|Will Champion Quick Info
|5 ft 11 in
|Date of Birth
|July 31, 1978
Will Champion is an English musician, multi-instrumentalist, and songwriter who is best known for being the drummer of the popular rock band Coldplay formed in 1996. Will was approached by the rest 3 members of the band to join them when he was in the University College London and has been the member ever since.
Southampton, Hampshire, England, United Kingdom
Will attended the Portswood Primary School for primary schooling and Cantell Maths and Computing College for secondary schooling. He later enrolled at the Peter Symonds College and went on to study at the University College London after that.
- Father – Timothy Champion (Professor of Archaeology)
- Mother – Sara Champion (Doctor of Prehistoric Archaeology)
- Siblings – He has an older brother.
- Others – William Roy Champion (Paternal Grandfather), Freda Gertrude Martell (Paternal Grandmother), Richard Hermon (Maternal Grandfather), Sylvia Farnworth Harper (Maternal Grandmother)
Will is represented by Dave Holmes.
Alternative Rock, Post-Britpop, Pop Rock, Pop
Drums, Percussion, Vocals, Guitar, Bass, Piano, Keyboards, Harmonica, Violin
- Parlophone Records
- Capitol Records
- Atlantic Records
5 ft 11 in or 180.5 cm
80 kg or 176.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Will has dated –
- Marianne Dark (2003-Present) – Will tied the knot with a teacher named Marianne Dark in 2003 and became the first member of Coldplay to get married. The couple is proud parents to the oldest daughter named Ava (b. April 28, 2006) and twins Juno (girl) and Rex (boy) (b. May 7, 2008).
Race / Ethnicity
Will has English and 1/4th Scottish ancestry.
Best Known For
Being the drummer of the popular rock band Coldplay formed in 1996
Will along with the band, released his debut album Parachutes on July 10, 2000, in the UK via Parlophone. The album went ‘8x Platinum’ in Britain and ‘2x Platinum’ in America. It had total sales of 8,500,000 copies in the world. The album peaked at the number 1 position in the UK, and at the number 2 spot in Australia and Ireland.
First TV Show
Will made his first TV show appearance on Top of the Pops as himself in 2000.
Will Champion Favorite Things
- Idols – Tom Waits, Nick Cave, Traditional Irish folk music
- Football Team – Southampton Football Club
Source – Wikipedia
Will Champion Facts
- He learned to play the piano and violin when he was 8 years old and learned guitar at the age of 12.
- He is also skilled to play the bass and tin whistle.
- Before becoming a member of Coldplay, he was the part of a band called Fat Hamster.
- He began playing drums in the sophomore year at the University College London.
- Will was the last member to join Coldplay in July 1997 and he joined as a drummer irrespective of his experience.
- He was asked to join the band when the other 3 members recorded 3 songs and were in a desperate search of a drummer. Will’s roommate had a drum kit but he was not at the house, so, Will gave it a try and they recorded a track.
- He stated in an interview that when he was asked to be a part of the band, he was very excited and desperately wanted to be in a band.
- He was sacked by the frontman Chris Martin in 1999 but was asked to rejoin them 3 days later after the rest 3 members were miserable without him.
- Will does not have any individual social media handle.
Featured Image by Alberto Ferrero / Flickr / CC BY-2.0