Bastille is a band formed in 2010 as a solo project by lead vocalist Dan Smith and later was expanded by including three more members. The name of the band was taken from the Bastille day (July 14) which is the birthday of Dave Smith. They have released a few popular studio albums such as Bad Blood (2013) and Wild World (2016). Bastille has sold over 9 million records worldwide and has been nominated for several music awards including Brit Awards, World Music Awards, Billboard Music Awards, and Grammy Awards.
- Dan Smith – Vocals, Piano, Keyboards, Melodica
- Kyle Simmons – Piano, Keyboards, Backing Vocals, Bass, Guitar
- Will Farquarson – Bass, Keyboard, Guitar, Backing Vocals, Piano
- Chris “Woody” Wood – Drums, Percussion, Backing Vocals
London, England, United Kingdom
Indie Rock, Indie Pop, Synthpop
- Virgin Records
- Capitol Records
The band released its first album Bad Blood in March 2013. The album was a success and peaked at the number 1 spot on UK’s Official Albums Chart and so did their 2nd album Wild World.
Some of their best songs include Bad Blood, Flaws, Pompeii, Of the Night, Good Grief, Blame, Glory, Quarter Past Midnight, and many more.
- The idea of the band came to lead vocalist Dan Smith’s mind when he was playing as a solo artist after finishing his college.
- While he was looking for a drummer, he came across a flyer by Chris Wood who was looking for students to give drum lessons. Dan called Chris and they got together to play.
- Both Dan and Chris went on tour for a few years and found both, keyboardist Kyle Simmons, and bassist and guitarist Will Farquarson on the way.
- The band made their official debut in July 2010 with their limited edition 7″ single that included the two tracks Flaws and Icarus.
- Their Breakout single was Pompeii that peaked at number 2 on The UK Singles chart and at the 1st position on US Alternative Songs Billboard chart and The Irish Singles chart.
- All the members revealed that they were very pessimist about the band’s future and had never imagined that Pompeii would be such a huge success.
- Most of the band’s songs are written by Dan Smith who also plays the role of a songwriter.
- In October 2012, the band organized their headlining tour titled Flaws Tour.
- The band has collaborated with artists like Marshmello and Craig David.
- Visit the band’s official website @ bastillebastille.com.
Featured Image by Ren Hekkonens / Wikimedia / CC BY-SA 3.0