|Antonio Rüdiger Quick Info|
|Height||6 ft 3 in|
|Date of Birth||March 3, 1993|
Antonio Rüdiger started his soccer journey with VfB Stuttgart II in the 3. Liga. He was soon promoted to the main VfB Stuttgart team and he made an instant impact with his commanding performances in the defense. After having played for the German club for 4 seasons, he moved to Serie A as AS Roma agreed on a season-long deal with Stuttgart. By the end of the loan, Roma had decided to make Antonio Rüdiger a permanent member of the squad. But, he didn’t stay long at the club and in 2017 summer transfer window, he was bought by Chelsea FC as Antonio Conte looked to improve his title-winning side.
London, England, United Kingdom
Antonio Rüdiger has honed his game and defensive skills at the youth academy of the German heavyweights – VfB Stuttgart and Borussia Dortmund.
Professional Soccer Player
- Father – Matthias Rüdiger
- Mother – Lily Rüdiger
- Others – Sahr Senesie (Half-brother) (Professional Soccer Player)
Antonio Rüdiger is represented by Alexander Bergweiler.
30, 24 – VfB Stuttgart
2 – AS Roma, Chelsea FC
16 – German National team
6 ft 3 in or 190.5 cm
85 kg or 187.5 lbs
Race / Ethnicity
He has African ancestry on his mother’s side while he is of German descent on his father’s side.
Tall and imposing presence
Antonio Rüdiger has inked a personal endorsement deal with Nike. The endorsement deal requires him to wear Nike footwear for all his professional matches.
Best Known For
Being one of the best German central defenders of his generation. He has played for some of the most established European soccer clubs such as AS Roma, Chelsea FC, and VfB Stuttgart.
First Soccer Match
In January 2012, Antonio Rüdiger made his first Bundesliga appearance for VfB Stuttgart in a home match against Borussia Mönchengladbach. His side lost by 3-0.
In September 2015, he made his first appearance for AS Roma in an away Serie A match against Frosinone. His side won by 2-0.
He made his professional debut for Chelsea FC in August 2017 in the 2017 FA Community Shield match against Arsenal. He replaced Marcos Alonso in the 79th minute. They lost the match on penalties.
In May 2014, he made his first international appearance for German national team in a goalless draw against Poland.
- Aerial Ability
- Technical Ability
Antonio Rüdiger Favorite Things
- Role Models – Sahr Senesie and Thiago Silva
Source – ESPN
Antonio Rüdiger Facts
- He started his soccer journey at the youth club, VfB Sperber Neukölln. After spending 2 years at the club, he joined the youth setup of SV Tasmania Berlin at the age of 9.
- In April 2013, he signed a contract extension with VfB Stuttgart which extended his stay at the club until June 2017.
- He received the first red card of his professional career in May 2013 in a Bundesliga match against Greuther Fürth. The match ended in a 2-0 defeat for his side.
- Antonio Rüdiger earned his breakthrough in the 2012-13 season as he managed to make 24 appearances for VfB Stuttgart. He even played in the DFB Pokal final match against Bayern Munich, which ended in a 3-2 defeat for his side.
- He was raised in Neukolln, a tough and poverty-ridden area in Berlin. The neighborhood was the hub of criminal activities in the city.
- In 2008, he joined the academy setup of the German club, Borussia Dortmund. However, Rüdiger was released by the club after 2 and a half years as the club management felt he wasn’t good enough.
- In August 2015, he joined AS Roma on a season-long deal. The Italian club decided to pay a loan fee of €4 million to VfB Stuttgart.
- He scored his first goal for AS Roma in January 2016 in a home Serie A match against AC Milan. The match ended in a 1-1 draw.
- At the end of 2015-16 season, AS Roma decided to make his stay permanent. They officially paid €9 million and promised another half a million on bonuses to the German club.
- In his debut season at AS Roma, he made 30 appearances in the league. Overall, he played 37 matches across all the competitions for the club.
- The English club Chelsea FC decided to pay an initial transfer fee of £29 million to AS Roma to secure his services. Rüdiger signed a 5-year deal with his new club.
- In October 2017, he scored his first goal for Chelsea FC in the EFL Cup round of 16 matches against Everton. Chelsea won the match by 2-1.
- In his debut season at Chelsea, he managed to win the FA Cup as his side managed to defeat Manchester United by 1-0.
- He was included by Joachim Low in the German 23-man squad for UEFA Euro 2016. However, his name had to be withdrawn from the list after he tore the anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee during a training session in June 2016.
- He scored his first international goal in October 2017 in the World Cup qualifying match against Azerbaijan. The German side romped to a 5-1 win in the match.
- Before he pledged his international allegiance to Germany, he was actively courted by Sierra Leone Football Association.
- Visit his official website @ antonio-ruediger.com.
- Follow Antonio Rüdiger on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
Featured Image by Granada / Wikimedia / CC BY-SA 4.0