|Rita Hayworth Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 6 in|
|Date of Birth||October 17, 1918|
|Date of Death||May 14, 1987|
Rita Hayworth was an American actor, dancer, and producer who established herself as the most glamorous screen idol of the 1940s. She is known for her roles in movies like Gilda, Only Angels Have Wings, The Strawberry Blonde, Blood and Sand, The Lady from Shanghai, Pal Joey, and Separate Tables.
Margarita Carmen Cansino
Rita, The Love Goddess
She was born on October 17, 1918.
On May 14, 1987, Hayworth died from complications associated with Alzheimer’s disease at the age of 68 in New York City, New York, United States.
Holy Cross Cemetery, Culver City, California, United States
Brooklyn, New York City, New York, United States
She resided in Manhattan, New York City, New York, United States.
She started receiving dance lessons from her grandfather Antonio Cansino at a very young age. She completed the 9th grade at Hamilton High School in Los Angeles but never graduated.
Actor, Dancer, Producer
- Father – Eduardo Cansino (March 2, 1895 – December 24, 1968) (Dancer, Actor)
- Mother – Volga Hayworth (August 8, 1897 – January 25, 1945) (Actor, Dancer, Vaudevillian)
- Siblings – Eduardo Cansino, Jr. (October 13, 1919 – March 11, 1974) (Younger Brother), Vernon Cansino (May 21, 1922 – March 23, 1974) (Younger Brother)
- Others – Juan Antonio Anselmo de los Dolores Cansino Avecilla (Paternal Grandfather) (Dancer, Guitarist), Carmen Reina Montero (Paternal Grandmother) (Dancer), Allynn Duran Hayworth (Maternal Grandfather), Margaret Ellen O’Hare (Maternal Grandmother), Elisa Cansino (Paternal Aunt) (Dancer, Vaudevillian), Jose Cansino (Paternal Uncle), Angel Cansino (Paternal Uncle), Paco Cansino (Paternal Uncle), Antonio Jr. Cansino (Paternal Uncle), Rafael Cansino (Paternal Uncle), Vinton Hayworth (June 4, 1906 – May 21, 1970) (Maternal Uncle) (Actor, Playwright, Screenwriter), Gabriel Cansino (Cousin)
Hayworth was managed by Edward Charles Judson (one of her ex-husbands) and Budd Burton Moss.
According to CelebrityNetWorth.com, her net worth was $10 Million.
5 ft 6 in or 167.5 cm
54 kg or 119 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Rita Hayworth had dated –
- Vincent Sherman
- Farley Granger
- Jorge Guinle
- Marlon Brando – RUMOR
- Edward C. Judson (1937-1942) – She was 18 years old when she married Edward C. Judson in Las Vegas in 1937. He was twice more than her age and she filed for divorce on February 24, 1942.
- James Stewart (1939) – RUMOR
- Tony Martin (1940) – RUMOR
- Glenn Ford – She had a long-term on-and-off 40-year affair with Glenn Ford. They started dating during the filming of Gilda in 1945 and he got her pregnant during the filming of The Loves of Carmen. Their romance continued until the early 1980s.
- Anthony Quinn (1941)
- Victor Mature (1942-1943)
- Orson Welles (1943-1947) – On September 7, 1943, she married Orson Welles and their daughter Rebecca was born on December 17, 1944. On November 10, 1947, Rita was granted a divorce.
- Errol Flynn (1946)
- Teddy Stauffer (1947)
- Stephen Crane (1949)
- Prince Aly Khan (1949-1953) – She married Prince Aly Khan on May 27, 1949. Their daughter, Princess Yasmin Aga Khan, was born on December 28, 1949. Hayworth was granted a divorce from Aly Khan on the grounds of extreme mental cruelty in January 1953.
- Gary Merrill (1950-1953)
- Charles K. Feldman (1951) – RUMOR
- Kirk Douglas (1952)
- Dick Haymes (1953-1955) – She was married to Dick Haymes from September 24, 1953, to 1955.
- George Jessel (1956-1957)
- James Hill (1958-1961) – Rita married producer James Hill on February 2, 1958, and filed for divorce on September 1, 1961, citing extreme mental cruelty.
Race / Ethnicity
Mixed (Hispanic and White)
Rita Hayworth was of Spanish (Andalusian) descent on her father’s side and had Irish, English, Scots-Irish/Northern Irish, Scottish, Welsh, Cornish, Czech (Bohemian), Dutch, and German ancestry on her mother’s side.
Reportedly, she changed her hair color 8 times in 8 movies.
Deep seductive voice
She appeared in a magazine ad for Max Factor Hollywood pan-cake makeup in 1943.
Rita Hayworth Facts
- She was a lifelong democrat.
- For her performance in the film Circus World (1964), she was nominated for a Golden Globe Award.
- Actor Fred Astaire named Rita his favorite dance partner.
Featured Image by Columbia Pictures (Photograph by A. L. Schafer) / eBay / Public Domain