (2014), Dangal (2016), Chhichhore (2019), Bawaal (2023), etc.
Itarsi, Madhya Pradesh, India
Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
He studied at the Indian Institute of Technology Bombay and graduated with a bachelor’s degree in Metallurgy and Material Science Engineering in 1996.
Director, Producer, Screenwriter, Lyricist
- Father – B. D. Tiwari
- Siblings – He has 1 brother and 1 sister.
5 ft 9½ in or 176.5 cm
64 kg or 141 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Nitesh has dated –
- Ashwiny Iyer – While working at Leo Burnett, he met Ashwiny Iyer and the two hit it off immediately. They began dating not long after and eventually got married. Ashwiny is a notable filmmaker and writer herself who has the award-winning film, Nil Battey Sannata (2016) to her credit. The couple is parents to a twin boy and girl named Amaarisa Tiwari and Aaradhya Tiwari respectively.
Race / Ethnicity
However, his hair has turned mostly ‘Gray’ due to his advancing age.
- Square-shaped face
- He is soft-spoken.
Nitesh Tiwari Facts
- Before finding success in the Hindi film industry, he worked as a creative director at the reputed advertising company, Leo Burnett.
- In March 2018, Tiwari and his wife co-founded a production company called Earthsky Pictures. The company has produced several ad films, many of the pair’s own films, as well as the documentary series Break Point (2021) which tells the story of Indian tennis legends Leander Paes and Mahesh Bhupathi.
- He made his film debut by co-directing Chillar Party (2011) along with Vikas Bahl. The film, which is centered around 10 kids, was a sleeper hit and garnered several accolades upon its release. It received the National Film Award for ‘Best Children’s Film’, ‘Best Child Artist’ (for the whole cast), and ‘Best Screenplay (Original)’ in 2011.
- Tiwari’s film Bawaal (2023), starring Varun Dhawan and Janhvi Kapoor in lead roles, created a huge controversy due to its tone-deaf depiction of the horrors of Auschwitz and the Holocaust as a whole. After its release on Amazon Prime, Rabbi Abraham Cooper from the Simon Wiesenthal Center, which is a Jewish human rights organization, censured the film for monetizing on the ”…suffering and systematic murder of millions of victims of the Nazi Holocaust”.
- Arguably, his career’s breakthrough film was the Aamir Khan-starrer sports film Dangal (2016), which he wrote and directed. The film was declared a blockbuster and became the highest-grossing Indian film ever upon its release. Furthermore, it was the first Indian film to earn a worldwide gross collection of ₹2,024 crore (US$311 million), with more than half of its share i.e., ₹1,400 crore (US$206 million) coming from Chinese markets alone. The film’s unprecedented success in China earned it a spot on the list of ‘Top 20 Highest-Grossers of All Time’ in the country.
Featured Image by Bollywood Hungama / Wikimedia / CC BY 3.0