|Donna Vekić Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 10 in|
|Date of Birth||June 28, 1996|
Donna Vekić is a Croatian professional tennis player who had reached the quarter-final of the 2019 US Open, a performance that had propelled her into the ‘Top 20’ of the official WTA (Women’s Tennis Association) singles rankings in November 2019.
Osijek, Osijek-Baranja, Croatia
Monte Carlo, Monaco
Professional Tennis Player
- Father – Igor Vekić (Former Soccer Player)
- Mother – Brankica Vekić (née Špiranović) (Former Athlete)
- Siblings – Bruno Vekić (Younger Brother) (Soccer Player)
- Others – Lidija Vekić (Paternal Grandmother) (Physical Education Teacher), Branko (Grandfather) (Former Archer, Former Soccer Coach) (Deceased)
She is represented by Lawrence Frankopan, Manager and Booking Agent, StarWing Sports, Sports Talent Management Agency, London, England, United Kingdom.
Right-Handed (Two-Handed Backhand)
5 ft 10 in or 178 cm
64 kg or 141 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Donna has dated –
- Thanasi Kokkinakis (2015)
- Stanislas Wawrinka (2015-2019) – Donna had started dating Swiss professional tennis player Stanislas ‘Stan’ Wawrinka in 2015. They had parted ways in 2019. She was dragged into unnecessary controversy in 2015 when the mercurial and often controversial Australian player of Greek descent Nick Kyrgios had made a rather crude and highly disgraceful remark about her past fling with Thanasi Kokkinakis, another Australian player of Greek descent. He had stated, “Kokkinakis b****d your girlfriend, sorry to tell you that mate” directly to Stan in a Rogers Cup match which had made Stan extremely furious. It snowballed into a massive controversy in the tennis fraternity with many stalwarts of the game calling for a heavy penalty on Nick for his horrendous behavior.
Race / Ethnicity
She is of Croatian descent.
- Lanky frame
- Lean physique
- Shoulder-length, straight hair
- Charming smile
- Gleaming face
Donna has been sponsored by –
- F. P. Journe
Donna Vekić Facts
- Born into a family whose members have been heavily involved in Croatian sport, Donna too had started her sporting journey from a very young age. She had started by getting trained at gymnastics but had soon been forced to focus her energies on tennis after sustaining an ankle injury.
- Donna has been nicknamed ‘Last Call’ because of her lack of punctuality in general, and her tendency to reach airports just in the nick of time. She had once gone to sleep at 2 in the night when she was supposed to board a flight at 5 am. About an hour and a half later, her father had barged into her room to wake her up and she had to rush to the airport in her pajamas. If not for him, she would have surely missed that flight.
- Her paternal grandmother, Lidija Vekić, a physical education teacher has been credited for discovering and then kick-starting the career of Davor Šuker, widely admired as one of Croatia’s greatest sportspersons of all time. He had led Croatia to the ‘Bronze’ medal at the 1998 FIFA World Cup in France, the country’s debut FIFA World Cup appearance. He had won the ‘Golden Boot’ and the ‘Silver Ball’ awards at that tournament.
- A polyglot, she is fluent in Croatian, English, and Italian.
Featured Image by Donna Vekić / Instagram