|Takafumi Horie Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 8 in|
|Date of Birth||October 29, 1972|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
Takafumi Horie is a Japanese entrepreneur who is best known as the founder of Livedoor, a Japanese company that had functioned as an Internet service provider and an operator of a web portal and blog platform. In 2006, he had been arrested on charges of securities fraud after which he was forced to sever all his ties with the company. In March 2007, he had been sentenced to imprisonment of 2 years and 6 months. He had made an appeal against the punishment but the Supreme Court of Japan had upheld the sentence in April 2011. He was released on parole in March 2013 after having served 21 months out of his jail term. After this, he began promoting his own portfolio of businesses through a company called SNS.
Yame, Fukuoka Prefecture, Kyushu, Japan
Tokyo, Kantō, Honshu, Japan
Takafumi had attended the Kurume University Junior and Senior High School (KUJS) in Kurume, Fukuoka.
After his high school graduation, he had joined the department of literature at the University of Tokyo, a public research university in Bunkyō, Tokyo. He was going to major in religion but had dropped out after establishing a company called Livin’ on the Edge in 1995 which would become the precursor to Livedoor.
- Father – His father was a business executive.
- Mother – His mother was a farming landlady.
In 2018, Takafumi Horie’s net worth was $50 million according to Forbes.
5 ft 8 in or 173 cm
78 kg or 172 lbs
Race / Ethnicity
He is of Japanese descent.
- Toned physique
- Center-parted, short-cropped hair
- Clean-shaven look
Takafumi Horie Facts
- He was given the nickname ‘Horiemon’ owing to his resemblance to Doraemon, a popular Japanese cartoon character. He had given the same name to a racehorse that he used to own.
- In 2004, he had attempted to buy the Kintetsu Buffaloes, a Nippon Professional Baseball (NPB) team based in Osaka, Japan but the owners and management of the team had rejected the offer.
- In 2005, he had founded a rocket company called Interstellar Technologies and had revealed his plan for space tourism at the 56th International Astronautical Congress in Fukuoka later that year. The spacecraft that he had planned to develop was based on the design of the Russian TKS spacecraft. The project was called ‘Japan Space Dream – A Takafumi Horie Project’.
- In August 2005, he had announced that he would run in the snap 2005 general election as an independent candidate in the Hiroshima sixth district. He had initially planned to run as the official candidate of the LDP (Liberal Democratic Party) against an LDP rebel but had later chosen to fight it out as an independent with the support of the LDP leadership. He had narrowly lost the election and had returned to Tokyo to resume his business career.
- In May 2020, a social activist, journalist, accountant, and politician named Takashi Tachibana had founded the Horiemon New Party, named after him, and had used his image in the campaign ads. Takafumi, however, had disclaimed any connection to this new political outfit.
Featured Image by Takafumi Horie / Instagram