|Umran Malik Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 9 in|
|Date of Birth||November 22, 1999|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
Umran Malik is an Indian cricketer who burst into the spotlight after making his Twenty20 debut in January 2021 for Jammu & Kashmir, in the twelfth edition of the Syed Mushtaq Ali Trophy. He gained further popularity in April 2021 by getting selected as one of three net bowlers for the 2021 Indian Premier League. Malik has amassed more than 490k followers on Instagram.
Srinagar, Jammu and Kashmir, India
He went to school up until the 10th standard.
- Father – Abdul Rashid (Fruit Stall Owner)
- Siblings – He has older sisters.
He has been represented by Flair Media Group.
5 ft 9 in or 175 cm
74 kg or 163 lbs
Race / Ethnicity
- Dimpled smile
- Sharp features
- Beard and mustache
Umran Malik Favorite Things
- Role Model While Growing Up – Jasprit Bumrah, having got obsessed with bowling a yorker after watching him do so
Source – SportsAdda.com
Umran Malik Facts
- Umran loved fast bowling while he was young. He used to break windows growing up while playing cricket. Still, his mother was supportive of his play and would say “Khel, tod” (Play, break).
- He has been only the 4th player from J&K to have got featured in the IPL.
- Umran has recollected that in his childhood days, he used to play tennis-ball matches that won him cash prizes of Rs 500 or Rs 1000. He never had formal training for cricket. After playing in school during the day, he would leave his bag at home and again go to play cricket in the evening. It was only after he joined the coaching camp of the District Sports Council that his mentoring started.
- He has pointed out that playing tennis-ball cricket had proved very useful as the lightweight of the tennis ball had meant that in order to generate pace, he needed to put in the extra effort.
- Umran had stunned the U-19 selectors with his speed during a practice session. Upon seeing him bowling in nets on cement wickets, they had wanted to know who the tearaway pacer was and why he was not playing matches given his ability to bowl extraordinarily fast. He soon got inducted into the J&K U-19 squad, having been 18 years old then.
- His bowling style has been compared to that of Australian cricketer Dale Steyn, whom Umran has looked up to as one of the greatest fast bowlers.
- Malik has disclosed that he never focussed much on his fitness besides his own simple workout. He had not even checked the pace of his bowling having always known intuitively that he could bowl at 145kph. After finding out that he was bowling 150+, he thanked the Almighty for having blessed him with the skill.
Featured Image by Umran Malik / Instagram