Holywood, County Down, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
Rory McIlroy started his primary education at St. Patrick’s Primary School. He was then enrolled in Sullivan Upper School in Holywood, Belfast.
He started his golf education at the Holywood Golf Club. Soon, Michael Bannon took him under his wings and shaped his career.
In 2004, he did win the college golf scholarship from East Tennessee State University, but opted against joining the university to continue his amateur golf career in Europe.
Professional Golf Player
- Father – Gerry McIlroy (Former Amateur Golf Player)
- Mother – Rosie McIlroy
- Siblings – None
Rory McIlroy was earlier represented by Horizon Sports Management.
However, in 2013, he terminated his contract with the agency and founded Rory McIlroy Inc. to look after his commercial interests.
5 ft 8½ in or 174 cm
73 kg or 161 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Rory McIlroy dated –
- Holly Sweeney (2003-2011) – Rory McIlroy and Holly Sweeney were childhood friends and eventually started going out in 2003. Holly was living in with Rory at his luxury home near Belfast by the time their relationship turned sour. The reason for their break up was Rory’s affection for the tennis star Caroline Wozniacki, whom he met at a boxing match.
- Caroline Wozniacki (2011-2014) – Rory started seeing Danish tennis player Caroline while he was still in a relationship with Holly. Soon, Rory asked Holly to move out and was seen with Caroline on a number of red carpet events. They got engaged on December 31, 2013, however a month after the public announcement of the engagement, Rory called off the wedding. In a public statement, Rory revealed that arranging wedding invitations before the marriage made him realize that he wasn’t ready for the commitment.
- Meghan Markle (2014) – Rory was RUMORed to have had a short-lived affair with American actress Meghan Markle in 2014 after they were pictured having a cozy dinner and the golf star had nominated her for the ice bucket challenge.
- Erica Stoll (2015-Present) – Rory and Erica were close friends while Rory was dating Caroline, having met in September 2012. Rory was participating in Ryder cup and Erica was the manager of PGA of America, which was hosting the event. Their relationship blossomed in 2015 and by December 2015, they had got engaged. In April 2017, the couple got married.
Race / Ethnicity
- Curly hair
- Speckles on the face
Over the past few years, McIlroy has emerged as one of the most marketable stars and Nike moved quickly to snap him on a long-term deal in 2013. He was featured in a number of ad campaigns including one in which he starred with Manchester United star Wayne Rooney.
He has been seen in TV commercials for –
- Omega Watches (August 2014)
- FedEx Playoffs Tour Championship by Coca-Cola (September 2014)
Best Known For
- Being one of best young golfers around.
- Being one of the most high profile Northern Ireland sportspersons.
Rory McIlroy hasn’t worked in a theatrical film yet.
First TV Show
His first TV appearance came in the TV series Kelly as himself in an episode dated September 24, 2004.
In 2010, Rory hired Steve McGregor to upgrade his fitness and to take the final step towards stardom in golf. Steve initially focused on bridging the gap between his strong right side and weaker left side. Therefore, his workout was dominated by lots of single arm dumbbell moves.
Special emphasis was also placed on making the lower body stronger, which helped him inject explosive power in his swings. It also made him more stable while hitting the balls over a long distance. For the same goal, he also worked on his core.
You can take a look at his sample workout in the video below, made in collaboration with Nike.
Rory McIlroy Favorite Things
- Role Model – Tiger Woods
- Ulster Rugby Player – Darren Cave
- Car – McLaren P1
- Beer – Heineken
- Band – Coldplay
Source – Belfast Live
Rory McIlroy Facts
- Rory was introduced to golf at a very young age by his father, who himself was an amateur golfer.
- In 2011, Rory McIlroy became the first player in the history of the game to garner €10 million on the European tour in career winnings.
- Rory, in 2007, was the top-ranked player at the age of 17 for one week.
- Rory is a big fan of English Premier League club Manchester United.
- In 2012, he was awarded the distinction of Member of the Order of the British Empire by the Queen for his immense contribution to the sports.
- In 2014, he became the third player after Jack Nicklaus and Tiger Woods to claim all three major tour wins by the age of 25.
- Rory McIlroy serves as the UNICEF ambassador for Ireland and his first visit in this ambassadorial role was to Haiti in June 2011.
- In 2012, after winning the PGA Championship, he created history by becoming the first Irish player to climb pinnacle of the professional rankings.
- In 2012, he had nearly missed out on playing on the final day of the Ryder Cup because he overslept and was escorted to the course by a police officer just 12 minutes before his tee time.
- In 2015, he was rewarded with a European Tour Golfer of the Year Award, which was the third time that he claimed this prestigious award.
- Visit his official website @ rorymcilroy.com.
- You can follow him on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.