|Michael Jackson Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 9 in|
|Date of Birth||August 29, 1958|
|Date of Death||June 25, 2009|
Michael Jackson was an American singer, songwriter, and dancer who has been called the “King of Pop” while being regarded as one of the most significant cultural figures of the 20th century. He released albums like Got to Be There, Off the Wall, Thriller, Music & Me, Dangerous, HIStory: Past, Present and Future, Book I, Invincible, and Forever, Michael. Jackson became the most awarded artist in the history of popular music and one of the best-selling music artists of all time, as he won accolades like 15 Grammy Awards, 6 Brit Awards, a Golden Globe Award, and 39 Guinness World Records. Moreover, he was also inducted to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame twice, the Vocal Group Hall of Fame, the Songwriters Hall of Fame, the Dance Hall of Fame (the only recording artist to be inducted), and the Rhythm and Blues Music Hall of Fame.
Michael Joseph Jackson
MJ, The Gloved One, Wacko Jacko, Jacko, King Of Pop, Applehead, Mike, Mikey, Smelly, Michael Joe Jackson
Michael Jackson was born on August 29, 1958.
Michael passed away at the age of 50 on June 25, 2009, in Los Angeles, California, United States, due to cardiac arrest triggered by propofol and benzodiazepine overdose.
Gary, Indiana, United States
Michael Jackson went to Montclair College Preparatory School.
Singer, Songwriter, Dancer, Actor, Record Producer, Businessman, Philanthropist
- Father – Joseph Walter Jackson (Former boxer, steelworker, occasional musician, and band manager)
- Mother – Katherine Jackson
- Siblings – Rebbie Jackson (Older Sister) (Singer and actress), Jackie Jackson (Older Brother) (Singer, songwriter, actor, and producer), Tito Jackson (Older Brother) (Singer, songwriter, and instrumentalist), Jermaine Jackson (Older Brother) (Singer, songwriter, actor, record producer, author, and musician), La Toya Jackson (Older Sister) (Singer, songwriter, activist, philanthropist, model, author, businesswoman, television personality, and actress), Marlon Jackson (Older Brother) (Singer, songwriter, musician, and dancer), Brandon Jackson (Older Brother), Randy Jackson (Younger Brother) (Musician, singer, songwriter, and dancer), Janet Jackson (Younger Sister) (Singer, songwriter, dancer, actress, record producer, film producer, businesswoman, philanthropist, and author)
- Others – Samuel Joseph Jackson (Paternal Grandfather), Crystal Lee King (Paternal Grandmother), Prince Albert Scruse (Maternal Grandfather), Martha Upshaw (Maternal Grandmother)
Michael Jackson was represented by Frank DiLeo.
Pop, soul, rhythm and blues, funk, rock, disco, post-disco, dance-pop, and new jack swing
Steeltown, Motown, Epic Records, Legacy Recordings, Sony Music, MJJ Productions
5 ft 9 in or 175 cm
64 kg or 141 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Michael Jackson had dated –
- Maureen McCormick (1973) – During her stint in the reality show, I’m A Celebrity…Get Me Out Of Here!, Maureen revealed that she was dating Michael Jackson in 1973. They used to hold hands but he never got to kiss her on the lips and used to do with only a peck on the cheek. They never broke up officially, she just started dating some other guy.
- Latonya Simmons (1972) – It would be difficult to class Michael and Latonya Simmons’s equation as a relationship. After all, she had won a reality TV competition, The Dating Game, to become then 14 years old’s date. Simmons was 10 years old then and had to fend off competition from two other girls.
- Tatum O’Neal – One of his first serious relationships was with actress Tatum O’Neal. They had become good friends while she was 12 and he was 17. Their relationship was never present in tabloids in the 70s. In a 1982 interview, he confirmed the fact that they had a serious relationship. He revealed that their busy schedules proved to be undoing of their relationship. In his 2003 documentary, Michael alleged that she had tried to seduce him at the beginning of their relationship. However, in her biography, she alleged that Michael had tried to make out with her when she was 12.
- Stephanie Anne Mills – Jackson started dating Canadian actress Stephanie Anne Mills in the last 70s. They had first met on the sets of the movie, The Wiz. Shortly after, they officially started dating. They were together till the early 80s. She wanted to get married but he wasn’t prepared for any such thing.
- Diana Ross – Starting from the late 70s, Michael had a very close relationship with actress and singer Diana Ross. They had first met on the sets of the musical movie, The Whiz in 1977. Although their close relationship was stated to be merely a deep relationship, some sources have asserted that they had romantic involvement at some point in time. They themselves had hinted at it in their interviews.
- Cher (1978) – RUMOR
- Brooke Shields – Michael first met actress and model Brooke Shields at the Academy Awards in 1981. In his 2001 interview, Jackson called her one of the loves of his life and they dated quite a lot. In his autobiographical book that was released in 1988, he revealed that they were in a serious relationship for only a short while. He also used to suggest that they should get married and raise adoptive children together. In March 2023, during an interview, Brooke claimed that he lied about being in a relationship with her and confirmed that they never dated.
