PURPLE KISS is a South Korean girl group that was formed by RBW in 2020 and its members include Ireh, Yuki, Chaein, Na Go-eun, Dosie, and Swan. The group was originally a septet and also included former member Park Ji-eun who left the group in 2022 due to health-related issues. The group’s discography consists of various extended plays and tracks such as Into Violet, Hide & Seek, Cabin Fever, MemeM, Nerdy, Geekyland, My Heart Skip a Beat, Can We Talk Again, Ponzona, My My, Sweet Juice, and Zombie. It has also been a recipient of many accolades including the 2022 Hallyu Influencer Grand Prize Award for “(World) K-POP Girl Group” and the “Next Generation Hallyu Star Award” at the 2022 Newsis K-EXPO Cultural Awards.
- Na Go-eun – Vocalist, Dancer
- Dosie – Dancer, Vocalist
- Ireh – Dancer, Vocalist
- Yuki – Rapper, Dancer
- Chaein – Vocalist, Dancer, Rapper
- Swan – Vocalist
Seoul, South Korea
RBW, Kakao M, Victor Entertainment
PURPLE KISS released its debut extended play Into Violet on March 15, 2021, via RBW and Kakao Entertainment and it included songs like Can We Talk Again, Hello, Skip Skip, Period (퍼펙트), and My Heart Skip A Beat. The EP peaked at #11 on the South Korean Albums (Gaon) chart.
PURPLE KISS Facts
- The group’s name is a compound word – the word “purple” with the idea that the color is made through more than one color and the word “kiss” as a symbol for love. Therefore, the meaning of PURPLE KISS is to “convey love through various colors of music.”
- PURPLE KISS revealed its 7 members from July 21, 2020, to August 2, 2020 – Ireh on July 21, Swan on July 23, Yuki on July 25, Na Go-eun on July 27, Chaein on July 28, Park Ji-eun on July 31, and Dosie on August 2.
- The girl group released its 2nd extended play Hide & Seek on September 8, 2021, through RBW and its tracklist included Zombie, Cast pearls before swine (돼지 목에 진주 목걸이), Twinkle, So Why, 2am, and ZzZz. The EP peaked at #5 on the South Korean Albums (Gaon) chart.
- The song Zombie from Hide & Seek was placed at number 6 in Dazed‘s list of “The Best K-Pop Tracks of 2021”.
- The group was placed 3rd in Rolling Stone India‘s list of “10 Best K-pop Debuts of 2021”.
- On March 29, 2022, PURPLE KISS released its 3rd extended play titled MemeM and it peaked at #7 on the South Korean Albums (Gaon) chart. It consists of songs like memeM, 날좀봐 (Oh My Gosh), Pretty Psycho, Joah (좋아), Cursor, and Hate Me, Hurt Me, Love Me.
- The track Pretty Psycho from MemeM was ranked #4 in Genius‘ “25 Best K-Pop B-Sides of 2022” list.
- PURPLE KISS released its 4th extended play Geekyland on July 25, 2022, and its lead single was titled Nerdy. The EP peaked at #7 on the South Korean Albums (Gaon) chart.
- It was announced on November 18, 2022, that Park Ji-eun had decided to part ways with the group owing to her poor health condition and anxiety symptoms.
- The group has been part of reality shows like Literally Purple Kiss and Perky Holiday.
- Over the years, the girl group has been nominated for many awards such as the 2020 Asian Pop Music Award for “Best New Artist (Overseas)”, the 2021 Asia Artist Award for “Female Idol Popularity Award”, the 2021 Brand of the Year Award for “Female Rookie Idol Award”, the 2021 Hanteo Music Award for “Rookie Award – Female Group”, the 2022 Golden Disc Awards for “Rookie Artist of the Year” and “Seezn Most Popular Artist Award”, and the 2022 Seoul Music Awards for “Rookie of the Year”, “Popularity Award”, and “K-wave Popularity Award”.
- On February 15, 2023, PURPLE KISS released its 5th extended play Cabin Fever and it peaked at #18 on the South Korean Albums (Gaon) chart. Its lead track was Sweet Juice.
Featured Image by KNTV / YouTube / CC BY 3.0