|Ali Velshi Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 9 in|
|Date of Birth||October 29, 1969|
Ali Velshi is a Canadian journalist, author, and senior economic and business correspondent who gained prominence by hosting shows such as MSNBC Live (2017-2019), The Last Word with Lawrence O’Donnell (2020-2023), The ReidOut (2022-2023), All in with Chris Hayes (2018-2023), The Rachel Maddow Show (2020-2022), etc. on CNN and MSNBC.
Hairless Prophet of Doom (H-POD)
- New York City, New York, United States
- Montgomery County, Pennsylvania, United States
Ali studied at the Northern Secondary School located in Toronto.
Furthermore, he attended Queen’s University in Kingston and received his degree in religious studies in 1994.
Television Journalist, Senior Economic and Business Correspondent, Author
- Father – Murad Velshi (Politician and First Indian-origin Canadian to get elected to the Legislative Assembly of Ontario, Owner of a Travel Agency)
- Mother – Mila Najrali Manjee
5 ft 9 in or 175 cm
71 kg or 156.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Ali Velshi has dated –
- He was briefly married to an unnamed woman in his 20s.
- Lori Wachs (2009-Present) – In 2009, he wed for the second time to Lori Wachs, who is a hedge fund manager and president of Cross Ledge Investments based in Philadelphia. The couple became parents with the arrival of their daughter.
Race / Ethnicity
He is of Gujarati-Indian descent.
He shaves his head bald.
Ali Velshi Favorite Things
- Museum – Chicago History Museum
Source – ClassicChicagoMagazine.com
Ali Velshi Facts
- While studying at Queen’s University, he made headlines for organizing protests against Preston Manning and Canada’s Reform Party.
- He received the Queen’s University Alumni Achievement Award, which is the highest award given to a Queen’s University alumni, in 2010. Additionally, his alma mater also awarded Velshi an honorary doctorate of laws in 2016.
- Following his graduation, he was awarded a fellowship to the United States Congress from the American Political Science Association in 1996. In this capacity, he worked with the Democratic representative from Indiana, Lee H. Hamilton.
- While discussing the 2007–2008 financial crisis during an episode of The Colbert Report, comedian Stephen Colbert called Velshi ‘CNN’s business reporter from our hairless, raceless future’.
- His film credits include Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps (2010), Around the World in 90 Seconds (2006), among many others.
- In 2005, Velshi hosted 13 hour-long episodes of the reality television show, The Turnaround. For each episode, he traveled across America visiting small business owners who were struggling and helped them connect with high-profile mentors for guidance.
- His famous moniker the ‘Hairless Prophet of Doom’ or ‘H-POD’ was given to him by The Daily Show host, Jon Stewart.
- Velshi has published 2 books titled Gimme My Money Back: Your Guide to Beating the Financial Crisis (2009) and How to Speak Money: The Language & Knowledge You Need Now (2011).
- From September 2001 until December 2004, he hosted several shows for the business news channel CNNfn in New York City. However, after the network shut down, he was reassigned to the United States CNN network.
Featured Image by John Mathew Smith / Wikimedia / CC BY-SA 2.0 DEED