|Shaheen Afridi Quick Info|
|Height||6 ft 6 in|
|Date of Birth||April 6, 2000|
Shaheen Afridi is a Pakistani professional cricketer who has represented his country in all 3 formats of the sport (Tests, ODIs, and T20Is), as a frontline pace bowler. Before breaking into the senior national team in all 3 formats in the same year (2018), he had starred in Pakistan’s 3rd-place finish at the 2018 Under-19 ICC Cricket World Cup, as the team’s leading wicket-taker (12 wickets) in the tournament. In the Pakistani domestic circuit, he has played for the departmental team Khan Research Laboratories (2017); and the regional/state teams Balochistan (2018), Northern (2019-20), and Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (2020-21) across all 3 formats. A rare occurrence in modern cricket, Shaheen has also played domestic cricket outside of his home country representing Hampshire County Cricket Club (2020) in England. In franchise-based T20 leagues, he has turned out for Dhaka Dynamites (2017) in the BPL (Bangladesh Premier League) and Lahore Qalandars (2018–Present) in the PSL (Pakistan Super League).
Shaheen Shah Afridi
Landi Kotal, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, Pakistan
- Father – Ayaz Khan (Former Government Officer)
- Siblings – Riaz Afridi (Older Brother) (Former Professional Cricketer). He has 5 other older brothers.
- Others – Yasir Afridi (Cousin) (Soccer Player)
He is represented by Talha Aisham, Manager and Booking Agent, Saya Corporation, Sports Management Agency, Pittsburgh, Allegheny County, Pennsylvania, United States.
- 40 – Test Match, One Day International (ODI), T20 International (T20I), Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (Pakistani Domestic Cricket), Hampshire County Cricket Club (English Domestic Cricket)
- 10 – Northern (Pakistani Domestic Cricket), Lahore Qalandars (PSL)
6 ft 6 in or 198 cm
83 kg or 183 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
He has dated –
- Aqsa – In March 2021, legendary Pakistani former professional cricketer Shahid Afridi had tweeted that Shaheen’s family had asked his eldest daughter Aqsa’s hand in marriage. It was later reported in Pakistani media that both families had agreed to the match although no date for their engagement had been set. It was also unclear whether Shaheen and Aqsa had ever dated until then as it was quite likely that the two families had directly met for the proposal given their common connection with cricket and their standing in the larger Afridi tribe. On December 30, 2022, Aqsa married Naseer Nasir.
- Ansha Afridi – In December 2022, it was reported that Shaheen was set to tie the knot with Ansha Afridi (b. 2000), another daughter of Shahid Afridi, in February 2023. On February 3, 2023, the couple got married in Karachi. Many Pakistani cricketers such as Babar Azam, Naseem Shah, Sarfaraz Ahmed, Fakhar Zaman, and Shadab Khan were present at the wedding. The ‘rukhsati’ ceremony was held on September 19, 2023 in Karachi.
Race / Ethnicity
He is of Pashtun (Zakha Khel clan of the Afridi tribe) descent.
- Toned physique
- Side-parted, wavy hair
- Clean-shaven look
Shaheen Afridi Facts
- In the 2nd innings of his first-class debut match, for Khan Research Laboratories in the 2017–18 season of the Quaid-e-Azam Trophy, Shaheen had recorded phenomenal figures of 8/39. This was the then-best performance by a Pakistani bowler on his first-class debut.
- In September 2020, during the T20 Blast (England’s premier domestic T20 competition), he had achieved the rare feat of picking up 4 wickets in 4 successive balls, eventually ending up with a scarcely believable spell of 6/19.
- The following month, in the 2020–21 edition of the National T20 Cup in Pakistan, he had recorded match figures of 5/20 and 5/21 in the space of 4 days.
- During the 2019 ICC Cricket World Cup, he had produced a spell of 6/35 in Pakistan’s match against Bangladesh, becoming the youngest bowler to take a 5-wicket haul in a World Cup match.
- Shaheen was ruled out of Asia Cup 2022 after he got injured in the right knee ligament while fielding during the First Test against Sri Lanka in Galle in July 2022. He was sent to London for rehabilitation because of the injury.
- On November 6, 2022, Shaheen recorded his best bowling figures in T20I cricket which were 4-0-22-4 against Bangladesh in the T20 World Cup 2022 Super 12 stage match.
- In 2023, he made a world record for taking most wickets in the 1st over of a T20 innings. While playing for Nottinghamshire Outlaws’, Afridi took 4 wickets in the 1st over against Birmingham Bears. He dismissed Alex Davies, Chris Benjamin, Dan Mousley, and Ed Barnard.
- In September 2023, he became the 1st bowler to dismiss both India’s Rohit Sharma and Virat Kohli ‘bowled’ in the same innings.
- In October 2023, Shaheen became the fastest pacer to pick 100 wickets in ODI cricket history.
- In November 2023, he bowled the most expensive spell for Pakistan in ODI World Cup history. He registered the figures of 10-0-90-0 which meant he gave 90 runs in 10 overs.
Featured Image by Shaheen Afridi / Instagram