|Samantha Morton Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 3 in|
|Date of Birth||May 13, 1977|
Samantha Morton is an English actor, voice actor, writer, and director who has been a recipient of several accolades, including a British Academy Television Award, a British Independent Film Award, and a Golden Globe Award as well as nominations for 2 Academy Awards, a Primetime Emmy Award, and a British Academy Film Award. Her film credits include Under the Skin, Sweet and Lowdown, Dreaming of Joseph Lees, Pandaemonium, Minority Report, Mister Lonely, In America, Lassie, Enduring Love, River Queen, Elizabeth: The Golden Age, Expired, The Messenger, Decoding Annie Parker, Cosmopolis, Decoding Annie Parker, The Harvest, Miss Julie, Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, and Synecdoche, New York. Samantha Morton is also known for her television roles like playing Naomi “Tracy” Richardson in the crime drama series Band of Gold, Alpha in the post-apocalyptic horror series The Walking Dead, Margaret Wells in the period drama series Harlots, and Naomi in the crime drama series The Last Panthers.
Samantha Jane Morton
Nottingham, Nottinghamshire, England, United Kingdom
Spitalfields area of London, England, United Kingdom
She went to West Bridgford Comprehensive School, Nottingham.
Morton then went to Clarendon College of Performing Arts in 1991, but she left it for personal reasons.
Samantha completed her graduation in drama from the Theatre School at DePaul University in 1997.
She received an honorary degree of Doctor of Letters (DLitt) from Nottingham Trent University on July 20, 2011.
Actor, Voice Actor, Writer, Director, Producer
- Father – Peter Morton
- Mother – Pamela Freebury (Factory Worker)
- Siblings – Beothe Marcus (Brother) (born 1971) (Royal Marine), Penny (Sister, born 1972) (Works with children with learning disabilities). Apart from that, she has 6 half-siblings from her parents’ relationships.
- Others – Daniel Morton (Cousin) (Actor), Bruno Mallek (Maternal Grandfather), Iris A. Gretton (Maternal Grandmother)
Samantha Morton has been signed with talent agencies –
- Conway Van Gelder Grant Ltd., Talent Agency, London, England, United Kingdom
- Principato Young Entertainment
- United Talent Agency, Talent Agency, Beverly Hills, California, United States
Her net worth has been $10 Million according to CelebrityNetWorth.com.
5 ft 3 in or 160 cm
61.2 kg or 135 pounds
Boyfriend / Spouse
Samantha Morton has dated –
- Charlie Creed-Miles (1999-2000) – Samantha Morton and Charlie Creed-Miles (actor and musician) worked together in the movie The Last Yellow (1999) and hence started dating in 1999 itself and got married even. They have a biological daughter together, named Esme (born on February 5, 2000). Their relationship ended within a year after they split in 2000.
- Harry Holm (2005-Present) – After her separation from Charlie, Samantha started dating filmmaker Harry Holm, son of Sir Ian Holm (English actor) after meeting him during the filming of the music video for the band “The Vitamins,” which Harry was directing. The couple is engaged since 2006 and has two children. The first one named, Edie (daughter) was born on January 4, 2008, and their second daughter was born in 2012.
Race / Ethnicity
Samantha Morton is of English and Polish descent.
She is religious.
She believes in the Christian faith. (via Guardian)
Her voluptuous body
37-27-36 in or 94-68.5-91.5 cm
10 (US) or 42 (EU) or 14 (UK)
Her shoe is speculated to be of size 8 (US).
Best Known For
Her acclaimed roles in movies like Under the Skin (1997), Sweet and Lowdown (1999), In America (2003), and television drama film Longford (2006).
Samantha Morton made her debut in the TV film Emma (1996) playing the role of Harriet Smith.
Next, she appeared in the Irish film This Is the Sea in the role of Hazel Stokes.
First TV Show
Initially, when Samantha was 13, she appeared in miniature roles in Soldier Soldier and Boon.
She then appeared on television in ITV’s crime drama series Crackers in 1994 as murder victim Joanne Barnes in just 3 episodes for a guest appearance.
Though she appeared in smaller roles prior to appearing in Band of Gold. But, her role as Naomi Tracey Richardson in ITV’s other drama series Band of Gold from 1995 to 1996 could be considered her first breakthrough on TV.
Samantha exercises under the supervision of Kathryn Freeland of Absolute Bootcamp London.
Though she is not strict with rigorous workouts, she follows fat-burning cardio, strength and toning exercises, does leg and back extensions 4-5 times a week, and follows an organic diet.
Samantha Morton Favorite Things
- Book – Divided Kingdom (By Rupert Thomson)
- Person, She Admires – Michael Fassbender (German-Irish actor and producer)
- Word – Pili-pala (Welsh word, meaning butterfly)
Source – Guardian
Samantha Morton Facts
- Samantha knows a little bit of Welsh. She has tried to learn it in the past.
- At the age of 3, she relocated with her father (after her parents separated) and lived with him until she was 8. After that, she spent 9 years in foster care and children’s homes.
- She has eight siblings in total.
- In an interview, she revealed that she faced sexual abuse while in foster care.
- Samantha moved to London at the age of 16.
- She applied to various drama schools after relocating to London but got no positive response.
- When Morton was at a children’s home in Nottingham (at the age of 14), she was accused of threatening to kill a fellow girl and was sentenced to serve 18 weeks in an attendance center.
- She has also stated that while in the children’s home, she was not allowed to go to the home of her parents.
- In the past, Samantha has turned down a couple of roles in the movies like Girl, Interrupted (1999) as Lisa, Hamlet (2000) for the role of Ophelia, Iris (2011) for the title role, etc.
- She also remained homeless for a year (aged 13-14) and used to sleep in bus shelters and at friends’ houses.
- She dropped out of school at the age of 13 (in 1991) and attended Central Junior Television Workshop. Subsequently, she fetched some minor roles in various TV series.
- If she weren’t an actress, then she would have been into social work or maybe politics.
- Her directorial debut The Unloved (British television drama, 2009) was based on her experiences in foster care.
- Samantha turned down the offer to play Ophelia in Hamlet to work in Woody Allen’s Sweet and Lowdown (1999).
- She would want The Birdie Song to be played at her funeral.
- She provided vocals to the character of Sonia in the English dub of the 2006 adult computer-animated comedy film Free Jimmy.
- She was addicted to drugs at the age of 14.
- She once had a severe stroke in early 2007.
- Samantha has appeared in music videos – U2’s Electrical Storm (2002), The Horrors’ Sheena is a Parasite (2006), and The Killers’ Shadowplay (2007).
- In 2009, she brought to life the character of Olivia Pitterson in the war drama film The Messenger. For this performance, she won the San Diego Film Critics Society Award for “Best Supporting Actress”.
- Before working with Woody Allen in Sweet and Lowdown, she had never seen any of Woody Allen’s movies.
- Alongside Michael Shannon and Natasha Calis, she co-starred as Dr. Katherine Young in the 2013 horror thriller film The Harvest. This role won her the BloodGuts UK Horror Award for “Best Actress”.