Pablo Tell Schreiber
Pablo, Pornstache (Memorable character nickname in Orange is the New Black)
Ymir, British Colombia, Canada
Topanga, West LA County, California, United States
Pablo studied at the Winlaw Elementary School. After his parents parted ways through a divorce, he was raised by his father in Seattle, Washington where he studied in an alternative Arts High School and scored a place on the varsity basketball team.
Alongside sports, he continued to participate in school musicals and plays. With the intention of pursuing his love for basketball which he liked more than acting, Pablo enrolled at the University of San Francisco hoping to make it on the college team.
The competition at college level basketball was tough and after he realized he was not athletically proficient enough to compete at that level, he took a spontaneous detour by auditioning for the drama program at Carnegie Mellon University. Pablo got in and graduated in 2000, immediately after which he signed up with an agent.
- Father – Tell Carroll Schreiber III (Former Actor/Director, Acting Professor, Business Owner of Wood Household Furniture)
- Mother – Lorraine Reaveley (Psychotherapist, Usana Products Distributor)
- Siblings – Liev Schreiber (Older Paternal Half-Brother) (Actor), Possibly has two older maternal Half-Siblings too.
- Others – Tell Carroll Schreiber Junior (Paternal Grandfather), Pamela Dutton Prime (Paternal Grandmother), Ernest Richard Hirom Reaveley (Maternal Grandfather), Alexander Pete Schreiber (Nephew), Samuel Kai Schreiber (Nephew)
Pablo Schreiber is represented by –
- William Morris Endeavor (WME), Beverly Hills, California
- Circle of Confusion, New York and LA
6 ft 4.75 in or 195 cm
93 kg or 205 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Pablo Schreiber has dated –
- Jessica Monty (2007–2013) – Pablo married Yoga Instructor, Cook and Health Counsellor, Jessica in 2007. Their marriage stayed strong through the first 5 years but it was widely speculated that Pablo’s rising profile as an actor threatened the stability of his personal life. Jessica filed for a divorce claiming irreconcilable differences right before Christmas 2013 which was finalized in 2015 largely in her favor. Pablo and Jessica share joint custody of their two sons named Timoteo Schreiber (to honor Jessica’s Cuban heritage) and Dante Schreiber.
- Karina Smirnoff (2014) – In early 2014, the paparazzi frequently spotted Pablo in the company of Greek-Russian professional ballroom dancer, Karina. She is best known for being cast as a regular choreographer on Dancing with the Stars and has a string of former relationships with famous men such as Mario Lopez, Maksim Chmerkovskiy and baseball player Brad Penny. Since Pablo was fresh out of a legal separation with a pending divorce settlement, his romance with Karina was possibly a rebound relationship and hence did not last long.
Race / Ethnicity
He has German, Swiss-German, Danish, Dutch, English, French, Norwegian, Belgian (Flemish), Scottish, Welsh, and Irish ancestry.
- Tall physical stature
- Big Nose
- Prominent laugh lines
He was featured in the Toyota Prius 4 commercial aired during the Super Bowl (2016).
His religious views are not confirmed.
However, Pablo’s father was a Protestant Christian while his mother was a hippie.
Best Known For
- Playing the character of a corrupt corrections officer named George Mendez aka Pornstache in the Netflix original series Orange is the New Black (2013–2017).
- Beating the popular villains from The Amazing Spider-Man 2, Maleficent, Game of Thrones and The Walking Dead to win the We Love to Hate You award at Young Hollywood Awards in 2014 for his role in OITNB.
In 2001, he made his theatrical film debut in a minor role of a character named Todd in Bubble Boy.
First TV Show
He made his first television show appearance as a Polish-American dock worker named Nickolas/Nick Sobotka in the critically acclaimed HBO production The Wire in 2003.
- Pablo’s natural body composition is that of an ‘ectomorph’. He used to be a very thin guy with a high metabolism. Over the years, several movie and TV projects required him to gain serious muscle mass, a goal that he is able to achieve only upon consuming a lot of whole foods split into 6 meals a day.
- For 13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi (2016), he gained 25 pounds of muscle. His body weight usually fluctuates between 200 lbs to 230 lbs (90 kg–104 kg) and the leanest he has ever been after the age of 30 was 190 lbs (86 kg).
- Gaining muscle with minimum fat gain is a major concern for Pablo. Hence in 2017, he started training under the supervision of Eddie Raburn, a Psychological/Strength/Conditioning Performance coach who trains Pablo at Cal Coast Strength & Conditioning Facility in Ventura, California.
- His training comprises of morning cardio usually in High-Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) format and a separate weight training session comprising of fundamental strength exercises, later in the day, focused on hypertrophy.
- Over the years, Pablo has stayed fairly active and is comfortable using just about any kind of equipment in the gym from traditional weights to new age heavy kettlebells, battle ropes, gymnastics rings, and heavy punching bag for boxing. He has even trained consistently on a lesser known prop such as a slackline.
- When the gym is inaccessible, Pablo depends on home workout DVDs such as P90X to get his daily dose of an intense workout.
Pablo Schreiber Favorite Things
- Comfort Food – Ice Cream
- Reality show – Celebrity Rehab aired on VH1
- Romantic Song – 12 Play by R. Kelly
- Celebrity Crush – Cate Blanchett
Pablo Schreiber Facts
- His father had a strong interest in literature and hence, named him after the celebrated Chilean poet Pablo Neruda.
- During his teenage years, he was an amateur rapper and performed at several school events with other rapper friends.
- He gained an early experience in acting by getting cast in key roles of critically acclaimed plays such as Madwomen of Chaillot, Guys and Dolls, Fiddler on the Roof and Arms and the Man.
- He did not see his half-brother, Liev Schreiber until he was 6 years old and did not get to know him for another decade thereafter. At the age of 16, Pablo visited Liev in New York to watch him perform in the play The Tempest which was also the first time he had a conversation with him and developed a brotherly connection.
- 10 years senior to Pablo in age, Liev was already an established actor when Pablo was in his teens. Once he asked Liev for a favor of setting him up with a casting director. Liev advised Pablo that even though he would be happy to help out his brother, Pablo would feel better about his achievements as an actor if he scored all his acting jobs only on the basis of his caliber. Pablo followed his advice and claims to have never regretted it.
- During a 2011 interview, Pablo shared that although he is a gentle person in real life, he also holds a lot of suppressed anger which might be one of the reasons he is drawn towards playing dark characters.
- Since 2016, Pablo is based in California but he considers himself a die-hard New Yorker because he lived in Red Hook, Brooklyn, New York City for 10 years.
- Carlo Gugino, one of Pablo’s theatre co-stars shared that he makes a great cup of tea.
- He prefers wearing jeans and t-shirt to any other piece of clothing.
- According to him, his best character trait is that he is very decisive and has the ability to look at himself objectively.
- Pablo lost his virginity at the age of 12.
- He works hard in films and television, so he can act in at least one play every year. As much as he loves being on stage, Pablo confessed that theatre alone does not offer a decent income.
- He narrated the gruesome, thriller novel American Psycho (1991) in an audiobook in 2009.
- While acting in an off-Broadway play, Gruesome Playground Injuries (2011), Pablo passed out on stage in front of an audience and woke up after a few seconds to say out loud “I think I passed out.” The audience did not react and thought it was a part of the play.
- To know more about the actor, follow him on Twitter and Instagram.
Featured Image by David Shankbone / Wikimedia / CC BY-3.0