|Jerry O’Connell Quick Info|
|Height||6 ft 2 in|
|Date of Birth||February 17, 1974|
Jerry O’Connell is an American actor, voice actor, and director, best known for starring in Stand by Me (1986) as Vern Tessio, as well as Joe in Joe’s Apartment and Frank Cushman in Jerry Maguire, both in 1996, along with a role of Deren in the 2nd movie of the franchise – Scream 2 (1997). He had roles in TV series My Secret Identity (1998-1991) as Andrew Clements, Sliders (1995-1999) as Quinn Mallory, The Defenders (2010-2011) as Pete Kaczmarek, and Fresh Beat Band of Spies as Arizona Jones in 2015 and 2016. Jerry also played a character of Charlie Carbone in Kangaroo Jack (2003) movie, as well as Detective Woody Hoyt in the drama TV series Crossing Jordan (2002-2007).
He also had a short, but notable performance as the voice for Captain Marvel in the animated series Justice League Unlimited for 1 episode in 2005, and an animated short DC film Superman/Shazam!: The Return of Black Adam in 2010. In 2013, he co-starred with Tony Shalhoub in the American sitcom We Are Men but it was canceled after only a few aired episodes. In 2015, Jerry returned to Broadway theatre as a ghostwriter for the comedy Living on Love, starring Renee Fleming and Anna Chlumsky, which closed after 37 performances. He has also guest-starred in the TV series Billions since 2016 alongside Damian Lewis and was seen in 3 episodes of well-known TV series The Big Bang Theory in 2018, alongside actors Kaley Cuoco, Johnny Galecki, Jim Parsons, Simon Helberg, Kunal Nayyar, and others.
Manhattan, New York City, United States
Calabasas, California, United States
As a teenager, Jerry went to Professional Children’s School in Manhattan, New York City. After he graduated, he enrolled in New York University in 1991 and majored in film in 1995. During his education there, Jerry was a Resident Assistant.
Later in August 2009, Jerry attended Southwestern Law School in Los Angeles, California, to try and be a lawyer, but later dropped out to return to fully commit to acting.
Actor, Director, Voice Actor
- Father – Michael O’Connell (Agency Art Director)
- Mother – Linda O’Connell (Art Teacher)
- Siblings – Charlie O’Connell (Younger Brother) (Actor, Model)
- Others – Charles Stanislaw/Stanley Witkowski (Maternal Grandfather) (Jersey City Mayor), Florence Victoria Wilson (Maternal Grandmother), Joseph Witkowski (Maternal Grand-Grandfather), Blanche Witkowski (Maternal Grand-Grandmother), George Wilson (Maternal Grand-Grandfather), Anne Snowden (Maternal Grand-Grandmother)
Jerry O’Connell is represented by –
- 3 Arts Entertainment (Manager) in Beverly Hills, California, United States
- ICM Partners (Talent Agent) in Los Angeles, California, United States
- Kovert Creative (Publicist) in Santa Monica, California, United States
6 ft 2 in or 188 cm
84 kg or 185 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Jerry O’Connell has dated –
- Debra Pelletier – Jerry and Debra Pelletier had an encounter in the past.
- Elin Grindemyr – He dated the Swedish adult model Elin Grindemyr at one point in the past.
- Nadia Dajani (1996) – In 1996, Jerry dated American actress Nadia Dajani for less than a year.
- Sarah Michelle Gellar (1998-1999) – His 1st publicly known relationship was with his Scream 2 (1997) co-star Sarah Michelle Gellar. They started dating around August 1998, and broke up about 5 months later, in January 1999.
- Melanie Lazenby (2002) – Jerry started dating the American businesswoman in 2002, but their relationship lasted for less than a year.
- Estella Warren (2002) – He had a very short relationship of almost 28 days with the Canadian actress Estella Warren. They dated from February to March 2002. They both appeared in Kangaroo Jack comedy film in 2003.
- Nancy M. Pimental (2002) – Jerry has had another short-lasting relationship when he dated the American actress Nancy M. Pimental from September 14, 2002, to the October of the same year.
- Giuliana Rancic (2003-2004) – His 2nd most prominent relationship was with the Italian TV host and personality Giuliana Rancic. Their relationship lasted from January 2003 until July 2004, when the pair broke up.
- Geri Horner (2004) – Jerry had a brief encounter with singer Geri Horner in 2004.
- Rebecca Romijn (2004-Present) – Jerry started dating American model and actress Rebecca Romijn in 2004. A year later, in September 2005 the pair got engaged. On July 14, 2007, Jerry and Rebecca married in a private ceremony at their home in Calabasas, California. It was a total surprise to 100 of guests that were invited, as he initially advertised it as a barbecue get-together. Jerry later said in numerous interviews that he was very surprised that his wife accepted to marry him on the spot, and he was very grateful for it. After weeks of stating that they were trying to have kids, the pair’s publicist announced they were having twins. On December 28, 2008, twin daughters Dolly Rebecca Rose and Charlie Tamara Tulip O’Connell were born. Dolly received her name based on singer Dolly Parton, while Tamara has had her second name picked based on Jerry’s younger brother named Charlie.
Race / Ethnicity
He is of 1/2 Irish, and 1/4 Italian and Polish descent.
- Tall, muscular physique
- Often wears stubble facial hair
- Long, slicked-back haircut
Jerry O’Connell appeared in TV commercials for Duncan Hines Cookie Mix (1980), Christa’s Challenge (1986), a memorial scholarship fund for astronaut Christa McAuliffe, Ritz Bits Crackers (1987), Triaminic medicine for cold (1987), Oreo Cookies (1987), and Kellogg’s Frosted Flakes Cereal (1988).
