JLS is an English boy band formed by the members Aston Merrygold, Marvin Humes, Oritsé Williams, and JB Gill in 2006. The popularity of their songs such as Beat Again, Everybody in Love, Love You More, One Shot, Eyes Wide Shut, Do You Feel What I Feel?, She Makes Me Wanna, Only Tonight, The Club Is Alive, Billion Lights, etc. quickly made them a music sensation in the UK and beyond. JLS‘ fame reached new heights after they were awarded the ‘British Breakthrough Award’ at the 2010 Brit Awards. The award-winning group has sold more than 2.3 million records in the UK alone. After disbanding in 2013, the boys reunited in 2020 for the Beat Again Tour (which was ultimately postponed to October 2021) due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
London, England, United Kingdom
R&B, Pop, Hip Hop, Dance
- Epic Records
- Jive Records
- J Records
- RCA Records
- Sony Music Entertainment
- BMG Rights Management
- JLS‘ debut self-titled album contained breakout singles such as Everybody in Love and Beat Again, both of which went to #1 on the UK Singles Chart. The album was certified ‘4x platinum’ in the United Kingdom upon its release in 2009.
- In 2010, the band released their second studio album titled Outta This World, which peaked at #2 on the UK Albums Charts.
- Jukebox (2011), the group’s third album featured hit singles such as She Makes Me Wanna, Take a Chance on Me, Do You Feel What I Feel?, etc. The music video for the latter received the ‘Best Video’ Award at the MOBO Awards in 2012.
- The band’s fourth album Evolution, released in 2012, sold more than 100,000 copies and was certified ‘gold’ by the BPI.
- The band was initially named ‘UFO’. However, the members decided to change it to ‘JLS’ as a rock group was already named UFO during that time.
- In September 2010, they collaborated with Durex to launch their own range of condoms known as ‘Just Love Safe’ in order to promote safe s*x, especially among teenagers.
- Their band name JLS stands for ‘Jack the Lad Swing’ and was coined by combining the phrases ‘Jack the lad’ and ‘New Jack Swing’, which is a music genre.
- The group members have featured in the documentary specials JLS Revealed in November 2009 and This is JLS in December 2010.
- JLS was one of the contestants on the 5th season of X Factor in 2008. Their popularity grew multifold during their stint on the show and they were considered clear favorites to win the competition. However, the boy band ended up in the 2nd spot behind the winner, Alexandra Burke.
- As of 2023, the band members have 2 best-selling books to their credit. The first one is called Our Story So Far in September 2009 and the second one is named Just Between Us: Our Private Diary in September 2010.
- JLS‘ musical influences include bands such as Four Tops, Take That, The Jackson 5, Boyz II Men, the Police, Backstreet Boys, Westlife, Take 6, NSYNC, The Temptations, Jodeci, Bell Biv DeVoe as well as artists like Michael Jackson, Will.i.am, Frank Sinatra, Lionel Richie, etc.
- Marvin is the tallest member of the band at 6 feet while the shortest member is Aston at 5 feet and 5 inches.
Featured Image by Adam Bielawski / Wikimedia / CC BY-SA 3.0