- Jessica – Vocals, Piano (Left the group in 2014)
- Tiffany – Vocals, Flute (Left the group in 2017)
- Sooyoung – Vocals, Piano (Left the group in 2017)
- Seohyun – Vocals, Piano, Violin, Korean Drums (Left the group in 2017)
Seoul, South Korea
K-pop, Bubblegum Pop, Electropop, R&B, EDM
- SM Entertainment
- Interscope Records
- EMI Records Japan
First Headlining Tour
Girls’ Generation The 1st Asia Tour ‘Into The New World (2009–2010)’
The Girls’ Generation group released their first studio album Girls’ Generation in November 2007. Their other albums such as I Got a Boy, Lion Heart, and Holiday Night peaked at number 1 on the US Billboard charts.
The group has produced several successful songs such as Gee, Mr. Taxi, Run Devil Run, Paparazzi, Catch Me If You Can, and many more.
Girls’ Generation Facts
- The group was founded by Korea’s largest entertainment company, SM Entertainment.
- The group has the Korean language names such as SoShi and So-nyuh Shi-dae and is abbreviated as SNSD.
- In an interview, the members revealed that they were shocked to hear the name of the group for the first time as at that time not many groups were named in Korean language and they had expected a “cool English name”.
- Girls’ Generation made their official debut in 2007.
- The group rose to fame with its single Gee that peaked at the number 1 spot on KBS’s Music Bank for 9 consecutive weeks and was named the most popular song of the 2000s by the South Korean online music store Melon.
- The group also flew high in the endorsement scene with $1.2 million revenue for the year 2009 because of the popularity of Gee.
- As of 2018, the group has made an appearance in more than 40 endorsement deals.
- In April 2012, the group introduced its first subgroup TTS short for TaeTiSeo that included members Taeyeon, Tiffany, and Seohyun. In an interview, they revealed that they hated the name.
- The group’s 2nd subunit was formed in August 2018 and included members Sunny, Taeyeon, Yoon, Yuri, and Hyoyeon.
- The group initially began with 9 members but Jessica left in 2014 due to conflicts between her and the group’s schedules. SM Entertainment officially announced their departure in 2015 and the group went on as an 8-member group.
- In October 2017, the group members Tiffany, Sooyoung, and Seohyun chose not to renew their contracts with the SM Entertainment in order to focus on their solo careers.
- Visit the band’s official website @ girlsgeneration.smtown.com.
- Connect with the band members on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and YouTube.
Featured Image by LG / Flickr / CC BY-2.0