|Ana Lily Amirpour Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 6 in|
|Date of Birth||July 25, 1976|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
Ana Lily Amirpour is an Iranian-American film director, screenwriter, and actress, best known for her directorial debut in a movie named Girl Walks Home Alone at Night in 2014, which she described as the “first Iranian vampire spaghetti western”. The movie premiered at Sundance Film Festival and was distributed by VICE. It also won Revelations Prize at the Deauville Film Festival the same year, along with a Citizen Kane Award for “Best Directorial Revelation” at the Sitges Film Festival in 2014. After being called “the next Quentin Tarantino” for her style and directorial prowess, Ana went on to present her next film named The Bad Batch in 2016. It contained a mix of romance and violence and was considered one of her best work by critics. It starred actors such as Jason Momoa, Suki Waterhouse, Jim Carrey, and Keanu Reeves, and premiered at the 73rd Venice International Film Festival on September 6, 2016, winning a Special Jury Prize. In 2018, she directed an episode of Castle Rock TV series, as well as a pilot for Briarpatch television series that was released in 2019.
Ana Lily Amirpour
Margate, Kent, England, United Kingdom
Los Angeles, California, United States
She finished her high school education in Bakersfield, California, United States. Ana then picked up a biology major at the UC Santa Barbara, in Santa Barbara, California, United States, but dropped out after about a year.
She went on to study at the San Francisco State University as an art major for an undergraduate degree but didn’t graduate. After that, she attended and graduated from the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA) School of Theater, Film, and Television.
Director, Producer, Screenwriter, Actor
Ana Lily Amirpour is represented by –
- Human Stew Factory
- Creative Artists Agency (CAA) in Los Angeles, California, United States
- Jackoway Austen Tyerman Wertheimer Mandelbaum Morris Bernstein Trattner & Klein (Legal Representative)
5 ft 6 in or 167.5 cm
51 kg or 112.5 lbs
Race / Ethnicity
She is of Iranian descent.
- Bob haircut
- Slim physique
- Defined facial features
Ana Lily released a short film for the fashion house Kenzo in 2018.
Best Known For
- Directing a short-length film A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night that was first self-released, and then re-filmed in full length and distributed by VICE films in 2014
- Being a director for short films such as Ketab (2010), Pashamloo (2011), and A Little Suicide (2012)
- Directing a well known American drama-horror The Bad Batch in 2016, starring Suki Waterhouse, Jason Momoa, Keanu Reeves, Jim Carrey, and others
- Being a writer and director for Blood Moon
The first film she directed and wrote was a 5-minute long action drama Six and a Half in 2019.
First TV Show
She directed an episode of the National Geographic Channel’s series Breakthrough in 2017, titled Curing Cancer.
Ana loves hiking, climbing, and walking for long distances, which was evident from her 7-day walk through the Alps to reach Mont Blanc.
She likes to eat healthily and has been known to share pictures of salads she made herself.
Ana Lily Amirpour Favorite Things
- Person – Bruce Lee, Michael Jackson, Madonna, Quentin Tarantino
- Animal – Pony Horse
- Food – Persian Ice Cream
- Drink – Guinness Beer
Source – Instagram, Instagram, Instagram, Wikipedia
Ana Lily Amirpour Facts
- She has Iranian ancestry but was born in Margate, England, United Kingdom. When she was very young, the whole family moved to Miami, Florida, and then settled in Bakersfield, California.
- The culture shock of coming to a different country and connection to American films inspired her love for film.
- She started making films at the age of 12 when she received a camcorder from her dad.
- Her parents wanted her to be a lawyer or a doctor.
- Ana Lily Amirpour announced that she has a 30% hearing loss, which greatly influenced her focus on imagery and lack of dialogue in films.
- A well-known magazine, Filmmaker added her to their “25 New Faces of Independent Film” list in 2014, after the release of A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night (2014).
- She describes The Bad Batch (2016) as a mix of The Road Warrior (1981), Pretty in Pink (1986), El Topo (1970), and Dirty Dancing (1987) movies.
- In 2017, at the Q&A session for The Bad Batch, there was a controversy when a black woman had asked Ana about the representation and treatment of people of color in the film, as they all seemed to die a gruesome death. Ana didn’t answer the question directly, and later blocked the person when she went to Twitter to talk about the issue. The director also later apologized, and the issue was settled.
- Her movies typically feature different cultural backgrounds, and music and score are the most important part in them. They also usually have central female characters that don’t fit in, because Ana herself is drawn to outcasts.
- A short film she directed in 2012, A Little Suicide, received 3 nominations for “Best Short Film” at the Edinburgh International Film Festival, Oldenburg Film Festival, and Zlin International Film Festival for Children and Youth.
- Another short film, True Love (2010), won the Audience Award for “Best International Short from” at the Milano International Film Festival Awards.
- Her sexuality came into question on September 30, 2018, when she shared a very touching Instagram post directed towards the actress Rosario Dawson. It insinuated much more than a working relationship, based on both hers and Rosario’s messages, but no further comments were made from either of them.
- She wrote and directed Blood Moon, a fantasy movie set to be released in 2019, featuring Hollywood actors Zac Efron, Kate Hudson, and Craig Robinson, among others.
- Ana directed a music video, You, a song performed by the duo Juanita and the Rabbit in 2009.
- Follow her on Facebook.
Featured Image by Ana Lily Amirpour / Instagram