|Andy Roddick Quick Info|
|Height||6 ft 2 in|
|Date of Birth||August 30, 1982|
Andy Roddick is a former world No. 1 tennis player. He reached the No.1 ranking in men’s tennis in 2003 after defeating Juan Carlos Ferrero of Spain at the US Open finals. He is known for his powerful serves which were often unreturnable. From 2002 to 2010, he has remained in the top-10 ranking by year-end and had 5 Masters Series titles to his name. Andy has been coached under the great Jimmy Connors and Larry Stefanki. He has more than 2 million followers on Twitter.
Andrew Stephen Roddick
Omaha, Nebraska, United States
Austin, Texas, United States
Andy Roddick studied at the SEK Boca Prep International School and graduated in 2000. He completed his high school through online classes from the University Of Nebraska High School.
Retired Professional Tennis Player, Philanthropist
- Father – Jerry Roddick (Businessman)
- Mother – Blanche Roddick (School Teacher)
- Siblings – Lawrence Roddick (Older Brother), John Roddick (Older Brother) (Former Professional Tennis Player)
- Others – Lawrence/Lorence John Roddick (Paternal Grandfather), Marion/Marian Agnes Bailey (Paternal Grandmother), Louis Edwin Corell (Maternal Grandfather), Hazel Elizabeth Speth (Maternal Grandmother)
Andy Roddick is managed by –
- Collin Smeeton, SFX Sports, Washington DC, United States
- The Andy Roddick Foundation, Austin, Texas, United States
- Tarik Benhabiles (1999–2003)
- Brad Gilbert (2003–2004)
- Dean Goldfine (2004–2006)
- Jimmy Connors (2006–2008)
- John Roddick
- Larry Stefanki (2008–2012)
Right Handed (Two-Handed Backhand)
6 ft 2 in or 188 cm
86 kg or 189.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Andy Roddick has dated –
- Ashley Harkleroad (1998-2000) – In 1998, Andy started dating fellow tennis player Ashley Harkleroad. Their relationship lasted for about 2 years.
- Mandy Moore (2002-2004) – In September 2002, Andy began dating actress Mandy Moore. Their relationship continued till March 2004.
- Lauren Bedford (2005) – In 2005, Andy had a brief encounter with model Lauren Bedford.
- Sabrina Aldridge (2005) – In 2005, Andy was spotted together with actress Sabrina Aldridge.
- Maria Sharapova (2005-2006) – In 2005, Andy began a relationship with Russian tennis player Maria Sharapova. However, in November 2006, the pair separated.
- Paris Hilton (2006) – In October 2006, Andy had a brief encounter with the socialite Paris Hilton.
- Brooklyn Decker (2007-Present) – In September 2007, Andy started dating actress and Sports Illustrated swimwear model, Brooklyn Decker. Andy first saw her on the CNN/Sports Illustrated website called She Says Z. According to Brooklyn on David Letterman show, Andy made his agent contact her agent for a chance to meet. The two began dating shortly after that and also, announced their engagement on his website on March 31, 2008. After a yearlong engagement, the couple tied the knot on April 17, 2009, in Austin, Texas. They are blessed with 2 children, son Hank Roddick (b. September 30, 2015) and daughter Stevie Roddick (b. November 2017).
Race / Ethnicity
He has German, English, 1/8th Norwegian, small amounts of Welsh, Irish, French/French-Canadian, Swiss-German, Swiss-French, distant Dutch, and possibly 1/128th Cree First Nations ancestry.
- Long rounded chin
- Low broader jaws
Andy Roddick has done endorsement work for brands like –
- Reebok shoes and athletic wear
- American Express
- Rolex watches
- Babolat racquets
- Lacoste Eyewear
- TravisMathew Apparel
- Parlux Fragrances
- Arizona Beverage Company
- Microsoft Xbox
Best Known For
- Claiming the men’s tennis world No. 1 ranking in 2003 after defeating Juan Carlos Ferrero of Spain at the 2003 US Open finals
- Remaining in the top-10 ranking by year-end from 2002-2010 and winning 5 Masters Series titles during that period
First Tennis Match
In May 1998, he made his senior tennis debut at the USA F2 Futures tournament.
In 2011, he made his theatrical film debut in a cameo appearance in the romantic comedy film Just Go with It as the Good Looking Guy on Plane.
