|Sameera Reddy Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 6½ in|
|Date of Birth||December 14, 1980|
Sameera Reddy is a former Indian actress who is distinguished for her work in the Hindi showbiz industry. However, she has also appeared in several hit Bengali, Telugu, Malayalam, and Tamil films as well. Some of her most notable roles were in the films Darna Mana Hai (2003), Musafir (2004), Jai Chiranjeeva (2005), Ashok (2006), Race (2008), Varanam Aayiram (2008), De Dana Dan (2009), Aakrosh (2010), Oru Naal Vaarum (2010), Vettai (2012), Tezz (2012), and Taxi Number 9211 (2006). Besides that, she has also appeared in various music videos such as for Ahista (1998) and Tere Aane Ki Jab Khabar Mehke (2000). Furthermore, Sameera is also the younger sister of Bollywood actress, video jockey, model, and producer Sushama Reddy and video jockey and supermodel Meghna Reddy. Sameera also has more than 300k followers on Instagram, more than 700k followers on Twitter, and more than 2 million followers on Facebook.
Rajahmundry, Andhra Pradesh, India
She divides her time between Mumbai, Maharashtra and Chennai, Tamil Nadu.
Sameera completed her schooling from Bombay Scottish School in Mahim, Mumbai. After that, she graduated from the prestigious Sydenham College of Commerce and Economics in Mumbai.
- Father – Chintapoli Reddy (Businessman)
- Mother – Nakshatra Reddy (Microbiologist, Socialite)
- Siblings – Meghna Reddy (Older Sister) (Video Jockey, Supermodel), Sushama Reddy (Older Sister) (Actress, Video Jockey, Producer, Model)
5 ft 6½ in or 169 cm
65 kg or 143.5 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Sameera has dated –
- Jr. NTR – In the past, Sameera was rumored to be dating actor Jr. NTR. However, the actress denied all the rumors saying that they shared nothing more than a close friendship.
- Akshai Varde (2014-Present) – Sameera got married to businessman Akshai Varde on January 21, 2014. After that, Sameera gave up her acting career and went on to join her husband’s custom bikes and rider apparel brand Vardenchi. The duo has a son named Hans (b. November 14, 2014). As of February 2019, the couple was expecting their 2nd child.
Race / Ethnicity
She is of Telugu heritage.
- Plush lips
- Thick eyebrows
Sameera has done endorsement work for several brands including MTS.
Best Known For
- Being cast as Shruti in Darna Mana Hai (2003), Sam in Musafir (2004), Shilaja in Jai Chiranjeeva (2005), Anjali in Ashok (2006), Rupali in Taxi Number 9211 (2006), Mini in Race (2008), Meghna in Varanam Aayiram (2008), Manpreet in De Dana Dan (2009), as a dancer in Aakrosh (2010), Meera in Oru Naal Vaarum (2010), Vasanthi in Vettai (2012), and Megha in Tezz (2012)
- Being nominated for several awards such as a Filmfare Award in 2003, Stardust Award in 2004, and Vijay Award in 2008
- Becoming the first Indian actress to have her very own video game titled Sameera:The Street Fighter
- Her work alongside some of Bollywood’s biggest names such as Anil Kapoor, Aditya Pancholi, Koena Mitra, John Abraham, Nana Patekar, Saif Ali Khan, Shahrukh Khan, Bipasha Basu, and Ajay Devgan
Sameera made her debut Hindi theatrical film appearance as Ayesha Verma in Maine Dil Tujhko Diya in 2002. She starred alongside Sohail Khan and Sanjay Dutt.
She made her first Telugu theatrical film appearance as Palakad Papa in Narasimhudu in 2005.
Sameera made her debut Bengali feature film appearance as Rekha in Ami, Yasin Ar Amar Madhubala in 2007.
She made her first Tamil theatrical film appearance as Meghna in Vaaranam Aayiram in 2008.
Sameera made her debut Malayalam theatrical film appearance as Meera in Oru Naal Varum in 2010.
She made her first Kannada theatrical film appearance as Lakshmi in Varadhanayaka in 2013.
