|Skepta Quick Info|
|Date of Birth||September 19, 1982|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
Skepta is considered as the visionary in the British grime scene. He has often been credited as one of the key figures in the grime movement that has made this gritty and raw music genre mainstream and popular in the United Kingdom and all over the world. Over the course of his career, he has shown that he isn’t afraid of taking risks in search of creating music that is close to his heart and creative aspirations and his studio album, Konnichiwa, is a perfect example of that. It was also widely lauded by the industry critics for taking grime music to another level.
Joseph Junior Adenuga
North London, England, United Kingdom
Joseph Adenuga went to the Winchmore School in London.
Rapper, Singer, Songwriter, Record Producer
- Siblings – Jamie Adenuga (aka JME) (Younger Brother) (Grime MC, Record Producer, DJ), Julie Adenuga (Younger Sister) (Radio Presenter). Overall, he has 3 younger siblings.
Joseph Adenuga is represented by –
- Rebecca Prochnik of Earth Agency
- Jonathan Briks of United Talent Agency
Grime, British Hip Hop
Boy Better Know, All Around the World (AATW), Island Records
6 ft or 183 cm
75 kg or 165 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Joseph Adenuga has dated –
- Chloe Ferry (2016) – In the summer of 2016, Skepta was linked with British TV personality Chloe Ferry. They had been spotted making out while they were holidaying in Ibiza.
- Naomi Campbell (2016-2018) – Skepta was first linked with British model Naomi Campbell towards the end of 2016. Initially, they were introduced at the British Fashion Awards. They caused a stir at V05 NME Awards as they were spotted together looking cozy at the event. A few weeks later, it was claimed by the British press that they were seen making out at a couple of parties at the Paris Fashion Week. In October 2017, he sent rumor mills into overdrive by tweeting a picture of them together, which was captioned simply with 2 heart emojis. They sort of confirmed their relationship in March 2018, by posing for a steamy photo shoot for the cover of the GQ magazine. She was also in attendance at the ceremony in which he was made the chieftain of his father’s Nigerian hometown. But, it was reported in July 2018, that she had decided to end their relationship as she was angry with him for tweeting a picture of an ultrasound scan which led to the speculation that Campbell was pregnant with his child. She also unfollowed him on Instagram and deleted all his pictures from her feed.
- In July 2018, he revealed that he was going to become a father for the first time. However, in his Instagram feed, he refrained from divulging the identity of his child’s mother.
Race / Ethnicity
He has Nigerian ancestry.
- Often wears a cap or a hat
Joseph Adenuga has done endorsement work for –
- Nye Inks
- Nasir Mazhar
- Brighton Jetty Bakery
In 2015, he was appointed as the brand ambassador by the Japanese clothing brand, Uniqlo. As a part of the endorsement deal, Skepta even performed in their store in London.
Best Known For
- The immense success of his studio album, Doin’ It Again, which managed to peak at the 2nd spot on UK R&B Chart and which also reached as high as the 19th spot on the UK Album Chart
- The critical acclaim garnered by his album Konnichiwa as the album was hailed as the resurgence of grime music and was acclaimed for its cultural identity
In 2007, he released his debut studio album, Greatest Hits.
First TV Show
In 2005, Joseph Adenuga made his first TV show appearance on music drama TV series, Dubplate Drama.
- When he started his career, he was a DJ with the grime group known as Meridian Crew. He started emceeing shortly before the group decided to disband.
- Early in his rapping career, Skepta became a member of the English grime group, Roll Deep. He was joined by his brother, Jme, and Joseph Bamber in the group but they didn’t stay long with the group.
- In 2006, he collaborated with Jme and Bamber to establish English grime collective, Boy Better Know. Over the years, the collective has also led to the formation of Boy Better Know records.
- In June 2017, he launched his exclusive range of clothing line under the label of Mains which focused mainly on the collection of tracksuits.
- He follows a vegetarian diet and also wants to become a vegan, but, he can’t live without cheese.
- In 2011, he courted controversy by using p*rnographic content in the music video of his single, All Over the House. The video was subsequently banned by YouTube.
- In 2014, he won the award for Best Video at the MOBO Awards for the video of his single, That’s Not Me. After winning the award, he revealed that the video had cost £80.
- In 2015, he was recognized by GQ as one of the 50 best dressed British men in the year.
- In April 2018, he was made the chief in the Nigerian hometown of his father in Ogun State. He was given the title of Amuludun of Odo-Aje.
- In April 2017, he started his Banned from America tour. The name of the tour was inspired by the forced cancellation of his 2016 No Fear American tour as the US authorities had rejected his visa application.
- Visit his official website @ helloskepta.com.
- Follow him on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, and Myspace.
Featured Image by Skepta / Instagram