|Sundar Pichai Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 10 in|
|Date of Birth||July 12, 1972|
|Spouse||Anjali Pichai née Haryani|
Sundar Pichai who was born as Pichai Sundararajan is an Indian-American business executive. He joined Google in 2004 after clearing their interviews. After 11 years, in 2015, he got the opportunity to serve as the CEO of the tech giant, Google, for which he is best known for. During these, 11 years, he was rumored to have got the offer to be Microsoft’s third CEO. But, he rejected it.
Sundar has served as the board member of Magic Leap, CapitalG (formerly Google Capital), and Alphabet Inc.
Madurai, Tamil Nadu, India
Los Altos Hills, Santa Clara County, Californa, United States
Till 10th grade, Sundar studied in Jawahar Vidyalaya in Ashok Nagar, Chennai.
He completed his remaining senior secondary education from Vana Vani School situated on the campus of the Indian Institute of Technology Madras also in Chennai, Tamil Nadu.
He earned his Bachelor’s degree in Metallurgical Engineering from the Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur, West Bengal, India.
On the basis of his academic credentials and a professor’s recommendation, Sundar gained a scholarship to study Masters in Science in Material Sciences and Engineering from Stanford University in California, USA.
For a brief while, he was hired to work as a product manager and an engineer at Applied Materials, a Silicon Valley-based company.
Thereafter, he achieved an MBA from the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania.
Being a talented student who graduated in the top 5% of his class, Sundar was named a Siebel Scholar and a Palmer Scholar.
Business Executive (Chief Executive Officer of Google since August 2015)
- Father – Regunatha Pichai (Electrical Engineer)
- Mother – Lakshmi (Stenographer)
- Siblings – One younger brother
5 ft 10 in or 178 cm
68 kg or 150 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
- Anjali Pichai née Haryani (1989-Present) – Sundar met his wife-to-be while pursuing a college education at IIT Kharagpur. Anjali is from Rajasthan, India, and studied chemical engineering in Sundar’s batch. They became good friends in the initial years of their study and started dating in the last year of their bachelor’s course. However, soon after, Sundar had to leave India for higher education in the USA and due to the scarcity of money, he could barely afford to talk to Anjali once in 6 months. Meanwhile, Anjali worked as a Business Analyst for Accenture for 3 years and later managed to get a job in the USA to join Sundar. Once, the couple reunited, they got married soon thereafter. Together, they have a son named Kavya and a daughter named Kiran. Anjali works as a Business Operations Manager at Intuit based in the San Francisco Bay Area. It is widely stated that she is partly responsible for Sundar’s rise to the CEO position at Google because she discouraged him from taking competing job offers.
Race / Ethnicity
He has South Indian ancestry.
- Thin and lanky build
- Big and prominent front upper teeth
- Mole on the left cheek below the eye
He promotes all Google-related products and services being the company’s CEO.
His religious beliefs are not confirmed.
But, Sundar’s family subscribes to Hinduism since he was born in a Tamil Brahmin family.
Best Known For
- Being the former Product Chief turned Chief Executive Officer of Google which is now a subsidiary of a much larger company called Alphabet led by Larry Page.
- Sundar was behind the launch of Google Chrome in 2008.
- As a Product Chief, he was behind major decisions related to the development of popular software products such as Chrome OS, Google Drive, Gmail, Google Maps, Apps, and Android among others.
First TV Show
From 2014 to 2015, Sundar was a part of 3 TV documentaries namely –
- Click (Episode aired in June 2014)
- His biography was captured and aired in The Android King: Sundar Pichai (2015).
- The presenter during the 2016 Breakthrough Prize Ceremony in 2015.
Sundar’s first television appearance in India was featured on Star Plus channel. He was interviewed by the Indian Film Star Shahrukh Khan in January 2018 on Ted Talks India: Nayi Soch – Episode 4. The Google CEO made an appearance through Beam Pro Telepresence technology.
- Sundar is not a morning person and wakes up the latest by 7 am. He starts his day by reading the Wall Street Journal alongside a breakfast of eggs, toast, and tea.
- He primarily consumes a vegetarian diet which additionally includes dairy and eggs.
- He works in a bare, minimalist, and austerely clean office and loves to pace around while thinking.
- Whenever Sundar needs to devote considerable thought to anything, he heads out for a walk.
- If he has time to spare, Sundar makes time for exercise or visit the gym later in the evening.
Sundar Pichai’s Favorite Things
- Food – Curd Rice
- Sport – Cricket, Soccer
- Cricketers – Sunil Gavaskar, Sachin Tendulkar, Virat Kohli
- Soccer Player – Lionel Messi
- Sports Team – FC Barcelona (Soccer), Golden State Warriors (Basketball)
- Bollywood Actress – Deepika Padukone
- TV Show – Game of Thrones
- Movie – Star Trek Franchise
- Role Model – N.R. Narayana Murthy (Infosys co-founder)
Source – News Mobile, India Today, Man’s World India, Huffington Post, BeingGuru.com
Sundar Pichai’s Facts
- One of Sundar’s childhood aspirations was to become a cricketer.
- His family was not very affluent. He slept in the living room with his younger brother in a two-room apartment.
- Sundar’s home had no television during his childhood. When he was 12, his family got a rotary telephone for the first time. After a few years, they got a refrigerator and his mother did not have to cook every day. The life-changing convenience of technology is what got him interested in this field.
- As a teenager, he developed the unique talent of memorizing every phone number he ever dialed on his rotary telephone and became a walking phone book for all his relatives.
- He wrote his first software program to create a chess game.
- Although he earned a complete scholarship to Stanford, his father had to withdraw $1000 from his savings which was more than his annual salary to cover the cost of Sundar’s plane tickets and other expenses to make it to the USA.
- He took up a job as a management consultant at Mckinsey & Company in 2002 before he joined Google in 2004.
- Sundar’s job interview at Google was on April 1, 2004, which was also the day, they launched Gmail. He presumed the email service was just another April fool’s prank by the company.
- In 2006, Microsoft made Bing the default search engine on Internet Explorer instead of Google. Sundar reached out to computer manufacturers and convinced them to preinstall the Google toolbar to retain Google’s popularity with its users.
- He also persuaded Google founders, Larry Page and Sergey Brin, to create their own browser which led to the formation of Google Chrome which is now the most used Internet browser.
- In 2011, Sundar was considered for the role of Vice President Product at Twitter and in 2014, he was rumored to be in the middle of negotiations to become Microsoft’s third CEO. However, he turned down both offers.
- Sundar is responsible for the integration of Android into Google applications when he took over Andy Rubin’s role in 2013.
- He believes small companies can achieve a lot more than large companies and hence, likes to form small teams assigned with specific goals to maintain nimble productivity in the company.
- In January 2022, an FIR (First Information Report) was filed against Pichai and 7 others in Mumbai, India for copyright infringement by film director and producer, Suneel Darshan. As per Suneel, somebody had uploaded his film Ek Haseena Thi Ek Deewana Tha (2017) on YouTube without seeking permission.
- He had received the third-highest civilian award of India, Padma Bhushan, on the eve of India’s 73rd Republic Day in January 2022 along with Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella and Tata Group Chairperson Natarajan Chandrasekaran.
- Starting in 2020, he earned $2 million yearly as basic pay.
- In 2019, it was announced that if he would achieve all his performance targets in the next 3 years, then he would be eligible to receive $240 million in stock awards. In 2023, he actually received $218 million of Alphabet’s stocks plus other benefits, totaling $226 million.
Featured Image by Steven Zimmerman / Wikimedia / CC BY-SA 4.0