|Vijender Singh Quick Info|
|Date of Birth||October 29, 1985|
Vijender Singh is an Indian professional boxer, politician, actor, television personality, and model. He won a bronze medal at the 2008 Beijing Olympics as an amateur and became the first Indian boxer to win an Olympic medal. Vijender has also secured bronze medals at the 2009 World Championships and the 2010 Commonwealth Games as well as silver medals at the 2006 and 2014 Commonwealth Games, all in the middleweight division. He turned professional in June 2015 and signed a multi-year agreement with Frank Warren’s Queensberry Promotions through IOS Sports and Entertainment. Vijender Singh was awarded the Padma Shri in January 2010 for his outstanding contribution to Indian sports.
Vijender Singh Beniwal
Vijender Singh, Singh
Kaluwas, Haryana, India
Vijender Singh did his primary schooling in Kaluwas and secondary schooling in Bhiwani. Later, he receiving a bachelor’s degree from Vaish College in Bhiwani
Professional Boxer, Politician, Actor, Television Personality, Model
- Father – Mahipal Singh Beniwal (Bus Driver with the Haryana Roadways)
- Mother – Krishna Devi (Homemaker)
- Siblings – Manoj (Older Brother) (Former Boxer)
76 in (193 cm)
6 ft or 183 cm
75 kg or 165.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Vijender Singh has dated –
- Archana Singh (2011-Present) – He got married to software engineer Archana Singh in the year 2011 and they have been blessed with 2 sons, namely, Abir Singh and Amrik Singh.
Race / Ethnicity
Vijender Singh has Jat ancestry.
He has been cast in commercials for brands like Mountain Dew, Patanjali, etc.
Vijender Singh Facts
- He was inspired by his older brother Manoj to enter the sport of boxing. Manoj supported Vijender financially so he could continue his boxing training.
- In order to support his family financially, Vijender worked part-time, dedicated his time to boxing, and also worked as a model.
- Vijender Singh spoke to The Wall Street Journal before the 2012 London Olympics about the increasing government bias to boost cricket and clarified, “I still fail to understand why only cricketers are given perks like free land, and so on. Come on, we boxers aren’t that bad either: We’re smart, intelligent and decent looking too! I’m working really hard to make my country proud. I hope someday my turn comes, too”.
- In 2014, he made his Bollywood debut by playing the role of Gaurav, the son of the CM of Haryana, in the comedy-drama social thriller film titled Fugly. He co-starred in the film alongside Mohit Marwah, Kiara Advani, Jimmy Sheirgill, and Arfi Lamba.
- Singh fought his first professional boxing match on October 10, 2015, and defeated his opponent Sonny Whiting by TKO.
- He has also served as one of the judges on MTV India’s reality TV show Roadies X2.
- Some of Vijender Singh’s influences include boxers Mike Tyson and Muhammad Ali, boxing promoter Don King, and the character Rocky Balboa from the Rocky film series.
- On the eve of the 2019 Indian general election, he joined the Indian National Congress and contested from the South Delhi constituency. He ended up losing the election.
- Vijender Singh has supported the farmers in their protests against three farm acts that were passed by the Parliament of India in September 2020.
Featured Image by Bollywood Hungama / bollywoodhungama.com / CC BY 3.0