|Alanis Morissette Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 4 in|
|Date of Birth||June 1, 1974|
Alanis Morissette is a Canadian-American singer-songwriter, actress, and record producer who is best known for her emotive mezzo-soprano voice. She took a step into the limelight after she started her career in Canada back in the early 1990s during which she had released 2 successful dance-pop albums. After successfully releasing 2 albums, she became part of a recording deal and released Jagged Little Pill in 1995, a rock-oriented type of album that dominated the music charts and sold more than 33 million copies worldwide. The album was also considered as one of Morissette’s best work released as a musician.
After releasing a follow-up album titled Supposed Former Infatuation Junkie in 1998, Morissette released a row of studio albums in the early 2000s including Under Rug Swept (2002), So-Called Chaos (2004), and Flavors of Entanglement (2008). She later released the album Havoc and Bright Lights which came into view in 2012 and had sold more than 75 million records globally. The album which turned out to be her 8th studio work has been dubbed as the “Queen of Alt-Rock Angst” by Rolling Stone. During her 2018 tour, she sang and performed one of her popular songs titled Ablaze on March 16, 2018, and in October of the same year, she announced that she had written 23 new songs while also hinting at her new album. In June 2019, Morissette reportedly went into a studio situated in Los Angeles, adding that she had reportedly written all of her songs for the new album including the track Smiling which was likely to be released sometime in early 2020.
Alanis Nadine Morissette
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Malibu, California, United States
She went to the Holy Family Catholic School for elementary and attended the Immaculata High School during her grade 7 and grade 8 school. She completed the rest of her high school at Glebe Collegiate Institute.
Singer, Songwriter, Record Producer, Actress
- Father – Alan Richard Morissette (French Teacher)
- Mother – Georgia Mary Ann (Teacher, High School Principal)
- Siblings – Chad Morissette (Older Brother) (Business Entrepreneur), Wade (Older Twin Brother) (Musician)
- Others – Alan Joseph Morissette (Paternal Grandfather), Lucille Hunault/Huneau (Paternal Grandmother), Imre Feuerstein (Maternal Grandfather), Nadinia Gulyás (Maternal Grandmother)
Alanis Morissette is represented by Primary Wave Entertainment, Talent Management Company, Los Angeles, California, United States.
Alternative Rock, Post-Grunge, Hard Rock, Pop Rock, Dance-Pop
Vocals, Piano, Keyboards, Guitar, Flute, Harmonica
- MCA Canada
- Reprise Records
- Warner Bros.
- Collective Sounds
5 ft 4 in or 162.5 cm
59 kg or 130 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Alanis Morissette has dated –
- Dave Coulier (1993-1994) – Alanis Morissette had dated actor-comedian Dave Coulier for a short period of time during the early 1990s. In an interview with the Calgary Herald in 2008, Coulier openly claimed that he could be Morissette’s inspiration for her song You Oughta Know but the singer never confirmed the claims and had kept mum about the issue.
- Ryan Reynolds (2002-2007) – She met actor Ryan Reynolds at Drew Barrymore‘s birthday party in 2002. The former couple began dating shortly after meeting in the party and their romance led them to their engagement in June 2004. However, representatives of the couple announced that the two had decided to call off their engagement in 2007 for an unrevealed reason.
- Mario Treadway (2010-Present) – Morisette married rapper Mario Treadway aka Souleye in a private ceremony held at their home in Los Angeles. The couple has 3 kids together – a son named Ever Imre Morissette-Treadway (b. December 25, 2010), a daughter named Onyx Solace Morissette-Treadway (b. June 23, 2016), and a 2nd son named Winter Mercy Morisette-Treadway (b. August 8, 2019). In August 2021, Alanis revealed that she battled postpartum depression for almost 2 years after giving birth to her son, Winter.
Race / Ethnicity
She has French, Canadian, Hungarian, and Irish ancestry.
- Long Jawline
- Downward Pointed Nose
- Thin Lips
Alanis Morissette has done endorsement works for brands and companies such as –
- Gap Jeans
- The Gap Clothing Store
- Costa Cruises’ Illy Art Collection
Best Known For
- Her overall contributions as an artist both in the movie and music industry
- Her fame as a musician with a bunch of her most successful albums and singles that brought her career on top and have consistently made the rounds in numerous Canadian music charts
In 1991, Morissette released her debut album titled Alanis under the MCA Records Canada. Though the album was initially released in Canada, it made the rounds on various music charts and became ‘Platinum’ shortly after its release. Its first single Too Hot made its way to RPM’s top 20 while another 2 singles called Walk Away and Feel Your Love reached top 40.
She made her theatrical film debut in the comedy film Dogma in 1999.
First TV Show
In 1986, she made her first TV show appearance as “Herself” on the family-comedy series You Can’t Do That on Television.
A report published on August 21, 2015, shared a handful of details about Alanis Morissette’s lifestyle. According to Morissette, her home was renovated to fit her lifestyle which mirrors her love for yoga and meditation and an entire wall collection for her essential oils. By the looks of it, the singer seems to invest more on her health and wellness. After she went through bumpy roads back in her early life, Morissette has been in the process of building new and healthy boundaries which includes taking care of her health and well-being.
Morissette, who grew up with macaroni and cheese on the table, further added that the moment she decided to get high-nutrient greens instead of consuming dairy products, it eventually helped her to achieve a much healthier life and allowing her to enjoy better sleep. She has also learned how to balance life and work and added that she started to value more free time for herself and not forcing herself to overwork also gives her the space to relax and be calm.
Alanis Morissette Favorite Things
- Drinks – Tequila
Source – The Fashion Spot
Alanis Morissette Facts
- Her album Jagged Little Pill has no title cut.
- Her song track You Oughta Know features the Red Hot Chili Peppers‘ Flea on bass and Dave Navarro on lead guitar.
- Morissette spent an hour to compose her song Head In My Pocket.
- Her song Ironic was the first track she and Ballard wrote together.
- In 2005, she put out an acoustic version of Jagged Little Pill which was exclusively sold through Starbucks’ Hear Music brand for 6 weeks beginning on its 10th anniversary.
- She became a US citizen in 2005 while keeping her Canadian citizenship.
- Morissette suffered from depression and various eating disorders all throughout her teenage years, but recovered from this dilemma and started to eat a healthier diet.
- In January 2016, she started an advice column in The Guardian newspaper.
- As an actress, she has made notable appearances on various films and television shows including Anything for Love (1993), Dogma (1999), Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back (2001), De-Lovely (2004), S*x and the City (2000), Curb Your Enthusiasm (2002), Celebridade (2003), American Dreams (2004), Degrassi: The Next Generation (2005), Live From the Artists Den (2009), Up All Night (2012), and Top Wing (2018).
- Morissette’s parents were military school teachers.
- She started playing piano at the age of 6 and went on to attend dance lessons at the age of 7.
- Her first demo was titled Fate Stay with Me and was produced by Lindsay Thomas Morgan at Marigold Studios in Toronto.
- Visit her official website @ alanis.com.
- Connect with Alanis Morissette on YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
Featured Image by Justin Higuchi / Flickr / CC-BY-2.0