|Saina Nehwal Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 5 in|
|Date of Birth||March 17, 1990|
Saina Nehwal is an Indian professional badminton player who has won several international tournaments including numerous BWF (Badminton World Federation) Superseries titles and is considered as one of the female pioneers in the rise of racquet sports in India. She became, in 2015, the first Indian female player, and only the 2nd Indian after Prakash Padukone, to achieve the World No. 1 ranking. She won the Bronze medal in the women’s singles event at the 2012 London Olympic Games, the Silver medal at the 2015 Jakarta World Championships and the Bronze medal at the 2017 Glasgow World Championships. Saina has also won the women’s singles Gold medal at the 2010 New Delhi Commonwealth Games and the 2018 Gold Coast Commonwealth Games. At the mixed team event at the Commonwealth Games, she had won the Bronze medal (2006, Melbourne), the Silver Medal (2010, New Delhi), and the Gold Medal (2018, Gold Coast). She has been honored by the Government of India with several accolades – the Arjuna Award in 2009, the Padma Shri in 2010, the Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna in 2010, and the Padma Bhushan in 2016.
Hisar, Haryana, India
Hyderabad, Telangana, India
Saina had attended the Campus School in Hisar. When her father was transferred to Hyderabad, she joined the St. Ann’s College for Women and completed her high school graduation from there.
Professional Badminton Player
- Father – Harvir Singh Nehwal (Agricultural Scientist, Former Badminton Player)
- Mother – Usha Rani Nehwal (Former Badminton Player)
- Siblings – Chandranshu Nehwal (Older Sister)
She is represented by Fair Play Sports Management, Mumbai, Maharashtra, India.
5 ft 5 in or 165 cm
65 kg or 143.5 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Saina has dated –
- Parupalli Kashyap (2018-Present) – Saina got married to fellow Indian professional badminton player Parupalli Kashyap on December 14, 2018.
Race / Ethnicity
- Toned physique
- Charming smile
- Shoulder-length, straight hair
- Has a mole on her left cheek
Saina has endorsed and promoted brands such as –
- Bharat Petroleum
- Commune Builder
- Edelweiss Group
- Fortune cooking oil
- Godrej No Marks cream
- Herbalife Nutrition
- Huawei Honor
- Indian Overseas Bank
- National Egg Coordination Committee (NECC)
- Sahara Group
- Star Sports
- Top Ramen
Saina Nehwal Facts
- She was the first Indian player to have won at least 1 medal in every BWF major individual event i.e. the Olympics, the BWF World Championships, and the BWF World Junior Championships.
- Saina holds the record of being the first Indian badminton player, male or female, to have won an Olympic medal. She is also the first Indian to win a Super Series title.
- Saina captained the Indian women’s team to the Bronze medal at the 2014 Uber Cup held in New Delhi. She was undefeated through the tournament and it was the first time that India had won a medal in any BWF major team event. She was also a member of the Indian team that won the Bronze medal at the 2016 Kunshan Uber Cup.
- Her autobiography titled Playing to Win: My Life On and Off Court, was published in 2012.
- She holds a brown belt in Karate.
Featured Image by Saina Nehwal / Instagram