First TV Show
Sameera made her debut TV show appearance as Anita Chada in the drama-based show Casualty in 2005.
During her time as an actress, she did go to the gym on a daily basis to keep herself fit and healthy. However, post-pregnancy she had started to put on weight and within 4 months time, her weight increased by 32 kilos. At one point during her pregnancy, Sameera had touched a whopping 102 kgs. So, in order to reduce her weight, she had to undergo intense cardio and weight training as well as maintain a strict diet.
She got back into shape with the help of yogi Pramila Varyani, yogi and calisthenics trainer Aditya Shroff, fitness, kickboxing, and functional trainer Ivan Fernandes, and fitness trainer Nyela Saeed Kapadia.
In June 2019, Sameera was body shamed by trollers after she had uploaded a picture of herself in a bikini flaunting her baby bump. Fueled by the comments she had received, Sameera commented “I want to ask a very important question: Where did all of you (trolls) come from? Everyone came out of their mom only, no? It is shameful (to troll)… because it is a natural process. It is so beautiful and amazing. There are sexy ones like Kareena [Kapoor Khan], who come out of it pretty hot and there are people like me, who take time.”
Sameera Reddy Facts
- She was raised in a Telugu speaking family that originally belonged to a small town in Rajahmundry, Andhra Pradesh.
- She is a trained classical dancer.
- Until the age of 19, she was rather plump and also wore a pair of spectacles. She also described herself as being tomboyish and the “ugly duckling in the family”.
- In 2006, Sameera voiced the character of Ancient Warrior Princess in her own game titled Sameera: The Street Fighter. She went on to be recognized as the first actress in India to have a game of her own.
- Prior to becoming an actress, she worked as a model and went on to take up a job as a marketing executive at a multi-national organization.
- In the past, Sameera was considered to be cast in the Tamil film Citizen (2001). However, she was denied the role due to conflicting commitments.
- Her older sisters Sushama and Meghna Reddy are also very popular in the entertainment industry. Meghna worked as a video jockey for Channel V’s Mangta Hai and a model for Macy’s, whereas, Sushama has modeled for various commercials such as Limca, Fair & Lovely, Liberty, Godrej, Blender’s Pride, and Ford Icon. She also hosted several shows on Channel V and starred in several films such as Chocolate: Deep Dark Secrets (2005) and Don: The Chase Begins Again (2006).
- In 2012, she judged the 2012 “Miss Sri Lanka Online” contest. The members of the panel also included actor Vivek Oberoi, 2012 winner of America’s Got Talent Andrew De Silva, former Miss Sri Lanka for Miss World Yureni Noshika, and many others.
- She enjoys eating all kinds of food that she can get her hands on. However, she prefers to consume it in moderation. She also eats mostly at smaller restaurants rather than fancy expensive places.
- Sameera was spotted for the first time in singer Pankaj Udhas’s Aur Aahista music video in 1997.
- She is a huge supporter of American media executive, actress, talk show host, television producer, and philanthropist Oprah Gail Winfrey. Sameera also met her once at a party hosted by philanthropist Parmeshwar Godrej. Sameera had also gifted Oprah a saree similar to her’s as Oprah had spoken well about the saree that she had worn to the party.
- She is said to be an introvert and moody person at times.
- She is very fond of collecting stuffed turtles.
- When she was pregnant with her first child Hans, Sameera was diagnosed with placenta previa, due to which she was bedridden for 4 to 5 months. This caused her to put on a lot of weight. At one point in time, she had also reached an astounding 102 kgs. Sameera had gone into depression for a short while. However, with therapy and lots of love and support from her family, she managed to make a full recovery.
- In an interview with Hindi Rush, Sameera stated that when she made the choice to quit acting in 2014, nobody from the showbiz industry bothered to come forward to even ask her why she had moved away from the limelight. She also stated that she does not blame anyone as “our industry is such”.
- During an interview with India Today, Sameera stated that she had been approached inappropriately on more than one occasion, during her time as an actress.
- Follow her on Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook.
Featured Image By Bollywood Hungama / Wikimedia / CC-BY-3.0