|Christine and the Queens Quick Info
|4 ft 11½ in
|Date of Birth
|June 1, 1988
Christine and the Queens is a French singer and songwriter who released his debut studio album Chaleur humaine in 2014. The album received critical acclaim and peaked at #2 on both the French Albums (SNEP) chart and UK Albums (OCC) chart as well as was certified ‘Diamond’ in France. Chris was ranked #1 in Vanity Fair‘s list of most powerful and influential French people who “promote French genius” in 2016 and Forbes placed him on its list of 30 most influential and talented people under 30 in 2017.
Héloïse Adelaïde Letissier
Christine and the Queens, Chris, Redcar
Christine and the Queens enrolled at Lycée Clemenceau. He studied theatre and then attended Lycée Fénelon secondary school in Paris learning literature. Afterward, he studied at the Department of Arts of École normale supérieure de Lyon (ENS Lyon) and studied drama at the Lyon Regional Conservatory. However, he decided to leave the conservatory in 2010 as he was depressed after a romantic breakup.
When he was 4 years old, he started learning the piano and he has also taken classical dance and modern jazz lessons.
- Father – Georges Letissier (Taught English literature at the University of Nantes and specializes in Victorian-era literature)
- Mother – Martine Letissier (Taught both French and Latin at a local middle school) (Died suddenly from a heart infection in April 2019)
Pop, Synth-pop, Art Pop, Electropop, Indie Pop, Experimental Pop, Alternative R&B
Because Music (France), Neon Gold (United States)
4 ft 11½ in or 151 cm
45 kg or 99 lbs
Girlfriend / Boyfriend / Spouse
Christine and the Queens has dated –
- Océan – He was previously romantically involved with comedian Océan.
Race / Ethnicity
He stated in an October 2019 interview with the magazine Attitude that he is genderqueer.
Christine and the Queens Favorite Things
Source – Wikipedia
Christine and the Queens Facts
- After leaving the theater conservatory in 2010, Chris took a trip to London and was inspired by the work of local drag queen musicians. The name “Christine and the Queens” is a tribute to the queens and he has dedicated many of his creations to them, and to all transgender individuals.
- Talking about his experience with Madame Jojo’s drag club in London, Chris once said, “These drag artists have become my friends, they’ve inspired my creativity. They gave me the idea of creating a character, inventing another silhouette, another way of being in this world. Before it was a musical project, Christine was for me the answer to how to live properly. The Queens in Christine and the Queens is my tribute to them. Without the queens, I wouldn’t be here”.
- He has described his genre as “freakpop” and has stated that he enjoys “authors with difficult lyrics”.
- Some of his influences include Björk, Beyoncé, Daniel Balavoine, Fever Ray, Frank Ocean, Janet Jackson, Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis, Mylène Farmer, Joe Jackson, Lou Reed, and Serge Gainsbourg.
- In June 2021, Chris tweeted that he uses all pronouns. Afterward, he told The New York Times in March 2022: “My journey with gender has always been tumultuous. It’s raging right now, as I’m just exploring what is beyond this. A way to express it could be switching between they and she.” After stating in a TikTok video that his gender journey was “a long process”, he updated his pronouns to he/him across social media platforms.
Featured Image by Raph_PH / Flickr / CC BY 2.0