|Raphaël Varane Quick Info|
|Height||6 ft 3¼ in|
|Date of Birth||April 25, 1993|
Raphaël Varane is a professional football player from France who is good at playing at center-back (or defender) position. In 2010, he was a part of the France U18 team. In 2012, he played for France U20 team. From 2011 to 2012, he played for France U21 team. In 2013, he started playing for France’s senior team. He has also played for French football club Lens from 2010 to 2011.
Raphaël Xavier Varane
Raphaël Varane started his soccer journey at AS Hellemmes. He later joined the youth academy of OSC Lille.
Professional Soccer Player
- Father – Gaston Varane (Worked as an Auxillary Nurse)
- Mother – Annie Varane (English Teacher)
- Siblings – Anthony Varane (Older Brother), Jonathan Varane (Younger Brother). He also has two sisters.
Raphaël Varane is represented by his brother Anthony Varane.
5 – Real Madrid, France National Team
2 – Real Madrid
4 – France National Team
19 – Real Madrid
6 ft 3¼ in or 191 cm
81 kg or 178.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Raphaël Varane has dated
- Camille Tytgat (2015-Present) – Varane got married to his longtime girlfriend Camille Tytgat in a lavish wedding ceremony held at Le Touquet in France in June 2015. The wedding ceremony was attended by his Madrid and French teammates. Varane had been dating Tytgat since they were studying in school and she had moved with him when he was signed by Real Madrid at the age of 18. During the course of their courtship, they have become parents to their son, Ruben.
Race / Ethnicity
On his father’s side, he has Martiniquais ancestry. While on his mother’s side, he has French ancestry.
- Tall Height
- Strong and defined jawline
Raphaël Varane has signed a personal endorsement deal with Nike. He is often seen wearing their cleats during his soccer matches.
He also has used his social media activity to promote products from Nike as well as other brands such as Braun (Personal grooming and skincare brand).
Best Known For
Having played for the Spanish giants Real Madrid for more than 7 years. He has managed to make more than 230 appearances for the club and has cemented his reputation as one of the finest upcoming central defenders.
First Soccer Match
In November 2010, he made his professional debut with French club Lens in a Ligue 1 match against Montpellier. His side emerged as a winner by 2-0 and he was praised for his mature performance.
In September 2011, he made his competitive debut for Real Madrid in a La Liga match against Racing de Santander.
In March 2013, he made his debut for the French national team in a World Cup qualifier match against Georgia.
- Aerial Presence
- Reading of the game
- Technical Ability
Occasionally loses focus and concentration
Raphaël Varane Facts
- In February 2011, he signed a contract extension with Lens that extended his stay at the club to 2015. However, it was widely seen as a move by the French club to get a substantial fee from his impending transfer.
- In the summer of 2011, he was courted by some of the leading clubs including Manchester United and Real Madrid. He decided to join the Spanish club as French legend Zinedine Zidane, who was working as a club advisor, managed to sway Varane. Madrid reportedly paid €10 million for his services and offered him 6 years contract.
- In May 2013, he suffered a knee injury that ruled him out for about 5 months. He made his return from injury in October but a month later, he was again sidelined with another injury.
- During UEFA Champions League final in May 2014, he caused a slight controversy after he kicked the ball towards Atletico Madrid coach Diego Simeone after Ronaldo had scored his side’s last goal in the 4-1 victory. Simeone charged onto the pitch in anger and had to be sent to the stands by the referee.
- In September 2014, he signed a new contract with Real Madrid that extended his contract by 6 years and his stay at the Spanish club to 2020.
- Varane has been linked with a move to Manchester United in almost every summer transfer window. These rumors have only intensified since former Real Madrid coach Jose Mourinho, who gave him his break at the Spanish club, became English club’s manager.
- In September 2017, he signed another contract extension with Real Madrid, which moved him into the category of best earning players at the club. The contract extended his stay at the club to 2022.
- Before he started to completely focus on soccer, he gave rugby a try but didn’t like it enough to sacrifice his passion for soccer.
- When Zidane called him in June 2011 to convince him to move to Real Madrid, Varane asked him to call him back as he was studying for his baccalaureate exam.
- Visit his official website @ raphael-varane.net.
Featured Image by Антон Зайцев / Soccer.ru / CC BY-SA 3.0