|Sarafina El-Badry Nance Quick Info
|5 ft 5 in
Sarafina El-Badry Nance is an American science communicator, astrophysicist, analog astronaut, model, and author who is known for her use of social media to discuss astrophysics and activism.
Sarafina El-Badry Nance
Austin, Texas, United States
Berkeley, Alameda County, California, United States
Sarafina El-Badry Nance studied at St. Stephen’s Episcopal School, a private coeducational preparatory boarding and day school situated in Austin, Texas. She then got enrolled at the University of Texas at Austin‘s College of Natural Sciences and earned a dual Bachelor of Science (B.S.) degree in physics and astronomy in 2016. Her honors thesis was titled “A Theoretical Investigation of Supernovae Progenitors” and J. Craig Wheeler served as her advisor. In the thesis, she used asteroseismology to understand stars that were about to undergo a supernova and her research focussed on Betelgeuse.
Also, she was named a Dean’s Honour scholarship while she was an undergraduate student at UT Austin and went on to participate in a National Science Foundation summer program at Harvard University. She also attended the University of California, Berkeley located in Berkeley, California for her graduate studies and there she investigated supernovae and used them as a means to study both the makeup and ultimate fate of the universe. She subsequently received a Master of Science (M.S.) degree in astronomy and then began a doctoral program. She has studied the evolutionary state of Betelgeuse.
Science Communicator, Astrophysicist, Analog Astronaut, Model, Author
5 ft 5 in or 165 cm
54 kg or 119 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Sarafina El-Badry Nance has dated –
- Taylor Nielsen – She has been romantically involved with Taylor Nielsen and the duo got married in 2023.
Race / Ethnicity
Pierced ears and nose
Sarafina El-Badry Nance Facts
- Sarafina El-Badry Nance uses she/her/hers pronouns.
- She spent her childhood years growing up in Austin, Texas.
- She was quite young when she got inclined toward the solar system and used to listen to StarDate on the radio on her way home from school.
- She has stated that it was her physics teacher, Frank Mikan, at St. Stephen’s Episcopal School’s high school who encouraged her love of space science.
- Sarafina El-Badry Nance served as an intern at the McDonald Observatory during the first year of her undergraduate degree.
- She has worked with the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory Centre for Computational Cosmology to use supercomputers to build models of the explosions of supernovae in their final stages.
- When she was in her early 20s, it was identified that Sarafina El-Badry Nance had inherited the BRCA2 gene (known to be a predictor of breast cancer) from her father and after searching for the best local surgeons, Nance underwent the surgery in 2019.
- As part of Women’s History Month, she was included in Forbes‘ list of 30 inspirational women in March 2021.
- Sarafina El-Badry Nance has hosted the internet television astronomy series named Constellations which was released by Seeker on January 15, 2021.
- One of her tweets highlighting the importance of failures in science went viral on Twitter and was picked up by Sundar Pichai.
- An advocate for women’s health, Sarafina El-Badry Nance has also supported causes related to science, technology, engineering, and mathematics.
- She has garnered a decent social media fan base with more than 200k followers on Twitter and more than 80k followers on Instagram.
Featured Image by Animaltracksquasar / Wikimedia / CC BY-SA 4.0 DEED