Chembur, Mumbai, India
Vidya Balan did her schooling from St. Anthony Girls’ High School, Chembur, Mumbai, and later attended St. Xavier’s College where she majored in Sociology. She went on to study MA at the University of Mumbai, where she received her first film offer.
- Father – P. R. Balan (Executive Vice-President of Digicable)
- Mother – Saraswathy Balan (Homemaker)
- Siblings – Priya Balan (Older Sister) (Works in advertising field)
- Others – Priyamani (Second Cousin) (Actress)
Bling Entertainment Solutions
5 ft 3 in or 160 cm
57 kg or 126 pounds
Boyfriend / Spouse
Vidya Balan herself told in an interview in May 2012 that she has been dating Siddharth Roy Kapur (CEO at UTV Motion Pictures). She married him on December 14, 2012, in a private ceremony in Bandra, Mumbai.
Race / Ethnicity
She has Tamilian ancestry.
36-28-37 inches after her role in “Dirty Picture”, as she had to gain 12 kilos for her role as “Silk”.
She has been seen in commercials about the surf, Clinic Plus shampoo, UNICEF Total Sanitation, etc.
Vidya has endorsed Samajwadi Pension Yojana (launched by Akhilesh Yadav led Uttar Pradesh Government), Nihar Hair Oils, Indian Film Festival, Silk Board, etc.
Best Known For
Her traditional Indian Look and her work in Hindi movies, especially “Parineeta”, “The Dirty Picture”, “Kahaani”.
Bengali Film “Bhalo Theko”, for her role as “Anandi” in 2003. She got fame through her next film, which was a Hindi film “Parineeta” in 2005 and performed role as “Lalita” and for this, she got “Filmfare Award for Best Female Debut”
Vidya Balan Favorite Things
- Favorite Film – Before Sunrise, Before Sunset
- Favorite Director – Gulzar and Hrishikesh Mukherjee
- Favorite Actors – Morgan Freeman, Amitabh Bachchan, Al Pacino
- Favorite Actress – Kate Winslet, Julie Delpy, and Julia Roberts
- Favorite Book – Brida by Paulo Coelho
- Favorite Food – Thai Cuisine and Homemade food
- Role Model – Her older sister, Priya
- Favorite Musician / Band – Zakir Hussain, Michael Jackson, Enrique, Indian Ocean, Midival Punditz
Vidya Balan Facts
- Vidya Balan’s older sister, Priya is married to Kedar.
- Vidya Balan also involves herself in AIDS Institute at Harvard by participating in the events throughout the year.
- Vidya is also associated with “AmFar” (American For AIDS Research) and Hale House, a home for children affected by HIV and Drug Addiction.
- Vidya Balan had to go for 40 Screen Tests and 17 Make-Up shoots before getting selected for a lead role in movie “Parineeta”.
- Vidya can also speak in Hindi, Malayalam, Tamil and Bengali.
- Vidya Balan also acted in a TV show “Hum Paanch” produced by Ekta Kapoor and “Hanse Khelte” produced by Ashok Pandit.
- She is well versed in English, Hindi, Malayalam, and Tamil languages and can speak little bit Bengali.
- Join Vidya on Twitter and Instagram.