|Temba Bavuma Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 4 in|
|Date of Birth||May 17, 1990|
Temba Bavuma is a South African professional cricketer who has represented his country in all 3 formats of the sport (Tests, ODIs, and T20Is), as a middle-order batter. In March 2021, Cricket South Africa (the governing body for the sport in the country) had appointed him South Africa’s captain in the ODI and T20I formats. Around the same time, he had also been appointed South Africa’s vice-captain in the test match format. In the South African domestic circuit, he has played for Lions (2008-09–Present) and Cape Cobras (2017–18) across all 3 formats. In the MSL (Mzansi Super League), he has played for Durban Heat (2018) and Jozi Stars (2019). A rare occurrence in modern cricket, Temba has also played domestic cricket outside of his home country representing Northamptonshire County Cricket Club (2019) in England.
Langa, Cape Town, Western Cape Province, South Africa
Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa
Temba had attended the South African College Junior School, a semi-private English-medium institution in Newlands, Cape Town. He had later also studied at St. David’s Marist High School, a private English-medium Roman Catholic preparatory school for boys in Inanda, a suburb of Johannesburg.
- Father – Vuyo Bavuma
- Mother – Phumza Bavuma
- Siblings – Phila Bavuma (Sister). He also has a younger brother.
He is represented by Roc Nation Sports, Sports division of RocNation, Full Service Management and Entertainment Company, New York City, New York, United States.
Middle Order Batter
- 11 – Test Match, One Day International (ODI), T20 International (T20I), Durban Heat (MSL)
- 9 – Northamptonshire County Cricket Club (English Domestic Cricket)
5 ft 4 in or 162.5 cm
67 kg or 147.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Temba has dated –
- Phila Lobi (2018-Present) – Temba had married Phila Lobi on August 26, 2018, in a private ceremony in Franschhoek, well-known as the culinary capital of South Africa.
Race / Ethnicity
He is of South African descent.
- Toned physique
- Affable smile
- Sports a thick beard
Temba has been sponsored by –
- New Balance
- Trade Nation (Financial Services Company)
Temba Bavuma Facts
- He was born and brought up in the Langa township of Cape Town, one of the many areas in South Africa that were designated for black Africans before the apartheid era. Future South African international cricketer Thami Tsolekile had grown up on the same street as Temba.
- In January 2016, when he had scored 102 runs not out in a Test match against England, he had become the first black African cricketer to have scored a test match century for South Africa.
- In September 2016, on ODI debut, against Ireland, he had scored 113 runs. This had made him just the 2nd South African cricketer to have scored a century on ODI debut.
- In May 2017, he had won the ‘Award of Excellence’ at Cricket South Africa‘s annual awards ceremony.
- When he was appointed South Africa’s captain in the ODI and T20I formats in March 2021, he had become the first-ever black African player to have been selected as a permanent captain of a South African senior national cricket team.
Featured Image by Temba Bavuma / Instagram