STAYC is a six-piece girl-group from South Korea comprising of members Si-eun, Sumin, Isa, Yoon, J, and Seeun. The group’s refreshing new sound was met with great praise upon their debut on November 12, 2020. Since then, they have amassed legions of fans from all over the world through their songs like Stereotype, Young Luv, Love Fool, Run2U, So Bad, Beautiful Monster, ASAP, etc.
Seoul, South Korea
- High Up Entertainment
- EMI Records / Universal Music Group
- In November 2020, the group debuted with their single album Star to a Young Culture and sold close to 50,000 records in South Korea.
- With their second single album Staydom (2021), the group released popular tracks like ASAP, Love Fool, So What, and So Bad.
- Their debut EP Stereotype (2021) reached the 2nd spot on the Gaon Album Chart.
- Young-Luv.com, the group’s 2nd EP, was certified platinum by the KMCA upon its release in 2022.
- The group released their third single album titled We Need Love in July 2022. Featuring the hit single Beautiful Monster, the album peaked at #2 on the South Korean Albums Chart.
- Their fandom is known as SWITH, which is a combination of the words ‘STAYC’ and ‘WITH’. Its meaning can be translated to ‘Together with STAYC’ or ‘I’ll be by STAYC’s side’. Moreover, the Korean pronunciation of the word ‘Swith’ sounds similar to ‘sweet’ thus, referring to the group’s loyal fans as ‘sweet and lovely’.
- The band’s name STAYC is an acronym and stands for ‘Star to a Young Culture’. It represents the group’s aim to dominate the hearts of a younger generation of pop culture fans.
- In November 2021, they had the distinction of being chosen as Spotify’s ‘Equal Global Artist of the Month’. Furthermore, they became the first K-pop band to feature in their EQUAL Korea and EQUAL Global Playlist campaigns.
- The members of STAYC are inspired by the band, Girls’ Generation.
- Other possible names considered for the band were Oriental Girls, Molar, and Favorites.
- Sumin is the oldest member while J is the youngest member of STAYC.
- The band members look up to international artists like Bebe Rexha, Doja Cat, and Little Mix.
Featured Image by Zoodle / Wikimedia / CC BY 3.0