|Prince Philip Quick Info|
|Date of Birth||June 10, 1921|
|Date of Death||April 9, 2021|
Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh was the husband of Queen Elizabeth II as well as the longest-serving consort of a reigning British monarch.
Prince Philip of Greece and Denmark
Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh was born on June 10, 1921.
Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh died at the age of 99 on April 9, 2021, at Windsor Castle, United Kingdom due to his old age and had died peacefully.
Mon Repos, Corfu, Kingdom of Greece
Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh studied in institutions including The Elms, Cheam School, Schule Schloss Salem, and Gordonstoun School.
Member of the British Royal Family
- Father – Prince Andrew of Greece and Denmark
- Mother – Princess Alice of Battenberg
- Siblings – Margarita, Princess of Hohenlohe-Langenburg (Older Sister), Theodora, Margravine of Baden (Older Sister), Cecilie, Hereditary Grand Duchess of Hesse (Older Sister), Sophie, Princess George of Hanover (Older Sister)
- Others – George I of Greece (Paternal Grandfather), Olga Constantinovna of Russia (Paternal Grandmother), Prince Louis of Battenberg (Maternal Grandfather), Princess Victoria of Hesse and by Rhine (Maternal Grandmother), Constantine I of Greece (Paternal Uncle), Prince George (Paternal Uncle), Princess Alexandra (Paternal Aunt), Prince Nicholas (Paternal Uncle), Princess Maria (Paternal Aunt), Princess Olga (Paternal Aunt), Prince Christopher (Paternal Uncle), Louise, Queen of Sweden (Maternal Aunt), George Mountbatten, 2nd Marquess of Milford Haven (Maternal Uncle), Louis Mountbatten, 1st Earl Mountbatten of Burma (Maternal Uncle)
6 ft or 183 cm
72 kg or 158.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh had dated –
- Merle Oberon
- Osla Benning
- Elizabeth II (1947-2021) – He married Queen Elizabeth on November 20, 1947, and was bestowed the titles Duke of Edinburgh, Earl of Merioneth, and Baron Greenwich of Greenwich in the County of London. They parented 4 children – Charles, Prince of Wales (born November 14, 1948), Anne, Princess Royal (born August 15, 1950), Prince Andrew, Duke of York (born February 19, 1960), and Prince Edward, Earl of Wessex (born March 10, 1964). The couple was married for 73 years until April 2021, the death of Prince Philip.
- Pat Kirkwood (1948)
- Zsa Zsa Gabor (1956)
Race / Ethnicity
- Deep-set eyes
- Receding hairline
He was raised as a Greek Orthodox Christian.
Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh Facts
- He was baptized in the Greek Orthodox rite at St. George’s Church in the Old Fortress in Corfu.
- During his childhood years, Prince Philip was described as a “know it all smarty person, but always remarkably polite”.
- His mother struggled with schizophrenia and was placed in an asylum.
- He used to smoke prior to his marriage.
- It was in the year 1947 that Prince Philip became a naturalized British subject.
- In the 2006 biographical drama film, The Queen, he was portrayed by American actor James Cromwell.
- His grandchildren included Prince William, Duke of Cambridge and Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex while his great-grandchildren included Prince George of Cambridge, Princess Charlotte of Cambridge, Prince Louis of Cambridge, and Archie Mountbatten-Windsor.
- He had authored books like Birds from Britannia, A Question of Balance, and Driving and Judging Dressage.
- Prince Philip was the oldest-ever male member of the British royal family.
- At the age of 96, he retired from his royal duties on August 2, 2017.
- In January 2021, he had received the first dose of the COVID-19 vaccine along with Queen Elizabeth.
- In February 2021, he was admitted to the private King Edward VII Hospital after feeling unwell. Later, it was revealed that he was suffering from an infection and was also being treated for a pre-existing heart condition. In March 2021, he was transferred to St. Bartholomew’s Hospital. He lost his life on April 9, 2021, just 2 months before his 100th birthday.
Featured Image by Southbanksteve / Flickr / CC BY-SA 2.0