Katherine Matilda Swinton
London, England, UK
Tilda went to three schools, namely Queen’s Gate School in London, the West Heath Girls’ School and also Fettes College.
In 1983, Swinton graduated in Social and Political Sciences from New Hall which is now known as Murray Edwards College, a part of the University of Cambridge.
- Father – Maj John Swinton (Retired Major General in the British Army and was also Lord Lieutenant of Berwickshire from 1989-2000)
- Mother – Judith Balfour Killen
- Siblings – James Christopher Swinton (Brother) (Video Producer), Alexander Harold Swinton (Brother) (Stockbroker), Maj William Henry Cospatrick Swinton (Brother) (Commissioned Scots Guards)
- Others – Alexa Swinton (Distant Cousin) (Actress, Singer)
5 ft 10 in or 178 cm
57 kg or 126 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Tilda Swinton has dated the following men –
- Béla Tarr – Swinton had a fling with the Hungarian film director Béla Tarr in the past.
- John Byrne (1995-2003) – Tilda started dating British-born American artist and comic-book writer, John Byrne in 1995. The couple had twins namely, Xavier and Honor Swinton Byrne (b. October 6, 1997). The couple split in 2003 after remaining together for 8 years.
- Sandro Kopp (2004-Present) – Tilda commenced dating German-New Zealand painter / artist Sandro Kopp in 2004 and the couple is still head over heels for each other. The duo began dating when Tilda was 43 years old and Sandro was just 25.
Race / Ethnicity
She has Scottish, English and Northern Irish ancestry. Also, her mom is an Australian.
Tilda is a natural redhead (Red colored hair).
But likes to dye them “Blonde.”
- Androgynous looks
- Pale skin
- Pale white-blonde hair
34-26-35 in or 86-66-89 cm
4 (US) or 36 (EU)
Tilda Swinton has served as the brand ambassador for NARS and was the face of their Spring / Summer 2015 collection.
At 52, she endorsed Chanel.
She has also appeared in print ads for Victoria jewelry.
Best Known For
Playing Mason in Snowpiercer (2013), as Eve in Only Lovers Left Alive (2013), as Madame Celine Villeneuve Desgoffe-und-Taxis in The Grand Budapest Hotel (2014), as Eva Khatchadourian in We Need to Talk About Kevin (2011), as Jadis, the White Witch in The Chronicles of Narnia (2005, 2008, 2010) film series.
Swinton played the role of ‘Sally’ in her debut film Egomania – Insel ohne Hoffnung in 1986.
First TV Show
Swinton made her debut TV appearance in miniseries Zastrozzi: A Romance in 1986 where she played ‘Julia’.
Tilda Swinton Favorite Things
- Movies – I Know Where I’m Going (1945), School of Rock (2003), Brüno (2009)
- Books – Auntie Mame (By Patrick Dennis), The Essential (By P.G. Wodehouse)
- Comedian – Amy Schumer
- Musicians – David Bowie, Bjork
Source – Wikipedia.org, IMDb.com, CheatSheet.com, Nylon.com, Vulture.com, BookTrib.com
Tilda Swinton Facts
- Swinton is the descendant of the Saxon origin from the kingdom of Northumberland. Her parental ancestry which is Anglo-Scot can be traced back to thousands of years, to the middle ages.
- The family name was given to them for their bravery.
- When she was in the University of Cambridge, she performed at various stage productions before joining Royal Shakespeare Company.
- She is widely known for her androgynous appearance as people widely confuse her to a male because of her tall frame and lack of lipstick.
- Her performance in “Michael Clayton” in 2007 opposite George Clooney earned her an Oscar for Best Supporting Actress.
- She played the role of David Bowie’s wife in his music video for “The Stars (Are Out Tonight).”
- In West Heath Girls’ School, she was friends with Princess Diana.
- Tilda had joined the Communist Party and later the Scottish Socialist Party when she was studying at the University of Cambridge.
- Tilda is not present on social media.