|Cam Avery Quick Info|
|Height||6 ft 3 in|
|Date of Birth||April 21, 1988|
Cam Avery is an Australian multi-instrumentalist, singer, and songwriter who is distinguished for his contribution to the band’s Pond and Tame Impala. He is also noted for forming the Fremantle based garage rock band called The Growl. Cam has collaborated with several music artists and groups such as Abby May, The Last Shadow Puppets, Alexandra Savior, and Arctic Monkeys. He is also noted for the release of his debut album Ripe Dreams, Pipe Dreams (2017). Cam is also a talented multi-instrumentalist who can play drums, rhythm, bass, piano, and harmonica.
Fremantle, Perth, Australia
New York City, New York, United States
Cam studied at the Collier Primary School in Como, Perth.
Musician, Singer, Songwriter
- Father – Church Leader
- Mother – Unknown
- Siblings – Eliott Avery (Younger Brother)
- Others – Murray (Cam’s Mother’s Partner), Dee (Grandmother)
Cam is represented by –
- Jodie Regan of Spinning Top Music
- Booking Agents
- Evan Davis of Village Sounds (Australia)
- Kevin French of Paradigm (United States)
- Charlie Myatt of 13artists (United Kingdom / Europe)
Psychedelic Rock, Alternative Rock, Psychedelic Pop, Blues, Garage Rock, Rock and Roll
Guitar, Bass, Drums, Piano, Harmonica
Spinning Top Records, ANTI- Records, MGM Records
6 ft 3 in or 190.5 cm
90 kg or 198.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Cam has dated –
- Camille Rowe (2015-2016) – Between 2015 and 2016, French model and actress, Camille Rowe and Cam were romantically linked with each other.
- Alyssa Miller (2018) – American model Alyssa Elaine Miller and Cameron got married in April 2018. However, the duo spent a rather short married life together as she had announced via her Instagram on November 29, 2018, that she and Cam were not together anymore.
Race / Ethnicity
- He smirks towards the left side.
- Tall physique
- Long shoulder length hair
- Often uses a baritone voice while singing
- He has a tattoo of an eye on his right forearm.
Cam has not done endorsement work for any brand yet.
Cam’s parents believed in Christianity.
Best Known For
- Collaborating with several music artists such as Abby May, The Last Shadow Puppets, Alexandra Savior, and Arctic Monkeys
- Being a founding member of the psychedelic rock band Pond
- Touring as the bassist and vocalist with Kevin Parker‘s Tame Impala
- Releasing his hit album Ripe Dreams, Pipe Dreams in February 2017
Cam released his debut album titled Ripe Dreams, Pipe Dreams on February 13, 2017. It was compiled of a total of 10 songs, A Time and Place, Do You Know Me By Heart, Dance with Me, Wasted on Fidelity, Big Town Girl, Disposable, The Cry of Captain, Watch Me Take It Away, An Ever Jarring Moment, and C’est Toi (Extended). It also included a deluxe version which included the songs Whoever Said Gambling’s for Suckers and C’est Toi. Magazines such as Pitchfork and The Skinny praised his album for its simplicity in context to the music that was played by legendary musicians like Johnny Hartman, Elvis Presley, and Sarah Vaughan.
Cam Avery Favorite Things
- EarthQuaker Device – The Hummingbird
- Guitarist – Benji Lysaght
- Drummer Of All-Time – Henry Kwapis
- Kind Of Albums – Old big band Jazz albums
- Song of Alexandra Savior – Girlie (2017)
- Musicians – Nick Cave, Tom Waits, Leonard Cohen
Source – EarthquakerDevices.com, CoupDeMainMagazine.com, Convicts.nyc
Cam Avery Facts
- He was born on the east side of Fremantle.
- Cam spent the first 5 years of his life moving from one place to the next in the north of Perth but lived in Broome and parts of Karratha and Dampier.
- He lived with both his parents in a caravan annex until his parents got a divorce when he was 6 years old. Later, his mother took him and his brother Eliott to live in Como for a year before moving to Leeming to stay with her mother.
- During his younger days, he was a chubby chap and also wore braces.
- Cam’s mother started seeing a man by the name of Murray after her divorce.
- He started playing the piano, at a very young age.
- While he was in school, he was quite a shy person and wasn’t very interested in sports except for rugby, as he was the biggest out the lot and was virtually unstoppable at the game. He also took part in the school’s choir group.
- Cam was 16 years old when he started to play the guitar. His first guitar tutor was a jazz player named Scott Terry.
- By the time he reached the age of 17, he had already started writing songs.
- The reason he wanted to learn the guitar was that he had realized how easy it was to get to a girls heart with it.
- A career advisor once told his mother that he was ‘delusional’ because Cam told him that he wanted to either join a rock band or pursue a sport professionally. Growing up, he wanted to be part of The West Coast Eagles.
- He inherits his singing ability from his mother who was also a good singer.
- Cam once dressed as Elvis Presley during a school play.
- The first band that Cam joined was called Red Shoes Boy. Later, he went on to join activist and singer-songwriter Abbe May before branching off to create his band.
- Cam’s band The Growls was founded in 2011 with Clinton Oliver, Marc Earley, Michael Jelinek, Samuel Kuzich, and James Ireland being the first members to be recruited by him.
- In 2011, he released his debut EP titled Cleaver Lever.
- In 2013, Cam joined Tame Impala, in place of musician Nick Allbrook as their bassist and vocalist
- Cam is a smoker.
- In 2016, he released his debut single titled C’est Toi.
- He is good friends with American singer-songwriter and musician Josh Tillman.
- In the past, he lived with Tame Impala‘s former bassist Nick Allbrook to collaborate with under the title Allbrook/Avery.
- Growing up, he enjoyed listening to music by several artists such as Johnny Hartman, Dean Martin, Frank Sinatra, Elvis Presley, Sarah Vaughan, and Etta James.
- Cam has a good memory and can recite an entire comedy act word by word.
- To fund his desire to make music, he worked at beer breweries doing 12-hour night shifts. Cam also worked as a bricklayer, chef, landscaper, and a stonemason.
- Before moving to New York, he would live in a cabin that was built in the woods in Los Angeles.
- Cam is a big supporter of the New York Yankees. So-much-so that he had 11 Yankee caps in 2017.
- He finds his inspiration from musicians Nick Cave and Tom Waits and Leonard Cohen
- Follow him on Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook.
Featured Image by Cameron Avery / Instagram