- Tatiana Thumbtzen – Tatiana Thumbtzen was cast in the video of Jackson’s song, The Way You Make Me Feel. She also joined him for a stage performance at the 1988 Grammy Awards. Plus, she performed with him at the Kansas City and New York City concerts during the second leg of his Bad Tour. He went on to kiss her on stage at the latter. However, he cut her off just after the end of the tour. Later, she would go on to claim that Michael had confessed to her mother that he liked her. She also claimed that everyone in his camp knew about his feeling about her. She felt that tour managers might have considered her a threat, which led to her dismissal.
- Shana Mangatal – in 2016, Shana Mangatal released her book, Michael and Me: The Untold Story of Michael Jackson’s Secret Romance, in which she opened up about their secret on-and-off relationship. Michael started secretly dating her in 1990 when she was working as a receptionist for Gallin-Morey Associates in Los Angeles. Michael stopped meeting her after he got married to Lisa Marie Presley. He hooked up with her for a brief period of time after the end of his marriage.
- Whitney Houston (1991) – Jackson reportedly had a short-lived affair with singer Whitney Houston in the early 90s according to his former bodyguard, Matt Fiddes.
- Lisa Marie Presley (1992-2000) – Lisa was first introduced to Michael Jackson by her father Elvis Presley at MGM Grand in Nevada in 1974. At that time, Lisa was just 6 years old, whereas Michael was 14. Years later, they met at a dinner party hosted by a mutual friend and artist, Brett-Livingstone Strong. Their friendship began in December 1992. Lisa was married at that time. Eventually, they became close friends and she gave him emotional support after he was accused of child sexual abuse in 1993. As he got addicted to painkillers, she asked him to get in rehab and settle the case out of the court. In 1993, he proposed to her and they got married in the Dominican Republic in May 1994. Lisa got an official divorce from Danny Keough just 20 days before the wedding. They made their first public appearance at the MTV Video Music Awards in 1994. Within a year of their marriage, they were having heated arguments with Lisa reported being annoyed by her husband’s childish antics. They separated in December 1995 after they had an argument in New York City hospital, where he was taken after collapsing during a concert rehearsal. A couple of months later, she filed for divorce citing irreconcilable differences. Despite their divorce, she was spotted with Michael at various venues of his History World Tour in 1997. The same year, they were spotted holding hands in London. In February 1998, they were pictured outside Beverly Hills hotel on her birthday. She later revealed that they had an on and off relationship for 4 years after their divorce.
- Debbie Rowe – Michael first met Debbie Rowe in the mid-1980s. She was working as an assistant for dermatologist Dr. Arnold Klein, who was treating Jackson’s vitiligo. Eventually, they became close friends and after Lisa refused to have children with him, she offered to bear his children. Michael’s wife Lisa didn’t know anything about Rowe as Michael has kept her a secret. It was only after an argument regarding having children, Michael told Lisa about her, saying that he has a friend who can have his children, so she needn’t bother. Shortly after his divorce from Lisa, Debbie got pregnant but in March 1996, she suffered a miscarriage. In October 1996, the leading tabloids reported that Debbie was again pregnant. She was artificially impregnated with his sperm cells. On being urged by his mother, Jackson got married to Rowe in November 1996 in a small ceremony in Sydney. In February 1997, she gave birth to a son, Michael Joseph Jackson, Jr. In November 1997, she was pregnant with his second child, a girl who was named Paris, in honor of the city, she was conceived in by her parents. She was born in April 1998. Meanwhile, Rowe had got uncomfortable with her arrangement with Michael and asked for a divorce. As part of the divorce settlement, Michael received full custody rights and she got $10 million in the settlement. She was given an immediate payment of $1.5 million.
- Grace Rwaramba (2002-2009) – He was in a relationship with Grace Rwaramba from 2002 to June 2009.
Note – In February 2002, Jackson’s second son, Prince Michael II was born. Jackson revealed that artificial insemination using his sperm cells was used and he didn’t know his newborn son’s mother nor she knew about him.
Race / Ethnicity
His father and mother were claimed to be of Native American ancestry.
- Long black hair
- Soft voice
- Used to pair black shoes with white socks
- Crotch grab
- His sequined white glove
Michael Jackson has appeared in a series of TV commercials for the soft drink beverage, Pepsi.
He also starred in a Japanese TV advert for automobile giant, Suzuki.
Plus, he was featured in the TV spot for LA Gear athletic wear.
Best Known For
- Being one of the most successful and popular pop stars
- Being a global icon and a mainstay in pop culture for nearly four decades
- Having introduced and popularized the iconic dance move, Moonwalk
- His immense social charity and humanitarian work
In January 1972, Michael released his debut studio album, Got to Be There which reached #14 on Billboard 200.
As an actor, Michael made his first film appearance in the adventure movie, The Wiz in 1978 for his role as a Scarecrow.
First TV Show
In a 1969 episode, Michael made a guest appearance on the musical comedy show The Ed Sullivan Show.
