Aespa is a South Korean girl group formed by SM Entertainment and its members are Karina, Giselle, Winter, and Ningning. They have released songs like Black Mamba and Forever.
- Karina – Leader, Vocalist, Rapper, Dancer
- Giselle – Vocalist, Rapper
- Winter – Vocalist, Dancer
- Ningning – Vocalist
Seoul, South Korea
The girl group released its debut single, Black Mamba, on November 17, 2020, via SM Entertainment and it was described as a pop, electropop, and dance-pop track with a signature synth and EDM sound and bass that is paired with an addictive hook. Its music video was released on YouTube and achieved the highest number of views for a K-pop group’s debut video, with 21.4 million views in 24 hours.
It was ranked at number #5 on the US World Digital Song Sales (Billboard) chart, at number #21 in South Korea (K-pop Hot 100) chart, at number #37 in New Zealand Hot Singles (RMNZ) chart, and at number #49 in South Korea (Gaon) chart.
- The group’s name has commonly been stylized in all lowercase or “æspa”.
- It debuted on November 17, 2020, with the release of its debut single Black Mamba.
- Paper magazine included Black Mamba in its “The 40 Best K-Pop Songs of 2020” list at number #40, stating that Black Mamba is “a safe fusion of pop and EDM with a bass-heavy hook and a sweeping bridge”. The song was also included in BuzzFeed‘s “35 Songs That Helped Define K-Pop In 2020” list, Dazed‘s “The 40 best K-pop songs of 2020” list, and Nación Rex‘s “20 K-pop Songs That Dominated 2020 With Their Style” list.
- On February 5, 2021, the band digitally released another single titled Forever and YaEun Kim described it as a “fresh, love-themed track” that shows a “completely different side of the virtual hybrid K-pop group”.
- In April 2022, aespa debuted their new song titled Life’s Too Short at Coachella 2022.
- In July 2022, the group released a mini album titled Girls.
Featured Image by Aespa / Instagram