|Carol Channing Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 9 in|
|Date of Birth||January 31, 1921|
Carol Channing was an American actress, dancer, singer, comedienne, and voiceover artist whose critically acclaimed work won her several accolades including the Tony Award, Golden Globe Award, and Grammy Award. In 1981, she was inducted into the American Theater Hall of Fame and was honored with a Lifetime Achievement Tony Award in 1995.
Carol Elaine Channing
She was born on January 31, 1921.
Carol Channing died of natural causes at the age of 97 on January 15, 2019, in Rancho Mirage, Riverside County, California, United States.
Seattle, King County, Washington, United States
She resided in –
- Modesto, California, United States
- Rancho Mirage, California, United States
Carol Channing attended institutions like Aptos Junior High School, Lowell High School, and Bennington College.
Actress, Dancer, Singer, Comedienne, Voiceover Artist
- Father – George Channing (Christian Science Practitioner, Editor, Teacher)
- Mother – Adelaide (née Glaser)
- Siblings – She was an only child.
- Others – George Stucker (Paternal Grandfather), Clara Page (Paternal Grandmother), Otto Glaser (Maternal Grandfather), Paulina/Pauline Ottmann/Ottman (Maternal Grandmother)
Carol Channing was managed by Charles Lowe.
She released her music via Plantation Records, Vanguard Records, etc.
5 ft 9 in or 175 cm
62 kg or 136.5 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Carol Channing had dated –
- Vidal Sassoon
- Theodore Naidish (1941-1944) – In 1941, she married writer Theodore Naidish and although they struggled financially during their married years, Carol Channing enjoyed her time with his family, especially his grandfather Sam Cohen who introduced her to his neighborhood friends who told her their funny stories. However, the marriage ended in 1944.
- Alex Carson (1950-1956) – She was married to the Canadian football player and private detective, Alex Carson, from 1950 to 1956 and their marriage resulted in the birth of their son named Channing Carson.
- Charles Lowe (1956-1999) – In September 1956, Carol Channing got married to her publicist and manager, Charles Lowe, and after being together for many years, she filed for a divorce in 1998. However, Charles Lowe passed away before the divorce was finalized.
- Roger Denny – She had a short-termed romance with interior decorator Roger Denny before her marriage to Harry Kullijian.
- Harry Kullijian (2003-2011) – On May 10, 2003, she got married to her junior high school sweetheart, Harry Kullijian, and they worked promoting arts education through their Dr. Carol Channing and Harry Kullijian Foundation. The duo remained together until his death on December 26, 2011.
Race / Ethnicity
Mixed (White and Black)
Carol Channing had African-American and German ancestry.
- Loud raspy voice
- Usually wore pink lip shades
- Poofy hair
Carol Channing had appeared in the TV commercials for brands such as Jell-O, General Foods, etc.
She was a Christian Scientist.
Carol Channing Facts
- She died just 16 days before her 98th birthday.
- She avoided alcoholic beverages.
- Carol Channing was friends with Bea Arthur, Betty White, Lily Tomlin, Ian McKellen, Elizabeth Taylor, and Whoopi Goldberg.
- She was allergic to bleach.
- She was an ovarian cancer survivor and maintained a strict diet for the most part of her life.
- The next day after her death, the lights on Broadway were dimmed in her honor.
Featured Image by John Mathew Smith & www.celebrity-photos.com / Flickr / CC BY-SA 2.0