Before he passed away, Michael had hired personal trainer Lou Ferrigno to get him in shape for his This is It world tour. Ferrigno used to visit his home three to four times a week. Michael wasn’t a fan of weight-lifting exercises and focused only on improving his conditioning and flexibility.
In these workout routines, they did a lot of core training. The exercise balls were used to add more value to the core training routine. Ferrigno also got him to do stretching and running on the treadmill.
According to Ferrigno, Michael was mostly on a vegetarian diet. He was having only one meal a day. Ferrigno had also advised him to take proper supplements to keep his health up.
Michael Jackson Favorite Things
- Food – Mexican Food
- Superhero – Morph from X-Men
- Soccer Team – Exeter City
- Childhood Books – The Old Man and the Sea (By Ernest Hemingway), Rip Van Winkle (By Washington Irving)
- Pastimes – Climbing trees and water balloon fights
- Childhood Movie – Oliver! (1968)
- Movie – The Elephant Man (1980)
- Beatles’ Song – Come Together
Michael Jackson Facts
- Jackson holds the distinction of being the first solo artist of having 4 singles from one album in the top 10 of the Billboard Charts. He achieved this distinction with the success of his album, Off the Wall.
- After the success of his music album, Thriller, he became the first music artist to have 7 soundtracks from his single album in the top 10 of the Billboard charts.
- In September, two of his former financial managers filed a lawsuit against him, alleging that Michael owed them $25 million in unpaid fees and expenses.
- In 2001, he was honored with induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame as a solo artist. As a member of the Jackson 5 band, he was inducted in 1997.
- In May 1984, then-US President Ronald Reagan honored Jackson with a Presidential Humanitarian Award. Jackson had headlined the government’s campaign against drunk driving and his single, Beat It, was used in adverts for the campaign.
- The producers of the superhero movie, Batman (1989) wanted Jackson to write and compose soundtracks for the movie. However, he had turned it down due to his work commitments.
- With the immense success of his studio album, Thriller, Jackson has attained a unique and special distinction of being the first artist to have his album sell more than 65 million copies.
- June 25 is celebrated as World Vitiligo Day. The day marks the anniversary of Jackson’s death and aims at raising awareness of the auto-immune disorder that Jackson suffered from.
- In March 2006, the California State Authorities fined Michael with more than $100,000 and ordered him to close his Neverland Ranch after he had failed to pay ranch’s staff and insurance.
- In July 1985, his image was pasted over the stamps released by the Virgin Islands after he had won a poll featuring other superstars. Michael asked them to donate all the revenue generated from stamp sales to education and welfare.
- In November 2004, Jackson was honored with induction into the UK Music Hall of Fame in recognition of his achievements as an artist and his contribution to British music and culture.
- He was a big supporter of research for AIDS. In 1990, he had lost a close friend, Ryan White to the disease.
- The United Negro College Fund honored him by awarding him an Honorary Doctor of Humane Letters Degree. He was awarded a similar degree by the Fisk University also.
- In 1993, he was accused of having sexually abused 13-year-old Jordan Chandler. However, Jordan’s mother had asserted that Jackson wasn’t guilty of any wrongdoing. Jordan Chandler managed to give police an accurate description of his private parts in his testimony. Jackson claimed he was innocent but did reach an out-of-court settlement of $22 million with Chandler’s family.
- In November 2003, he was arrested by Los Angeles police on charges of child molestation and having given intoxicating material to a 13-year-old boy. The boy was featured in the documentary, Living with Michael Jackson.
- The trial proceeding was started in January 2005 in Santa Barbara. In June 2005, he has acquitted of all the charges. He soon moved to Bahrain to live as the guest of the country’s monarch as he sought to stay away from the spotlight.
- In 1992, he started the Heal the World Foundation, which worked on a number of issues ranging from helping disadvantaged children to providing relief in natural disaster-hit areas.
- He made a cameo appearance as Agent M in the 2002 science fiction action comedy film, Men in Black II, starring Tommy Lee Jones, Will Smith, Lara Flynn Boyle, Rosario Dawson, and others.
- In November 2006, he was given the Diamond Award at the World Music Awards for having sold more than 100 million albums.
- In March 2009, he announced that he will perform at a series of comeback concerts as part of the This is It world tour. However, he died just 3 weeks before he was set to hold the first concert in London.
- In October 2009, Sony released the This is It documentary, which comprised of footage taken from his rehearsal sessions. The documentary went on to earn more than $260 million worldwide.
- In 1988-89, he managed to earn $125 million from his Bad World tour. His earnings also made him the highest-earning music star for that period.
- In December 2020, Jackson’s 2,700-acre Neverland Ranch was sold to his former business advisor billionaire Ron Burkle for $22 million. However, the asking price was $100 million. Jackson had purchased this ranch for $19.5 million in 1987.
- In 2023, it came to be known via the podcast Think Twice: Michael Jackson that he faked his popularity. He even negotiated with the producer so that he could win an award.