|Stan Wawrinka Quick Info|
|Date of Birth||March 28, 1985|
|Eye Color||Light Brown|
Stan Wawrinka is a Swiss professional tennis player who reached the Association of Tennis Professionals (ATP) singles ranking of world No. 3 for the first time in January 2014 and is best known for winning tournaments like Australian Open, French Open, US Open, and ATP Tour Masters 1000. He has also participated in a variety of other tournaments such as ABN AMRO World Tennis Tournament, Aegon Championship, Chennai Open, Monte-Carlo Masters, St Petersburg Open, Dubai Duty Free Tennis Championship, and many more.
Stan, Stan the Man, Stanimal
Wawrinka went to Rudolf Steiner School in Crissier, Switzerland. He dropped out of school at the age of 15 in order to fully dedicate himself to becoming a professional tennis player. Despite Stan quit his regular school, he continued his studies with the French organization called CNED which offered him schooling and distance education.
Professional Tennis Player
Right-handed (One-Handed Backhand)
- Father – Wolfram Wawrinka (Farmer and Social Worker)
- Mother – Isabelle Wawrinka (Educator and Biodynamic Farmer who offers help to disabled people)
- Siblings – Jonathan Wawrinka (Older Brother) (Tennis Trainer), Djanaee Wawrinka (Younger Sister), Naella Wawrinka (Younger Sister)
6 ft or 183 cm
81 kg or 179 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Stan Wawrinka dated –
- Ilham Vuilloud (2009-2015) – Wawrinka married Ilham Vuilloud on December 15, 2009. Their marriage lasted for 6 years until 2015 when they divorced. Stan and Ilham are the parents of a girl named Alexia (b. February 12, 2010).
- Donna Vekić (2015-2019) – The Croatian female tennis player Donna Vekić began dating Wawrinka in 2015. They had parted ways in 2019.
Race / Ethnicity
Stan’s father is a German of Czech descent, and his last name is Polish.
- Short beard stubble
- Tattoo on his left forearm
- Wears a watch on his left arm during most of his matches.
Wawrinka has been endorsed by Visilab, Evian, BCV, TGV Lyria, D.Hedral, Swiss Education Group, Ray Just Energy, Fromm, Yonex, Subaru, Audi, and Audemars Piguet.
Best Known For
Winning the 2014 Australian Open, 2015 French Open, and 2016 US Open Grand Slam tournaments.
Stan is known as one of the best Swiss players that have ever played the game of tennis. He holds a gold medal in the doubles category from the 2008 Olympic games held in Beijing, China.
First TV Show
Other than tennis matches itself, Stan has been seen in the TV series documentary Le grand Journal de Canal+ as himself in 2015.
First Grand Slam Title
Stanislas won his first Grand Slam title during the 2014 Australian Open Tournament. He had a tough road ahead to the finals as he managed to beat Novak Djokovic in the quarterfinals, Tomas Berdych in the semifinals and Rafael Nadal in the final game of the tournament.
You can check Wawrinka’s most recent titles on ATP World Tour.
Throughout his career, Stanislas has worked with numerous coaches including –
- Dimitri Zavialoff (2002-2010)
- Peter Lundgren (2010-2012)
- Magnus Norman
- Richard Krajicek
His fitness trainer has been Pierre Paganini.
Stan Wawrinka Favorite Things
- Surface – Clay
Source – ITFTennis.com
Stan Wawrinka Facts
- Stanislas started playing tennis at the age of 8.
- He was chosen for the 2015 Swiss Sportsman of the Year award.
- He is a supporter of the Let it Beat foundation.
- Wawrinka was the winner of 2003 Junior French Open Tournament.
- Stan was part of the ATP Player Council in the period from June 2014 until 2016.
- Wawrinka carried his country’s flag at the 2012 Olympic games in London.
- In 2015, he was featured in ESPN The Magazine Body Issue.
- Stanislas supports Lausanne ice hockey team.
- He takes pleasure in listening to music and watching movies.
- Stan’s best surface is clay and his best shot is the backhand and his serve.
- In 2009, Stan shifted to his new residence in Saint-Barthelemy which is located 20 km north of his hometown Lausanne.