|Akbar Gbaja-Biamila Quick Info|
|Height||6 ft 6 in|
|Date of Birth||May 6, 1979|
Akbar Gbaja-Biamila is a former American football player who played as a Linebacker from 2003 to 2008 for various teams like Oakland Raiders, San Diego Chargers, and Miami Dolphins. He has served as the co-host for the show American Ninja Warrior, an American sports entertainment competition. Akbar also works as an analyst for the NFL Network. He started playing professionally with Oakland Raiders in 2003. He suffered various injuries in 2005 during the camp. After his injuries, he joined the NFL in 2006 with San Diego Chargers. He further signed a $7.4 million contract Miami Dolphins in 2007. He became the host of the show American Ninja Warrior in 2015. Akbar is also the co-host of Team Ninja Warrior alongside Iseman. Akbar is known for his inspirational and humorous statement which is referred to as “Akbarism”. He has lots of fans all over the world and has a fan base of more than 150k followers on Instagram and more than 70k followers on Twitter.
Akbar Oluwakemi-Idowu Gbajabiamila
Los Angeles, California, United States
Marina Del Rey, Los Angeles, California, United States
Akbar has attended the Crenshaw High School in South Los Angeles and later on completed his higher education from San Diego State University where he went through a football scholarship.
Sports Commentator, TV Personality, Author, Professional Football Player
- Father – Mustapha
- Mother – Bolatito
- Siblings – Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila (Twin Older Brother) (Footballer). He also has 5 siblings.
- Others – Gbaja-Biamila (Great Great Grandfather) (Village Moderator)
He is represented by Alexy Posner.
Defensive end / Linebacker
- 98 – Oakland Raiders (2003)
- 94 – Oakland Raiders (2004)
- 94 – San Diego Chargers (2006)
- 93 – Miami Dolphins (2007)
6 ft 6 in or 198 cm
119 kg or 262.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Akbar has dated –
- Chrystal Gbaja-Biamila – Akbar and Chrystal married in a secret memory. They have 4 children together – a son named Elijah, a daughter named Saheedat, and twin daughters Nasir and Naomi.
Race / Ethnicity
He has Nigerian ancestry.
- Athletic physique
- Towering height
Akbar has been a part of several commercials like –
- Team USA (2016)
- The More You Know
- Capital One Savor Card (2018)
- Acorns (2019)
- XFINITY xFi (2019)
Best Known For
- Being the host of the hit American television series American Ninja Warrior
- His successful football career with popular teams including Oakland Raiders, San Diego Chargers, and Miami Dolphins
First Football Match
Akbar began his career as an undrafted player with Oakland Raiders in 2003. He played 13 out of the 16 games and recorded 7 solo tackles with his first sack against Daunte Culpepper.
First TV Show
Apart from the broadcast of his football matches, he made his TV show debut as ‘Himself’ on Expedition Impossible in 2011.
Akbar has always been fit since he was a former sportsman. He does functional as well as weight lifting exercises. His workout includes bicep curls, tire exercises, elliptical machine, chest press, leg press, cable flys, shoulder presses, and various other exercises.
As for his diet, his breakfast usually contains a smoothie made from the fruits and vegetables, while, for lunch, he has a healthy salad with chicken and shrimp.
Akbar Gbaja-Biamila Favorite Things
- Food – Steak
Source – Instagram
Akbar Gbaja-Biamila Facts
- He has a dog named Simba.
- He was a part of the NFL for 5 years.
- The meaning of his name is “great”.
- He once helped a cop in a hit and run case.
- He does not consume processed sugar and encourages others to do the same.
- Akbar’s father was diagnosed with Parkinson’s disease in 2000.
- He is a member of the board for Asomugha Foundation, an organization aimed at creating better educational opportunities for impoverished communities.
- He is also the board member for The Michael J. Fox Foundation that is involved in research about Parkinson’s disease.
- In the year 2008, Akbar retired after resigning with Oakland Raiders.
- He played basketball and football during his childhood and along with his team went onto win various state competitions.
- His parents were Muslim and later converted to Christianity.
- Akbar’s mother died in a car crash in 2002.
- His middle and last names are from the Yoruba language.
- He was a contestant for the reality show Expedition Impossible in 2011 and was placed 4th on the show.
- In 2019, he released a book titled Everyone Can Be a Ninja.
- Visit his official website @ iamakbar.com.
- Follow him on Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter.
Featured Image by Akbar Gbaja-Biamila / Instagram