First TV Show
In 2002, he made his first TV show appearance on the family comedy fantasy series Sabrina, the Teenage Witch.
Andy Roddick has worked out with trainer Doug Spreen during his time as a professional tennis player. Doug has helped Andy manage his workout routine making him susceptible to lesser injuries. Andy’s workout was mainly focused on the strength of his shoulders and core muscles.
Here are the 3 main exercises that were a part of Andy Roddick’s workout routine –
- Stability-Ball Crunch – With legs plated on the floor lie on top of a midsize stability ball. Place hands behind the head or in front of the chest and slowly lift the shoulder and back off the ball like in a regular crunch. Do the process in 3 sets with 20 reps.
- Abdominal Leg Lift – Lie on the floor with hands either on the sides or under the buttocks. Lift the feet together off the floor and without touching the floor raise the feet a couple of inches more and back to the starting point. Do for 3 sets of 20 reps.
- External Rotation – Sit with one leg on the bench and other firmly on the floor. Bend the leg at the knee to support one hand. Now, take a dumbbell of comfortable weight, and hold it with a bent elbow. Rotate the arm out with the dumbbell, keeping a steady elbow. Hold and bring the arm back down. Do 3 sets of 10 reps each.
Apart from that, Andy worked on endurance training, doing 30-, 40-, 60-meter sprints (8 to each one), followed with a 5 or 6 300s (300 meters) the next day. He also does bunny hops, running drills, lunges, and squat jumps as part of his leg workout routine.
As for his diet, Andy consumed more protein and vegetables, reducing or completely stopping the intake of carbs while training. He also drank a lot of electrolyte-infused water to stay hydrated during game season.
Andy Roddick Favorite Things
- Smell – Pizza
- Word – The F word, because it’s a noun, adjective, and a verb
- Actor – Sean Penn
- Movies – The Shawshank Redemption (1994), Wedding Crashers (2005), Star Wars series
- Non-Tennis Clothing Label – Lucky Jeans
Andy Roddick Facts
- He grew up in Austin, Texas, and Boca Raton, in Florida.
- In his earlier days as a junior player, Andy had considered quitting tennis after losing streak.
- Although he reached major Grand Slam finals like Wimbledon (in 2004, 2005 and 2009) and the US Open (in 2006), he was defeated by Roger Federer each time.
- Snakes are his greatest fear.
- His earliest childhood memory is his life in Nebraska, their house and being stuck in the snow.
- As one tennis player to another, he holds the greatest admiration for Andre Agassi who uses his fame to serve various causes.
- The trait he most deplores in himself is his honesty, for better or worse.
- The trait he most deplores in others is ignorance and being inconsiderate.
- His most embarrassing moments were his meltdowns on the court.
- His most treasured possession is his golf clubs.
- The feature he most dislikes about his appearance is his bald spot.
- Wine is his guiltiest pleasure.
- Chewing his nails is his most unappealing habit.
- Stifler (played by Seann William Scott) from American Pie film would play him in the film of his life.
- Growing up, he always wanted to be a sportsman of some sort.
- At his dream dinner party, he would only invite close friends and family members.
- If he could edit one thing from his past, he would want a chance to have won a Wimbledon title.
- He would like to be remembered with a hint of positivity.
- The most important lesson life has taught him is that “Every time you think you have something figured out, there is a curveball around the bend. So be adaptable”.
- His best spot for taking vacations are Hawaii and Rome.
- The craziest thing a fan has ever done for him is sending underwear in an envelope.
- He is known for impersonating other players like Maria Sharapova, Rafael Nadal, Lleyton Hewitt, and Novak Djokovic.
- He has held the fastest serve in U.S. Open history, serving at about 244 km/h (152 mph) against American Scoville Jenkins, and Spaniard Rafael Nadal.
- In 2004, he won the ESPY Award for “Best Male Tennis Player”.
- On July 22, 2017, Andy became a part of the International Tennis Hall of Fame.
- On his 30th birthday (on August 30, 2012), during the 2012 US Open, Andy announced his desire to retire after the tournament so he can focus on his work at the Andy Roddick Foundation.
- Visit his official website @ arfoundation.org.
Featured Image by Edwin Martinez / Flickr / CC BY-2.0