In February 2019, he appeared alongside his wife and daughters in a video PSA (Public Service Announcement) for the Hallmark Channel’s Adoption Ever After campaign that urges people to adopt animals instead of buying.
Best Known For
- Playing the character of Vern Tessio in Stand by Me (1986)
- Starring as Quin Ballory in Sliders (1995-2000)
- Having a notable role of Phil Ohlmyer in Mission to Mars (2000)
- Starring as Charlie Carbone in Kangaroo Jack (2003)
- Having a prominent role of Pete Kaczmarek in The Defenders (2010-2011)
As a Singer
Jerry O’Connell made his first appearance as a performer with a song titled The Ballad of Paladin in Stand by Me (1986), and then performed Something in the Way in Jerry Maguire (1996). He also had an uncredited singing role of a song Bear Down, Chicago Bears in an episode Nevada v. Sen. Harper of the TV series The Defenders in 2010.
Jerry O’Connell made his first theatrical film appearance as Vern Tessio in the adventure-drama movie Stand by Me in 1986, alongside Kiefer Sutherland.
First TV Show
Jerry O’Connell made his first TV show appearance as himself in an episode of the talk show Late Night with David Letterman on September 23, 1986.
Jerry never revealed an exact routine he uses to stay in shape, but because judging on his muscularity, he definitely works out intensively. He was overweight as a kid because he ate bags of chips and boxes of Entenmann baked cookies, cakes, and donuts.
He quickly corrected the bad habits after he got a role in Stand by Me (1986) and became more successful, which resulted in getting party invites often, and forced him to change. Jerry once claimed that he had to fight the urge to order a pizza after a long day at work, but he still persevered and made a fat-free salad dressing.
His advice was to get a tan, and do push-ups and sit-ups at home, as well as take pilates or yoga as a low-intensity activity. Jerry reported that he drinks light beer as to not intake too much sugar and simple carbohydrates through alcohol. When he simply cut out booze and salt, the fat melted off his body.
Jerry O’Connell Favorite Things
- Activity – Fencing, Screen Writing, Parenting, Traveling, Singing
- Music Genre – Yacht Rock
- Yacht Rock Performers – Christopher Cross, Kenny Loggins, Michael McDonald
- TV Show – Bravo, Real Housewives
- Person – Prince, Wendy Williams, Erika Jayne, Justine Bateman
- Animal – Dog, Cat
Jerry O’Connell Facts
- He was born on February 17, which is National Kindness Day.
- His nickname, Jerry-O, stems from a common phrase – Cheerio.
- He was discovered by a talent agent when was 10 years old and hired to do a Duncan Hines Cookies commercial in 1998.
- Jerry was ashamed of the first movie he starred in – Stand by Me (1986) because he was overweight at the time. He quickly corrected the habits, and girls in his high school noticed and asked him about his routine. Jerry told them he had been doing 100 sit-ups in the morning, and asking them to punch him in the stomach, after which he farted on cue as a joke.
- What most impressed him about his first acting gig in 1986 in Stand by Me (1986) was that he was allowed to swear.
- As of September 2018, Jerry had 3 dogs and 2 cats.
- During college, he competed in fencing and was at the 17th spot on the roster in the country at his best.
- Jerry also appeared in a music video for Mariah Carey‘s song titled Heartbreaker in 1999, as well as Bree Sharp’s music video for the song David Duchovny the same year.
- People told him that he snores while sleeping, but he doesn’t believe it.
- His daughter, Charlie Tamara, is a fan of Dallas Cowboys football club, even though no one in the family is.
- He claimed he can’t grow a full beard, only a goatee facial hair.
- People often mix him up with Jason Bateman.
- He owns a towel with the picture of his wife Rebecca in a bikini but doesn’t use it. Instead, he keeps it as a prized possession.
- Jerry said that he occasionally creates hairstyles for his wife because he learned how to blow dry by watching TV shows such as Shear Genius (2007-2010).
- In 2008, Jerry took part in filming a well-known and widespread Internet video parody of Tom Cruise‘s speech about Scientology and later claimed he still “sort of” avoided Tom in 2019 as he realized that the parody was rude. The two were co-stars in the movie Jerry Maguire (1996).
- He also co-wrote and starred in a video parody titled Young Hillary Clinton, which was meant as a satire of Hillary Clinton‘s 2008 primary presidential campaign.
- In 1999, he tried his skills as a screenwriter and managed to sell the screenplay for First Daughter to New Regency company. The film was officially released in 2004.
- Jerry hosted Pepsi Smash Super Bowl Bash on VH1 channel on February 2, 2008, which featured musical guests such as rapper Mary J. Blige and band Maroon 5 lead by Adam Levine.
- Jerry starred in a thriller film Obsessed (2009) as a character named Ben, who was best friends with Derek Charles, played by Idris Elba.
- His brother, Charlie O’Connell, appeared in TV series Sliders (1996-1999) and Crossing Jordan (2003, 2005) alongside Jerry. His wife, Rebecca, starred in Eastwick TV series on ABC in 2009 and 2010, and Jerry had a guest appearance as a character Colin Friesen in 2010.
- He had the role of Derrick Jones in a comedy-horror film Piranha 3D (2010) and his co-stars were Elisabeth Shue and Adam Scott.
- Follow him on Twitter and Instagram.
Featured Image by Jerry O’Connell / Instagram