|Annu Kapoor Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 4 in|
|Date of Birth||February 20, 1956|
Annu Kapoor is an Indian actor and TV presenter who is best known for hosting the cult-classic vocal reality TV show Antakshari from 1993 to 2006. He is also well recognized for his work in films such as Mandi (1983), Utsav (1984), Mr. India (1987), Sardar (1994), Om Jai Jagadish (2002), 7 Khoon Maaf (2011), Vicky Donor (2012), and Jolly LLB 2 (2017).
Itwara, Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh, India
Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
Annu had to quit school following secondary education due to financial constraints. He had joined the renowned National School of Drama, a theatre training institute in New Delhi, in 1976 upon the insistence of his brother Ranjit who had already studied there.
Actor, TV Presenter
- Father – Madanlal Kapoor (Owner of a Travelling Parsi Theatre Company)
- Mother – Kamal Shabnam Kapoor (Classical Singer, Urdu Teacher)
- Siblings – Ranjit Kapoor (Older Brother) (Film Director, Screenwriter), Seema Kapoor (Sister) (Actress, Producer), Nikhil Kapoor (Brother) (Screenwriter)
- Others – Kripa Ram Kapoor (Paternal Grandfather) (Doctor in the British Indian Army), Lala Ganga Ram Kapoor (Paternal Great Grandfather) (Freedom Fighter), Grusha Kapoor (Niece) (Actress), Om Puri (Ex-Brother-in-Law) (Actor) (d. January 2017)
5 ft 4 in or 162.5 cm
64 kg or 141 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Annu has dated –
- Anupama Patel (1992–1993, 2008-Present) – Annu had married Anupama Patel in 1992 and the couple had divorced in 1993. They had reunited after more than a decade and got re-married in 2008. They have 3 sons together named Maahir Kapoor, Evaan Kapoor, and Kavam Kapoor.
- Arunita Mukherjee (1995-2005) – Annu had married TV host Arunita Mukherjee in 1995. They have a daughter together named Aradhita Kapoor. The couple had parted ways in 2005.
Race / Ethnicity
He is of Punjabi descent on his father’s side and Bengali descent on his mother’s side.
- Diminutive frame
- Short-cropped hair
- Often sports a thick beard
Annu Kapoor Facts
- He came to Mumbai in 1982.
- After he was forced to drop out of school due to his family’s financial situation, Annu’s father had urged him to join his traveling theatre company.
- After graduating from the National School of Drama and undergoing a brief stint with its repertory company, he had played the role of a 70-year-old man in a play titled Ek Ruka Hua Faisla. His performance had impressed renowned film director Shyam Benegal so much that he had sent Annu a letter of appreciation and had signed him up for the 1983 film Mandi, Annu’s feature film acting debut.
- He changed his name from Anil Kapoor to Annu Kapoor to avoid confusion with the lead protagonist of the film Anil Kapoor, while they were shooting for the 1988 film Tezaab.
- For his portrayal of the character of Dr. Baldev Chaddha in the 2012 romantic comedy film Vicky Donor, he had won the ‘Best Supporting Actor’ award at the 60th National Film Awards, the 58th Filmfare Awards, and the 14th IIFA (International Indian Film Academy) Awards.
- In addition to his acting career, he has directed several plays. He had also directed a feature film titled Abhay (The Fearless) in the early 1990s for the Children’s Film Society, India. The film went on to win the 1994 National Film Award for ‘Best Children’s Film’.
- On January 26, 2023, Annu was hospitalized at the Sir Ganga Ram Hospital in Delhi after he complained of a chest problem. It was later revealed that he was in a stable condition.
Featured Image by Annu Kapoor / Instagram