|Slick Rick Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 7 in|
|Date of Birth||January 14, 1965|
Slick Rick is considered by many as one of the original hip-hop stars. His music is still widely popular and has been sampled by the leading music artists such as Eminem, Snoop Dogg, The Beastie Boys, and Mariah Carey. In fact, he has become the most-sampled hip-hop artist in the history of the music genre. Rick’s skills as a lyricist and MC have also been considered amongst the finest in the hip-hop genre.
Richard Martin Lloyd Walters
Slick Rick, Ricky D, The Ruler, Ricky Walters
Mitcham, London, England, United Kingdom
New York City, New York, United States
Slick Rick went to Fiorello H. Laguardia High School of Music & Art and graduated with a major in visual arts.
Rapper, Record Producer
- Father – Unknown
- Mother – Veronica Walters
- Siblings – Unknown
- Others – Mark Plummer (Cousin)
Slick Rick is represented by Media Artists Group (Talent Agency).
Def Jam Recordings, Columbia Records, CBS, PolyGram, Universal Music Group
5 ft 7 in or 170 cm
75 kg or 165 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Slick Rick has dated –
- Mandy Aragones – In 1997, Slick Rick got married to Mandy Aragones at the age of 31. However, they had first started dating while they were studying in high school. As per some reports, they had re-met 4 years before their eventual marriage at a nightclub.
Note – Slick Rick also has 2 children – Lateisha Walters and Ricky Martin Lloyd Santiago – from a relationship before he decided to get married to Mandy Aragones.
Race / Ethnicity
He has British and Jamaican ancestry.
- Gold teeth
- Wears an eye patch over his right eye
Slick Rick hasn’t done endorsement work for any commercial brand yet.
Best Known For
- Being the most sampled hip-hop artist. His works have been sampled by some of the most popular artists such as Eminem, Nas, Snoop Dogg, Beyoncé, Mariah Carey, The Beastie Boys, Kanye West, and The Notorious B.I.G.
- The immense commercial success of his studio album, The Art of Storytelling, which was handed a gold certification by RIAA and also zoomed to the top of R&B /Hip-Hop charts
In November 1988, he released his debut studio album, The Great Adventures of Slick Rick, which remains the most successful album of his career. The album was given a platinum certification by RIAA.
In 1988, he made his theatrical film debut in the crime drama movie, Tougher Than Leather.
First TV Show
In 1989, Slick Rick made his first TV show appearance in the comedy talk show, The Arsenio Hall Show.
Slick Rick Facts
- He lost sight in the right eye as a child in an accident which resulted in broken glass injuring his eye.
- In 1976, he moved to the United States along with his family. They settled down in the Baychester area of The Bronx.
- While he was studying in high school, he met a fellow rapper, Dana Dane. They became close friends and soon started their own rap crew, The Kangol Crew, and often used to perform at local clubs, parks, and school contests.
- In 1984, Rick met rapper and record producer, Doug E. Fresh, at a talent showcase. Doug was very impressed with Rick’s talent and recruited him as a new member of his The Get Fresh Crew.
- At the start of his career, he earned fame for providing vocals for songs such as The Show and La Di Da Di, which were produced by Doug. Both of these songs have featured highly on popular music charts.
- Earlier in his career, he used to perform under the stage name MC Ricky D. He would later adopt Rick The Ruler as his stage name before settling down on Slick Rick.
- In 1986, Slick Rick was signed up by Russell Simmons’ Rush Artist Management. He also became the 3rd music artist to be signed by Def Jam Records.
- In 1989, he decided to sign his first cousin, Mark Plummer, as his bodyguard on his mother’s advice. However, Plummer soon became a liability and he even tried to extort money from Rick.
- He eventually decided to fire Plummer but Plummer wasn’t satisfied with the severance package. He has even tried to rob Rick on numerous occasions and also tried to murder him and his mother.
- After spotting Plummer in the neighborhood, Rick fired at least 4 shots at him out of which one hit Plummer and one hit a passerby in the foot. However, they didn’t suffer life-threatening injuries.
- Although he called his action an act of mere self-defense, he did plead guilty to an attempted murder charge and other charges including criminal possession of a weapon, use of a firearm, and assault.
- He had to spend 5 years in prison out of which 2 years were on second-degree attempted-murder charges. The other 3 years were for his violation of the Immigration and Naturalization Services. His prison sentence ended in 1997.
- In June 2001, he was arrested by the Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) for having re-entered the U.S. through Florida. He had performed on a Caribbean cruise ship which had entered the U.S.
- He was refused bail again and again and had to spend 17 months in the prison before he was released in November 2003.
- In October 2006, the Department of Homeland Security launched another attempt to get Rick deported from the United States. They even tried to get his case shifted to a more conservative court.
- His problems with the law were eventually put to rest by New York Governor David Paterson in May 2008 as he granted him an unconditional and full pardon on the attempted murder charges. Paterson was pleased with Rick’s behavior through the years after the incident.
- In April 2016, he was awarded the U.S. citizenship. He also decided to retain his UK citizenship.
- The Source has placed Rick on the 15th spot in their list featuring the Top 50 Lyricists of All Time.
- Visit his official website @ slickrickisart.com.
- Follow Slick Rick on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Myspace, and YouTube.
Featured Image by Brett Hammond / Flickr / CC BY 2.0