Melanie Thandiwe Newton
Thandiwe Newton went to the Catholic School, which was run by nuns.
Newton also studied dance at the Tring Park School for the Performing Arts.
From 1992 to 1995, she went to Downing College (affiliated with the University of Cambridge) to graduate with a degree in social anthropology.
- Father – Nick Newton (Laboratory Technician and Artist)
- Mother – Nyasha Newton (Health Care Worker)
- Siblings – Jamie Newton (Brother) (Worked in Camera Department)
Thandiwe Newton is represented by Independent Talent Group Ltd.
5 ft 3 in or 160 cm
51 kg or 112.5 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Thandiwe Newton has dated –
- Brad Pitt (1994) – Thandiwe Newton started going out with Hollywood heartthrob Brad Pitt in 1994 after having met on the set of Interview with the Vampire. They went out for about a year before going separate ways.
- Ol Parker (1998-Present) – Thandiwe met English director and writer Ol Parker on the set of BBC drama In Your Dreams. Parker was the scriptwriter while Newton was starring in the show. Thandiwe fell for him immediately, but it took her some time to make him feel the same. After dating for a brief period, Thandiwe got married to Parker in 1998. The couple has three children, daughters Ripley (b. 2000) and Nico (b. 2004), and son Booker Jombe (b. 2014).
Race / Ethnicity
Thandiwe is of Zimbabwean descent on the mother’s side, whereas, has English ancestry on the father’s side.
Mole mark below the right eye
33-23.5-35 in or 84-60-89 cm
2 (US) or 34 (EU)
7 (US) or 37.5 (EU)
Thandiwe has appeared in print ads and TV commercials for Olay 7 – Total Effects day moisturizer.
Best Known For
- Playing the role of Linda in a biographical drama film, The Pursuit of Happyness (2006).
- Being cast in the role of Nyah Nordoff-Hall in Mission: Impossible II (2000).
Thandiwe first appeared in the 1991 dramedy film Flirting in the role of Thandiwe Adjewa.
First TV Show
In 1991, Newton guest appeared in the TV series The Word as herself in episode #2.2.
Thandiwe always had a soft spot for yoga. She practiced various forms of yoga until she found her perfect preference in Jivamukti Yoga. This yoga style is one of the modern yoga forms and is also one of the most rigorous routines around. It combines the vigorous hatha yoga moves with vinyasa emphasized physical style moves.
The first thing she has in the morning is a juice with ginger and lemon. For the afternoon, she likes to have a green juice. She loves juicing so much that whenever she feels hungry in between meals, she drink juices. Overall, she tries to eat clean and avoids anything, she feels bad for her body as she believes such food items speed up aging process.
Thandiwe Newton Favorite Things
- Movie she has starred in – Beloved (1998)
Source – Telegraph
Thandiwe Newton Facts
- In 2000, the Black Men magazine readers (by voting) had included her in the list of “10 Sexiest Women of the Year”.
- In 2002, she was placed on #48 by Stuff Magazine in the “102 Sexiest Women in the World” list.
- In 2011, Thandiwe suffered from bulimia (eating disorder) in the early days of her acting career.
- In 2014, the animal rights organization PETA declared her the sexiest vegan of the year for the UK.
- In the Zimbabwean language, her middle name, Thandiwe translates to ‘beloved.’
- She replaced her near new BMW X5 with a Toyota Prius after an activist from Greenpeace stuck a sticker on her BMW stating that her car was responsible for climate change.
- She was offered a role in the action movie, Charlie’s Angels, but had to turn down (which eventually went to Lucy Liu) as she was busy with Mission: Impossible II.
- In 2013, she led the flash mob performance done for One Billion Rising, an organization that works against sexual violence and gender inequality.