|Brent Kutzle Quick Info|
|Height||6 ft 3 in|
|Date of Birth||August 3, 1985|
Brent Kutzle is an American musician, songwriter, multi-instrumentalist, film composer and record producer, best known for being both the cellist and the bassist for OneRepublic, a pop-rock band formed in 2002. He was also known for multiple collaborations with well-known singers, musicians, and bands such as Beyonce, Kelly Clarkson, Leona Lewis, Ellie Goulding, Cobra Starship, Matchbox Twenty, as well as being a part of Monarch, an American indie pop band, since 2010. He was also a film composer for movies such as Easy A (2010), Magic Mike (2012), Terminator Genisys (2015), and The Killing of a Sacred Deer (2017), among others.
Brent Michael Kutzle
Newport Beach, California, United States
Los Angeles, California, United States
Brent attended Ethan B. Allen Elementary School, and when he was 13, enrolled into Sarah McGarvin School in Westminster, California.
He attended La Quinta High School in Westminster next, and then went on to study at California Baptist University in Riverside.
He finished his education at Vanguard University in Costa Mesa, California, a private accredited university of professional studies and liberal arts.
Musician, Songwriter, Multi-instrumentalist, Record producer, Film composer
- Father – (Pianist)
- Mother – (Church Organist, Piano Teacher)
- Siblings – He has a sister.
- Others – James Paul Kutzle (Paternal Grandfather) Fielding J. Kutzli (Paternal Great-Grandfather) Cecelia Agnes McNelis (Paternal Great-Grandmother), Lenora White or Cecelia Agnes McNelis (Paternal Great-Great-Grandmother)
Brent, through his band, OneRepublic, is represented by International Talent Booking (ITB).
Pop rock, Pop, Alternative Rock, Indie Pop
Bass, Cello, Vocals, Keyboards, Piano, Guitar, Percussion
Brent was signed under recording labels such as –
- Interscope Records (2007-Present)
- Mosley Music Group (MMG) (2007-Present)
- Northern Records (Monarch band)
6 ft 3 in or 190.5 cm
78 kg or 172 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Brent Kutzle has dated –
- Jackie Leslie (2013-Present) – Their relationship can be traced all the way back to 2013, judging by Brent’s social media. They have been in a long term relationship ever since and got married on July 9, 2015.
Race / Ethnicity
He is of German descent but has Swiss-German, English, Irish, and 1/32 French ancestry.
- Tall physique
- Undercut haircut
Best Known For
- Being a cellist and bassist for OneRepublic, a pop-rock band formed in 2002
- Releasing highly-successful albums with his band, most notably Native (2013) and Oh My My (2016)
- Being a film composer that’s classically trained, and making soundtracks for movies such as Easy A (2010) and Terminator Genisys (2015)
- Being a multi-instrumentalist, able to play guitar, drums, bass, cello, piano, keyboards, percussions
The debut album of OneRepublic was titled Dreaming Out Loud, and released on November 20, 2017, under Interscope Records recording label. Most notable singles from the album were Apologize, Stop and Stare, Mercy, and Come Home. Apologize alone reached the 2nd spot on the “Billboard Hot 100 list” in late 2007.
His 1st cinematography appearance was in 2008 when he starred in The Eye alongside Jessica Alba. He was seen in the opening scene, as part of an orchestra, playing the cello specifically.
First TV Show
He made his first TV show appearance as himself on So You Think You Can Dance in 2007.
Brent Kutzle Favorite Things
- Activity – Writing His Own Music, Playing Cello and Guitar
- Idol – Pablo Casals
- Musical Piece – The Swan by Camille Saint-Saens
Source – OttawaCitizen
Brent Kutzle Facts
- He began playing piano at an early age due to both of his parents being in a profession that has to do with a piano – his mom was a piano teacher and his dad was one of 84 pianists at the opening ceremonies for the Los Angeles 1984 Summer Olympics.
- Apart from the piano, Kutzle is a classically trainer composer as his father suggested he should take to learning a 2nd instrument. The reason was simple – cellists have a lesser amount of competition in that field.
- He played cello for the title track on the Songs Like Rain (2006), an independent short film.
- Brent scored a soundtrack for the Latin American drama film Behind the Water (2016), that was based on a true story.
- He joined OneRepublic band in 2007 but wasn’t a founding member. The former bassist left to pursue a solo career, and Kutzle played cello instead of bass but transformed the sound through looping, reverb, and delay effects.
- His cello hook on the All Fall Down song from Dreaming Out Loud (2007) album was what brought him initial recognition and praise for his cello skills.
- He wrote and produced many songs for the band, along with Ryan Tedder, the frontman, and Zach Filkins, OneRepublic’s guitarist.
- Brent was commonly seen singing back vocals at live concerts in addition to playing the bass guitar and cello.
- He has been a part of a band named Monarch since 2010. The band was formed in 2003 but dissolved later on. He joined along with new members, and together, they released a single named Stay on March 28, 2015, on SoundCloud platform. A little later, in April 2015, they announced a new single named Snow White will be released, along with a music video to accompany it.
- Brent co-produced or co-wrote a lot of singles from their highest charting number to date – Native (2013). Best known ones are If I Lose Myself, and Feel Again, but also All the Right Moves, Good Life, and others.
- The whole band spent a whole month in Brent’s garage when they were working on the Native, sometimes between 2012 and 2013.
- He has a sister who also started piano lessons very early, at around age 4 or 5. She was also playing violin when she was about 10 years old.
- He had at least 2 of his cellos stolen – one was worth over $10,000 and was stolen from his family garage. The 2nd one was taken at one of the bands’ live concerts.
- Brent is not a very outgoing guy and prefers spending time with family, and his wife, Jackie, in particular. His grandparents had a camper and instilled that habit in him, so he loves traveling in an RV with her when the band is on tour.
- Visit his band’s official website @ onerepublic.com.
- Follow him on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, OneRepublicVEVO.
Featured Image by Brent Kutzle / Instagram