|Frank Ocean Quick Info|
|Height||6 ft 1 in|
|Date of Birth||October 28, 1987|
Frank Ocean is an American singer, songwriter, rapper, record producer, photographer, and visual artist who has been described as one of the greatest songwriters of his generation. After starting his musical career as a ghostwriter, he went on to release multiple albums and songs such as Channel Orange, Blonde, Novacane, Swim Good, Pyramids, Thinkin Bout You, Sweet Life, Lost, Chanel, Nikes, Super Rich Kids (ft. Earl Sweatshirt), Biking (ft. Jay-Z and Tyler, the Creator), Biking (Solo), Dear April, Lens, Moon River, Cayendo, Provider, In My Room, and DHL. In 2013, he was named by Time as one of the world’s most influential people and his albums have been listed in Rolling Stone‘s list of 500 Greatest Albums of All Time (2020). Frank Ocean has also received several accolades including the Brit Award, Grammy Award, UK Music Video Award, GQ Award, and Soul Train Music Award.
Christopher Edwin Breaux
Frank Ocean, Lonny
Long Beach, California, United States
Frank Ocean went to the University of New Orleans. However, after New Orleans was devastated by Hurricane Katrina, he moved to the University of Louisiana at Lafayette.
Singer, songwriter, rapper, record producer, photographer, visual artist
- Father – Calvin Edward Cooksey
- Mother – Katonya Breaux
- Siblings – Ryan Breaux (Younger Sister), Ashley “Nikkii” Ellison (Sister)
- Others – Lionel McGruder, Jr. (Maternal Grandfather)
Frank Ocean has been managed by Kelly Clancy.
He has been represented by Three Six Zero Group.
R&B, Soul, Alternative R&B, Pop, Psychedelic Soul, Avant-soul
Vocals, keyboards, guitar
Independent, Def Jam Recordings, Island
His net worth had been $13 Million according to CelebrityNetWorth.com.
6 ft 1 in or 185.5 cm
77 kg or 170 lbs
Race / Ethnicity
Frank Ocean is of African-American descent.
His natural hair color is “Dark Brown” but he often opts to dye his hair “Blonde”.
- Short cropped hair
- Fuzzy beard
Frank Ocean was roped in for the Fall 2016 Calvin Klein global advertising campaign.
He has also advertised for the Band of Outsiders fashion label.
Frank has revealed that he comes from Christian background with his mother and him going to different churches at one point in time.
He also practiced Catholicism for a short period of time. However, he still seems to be searching for faith.
Best Known For
- The popularity and critical acclaim garnered by his second studio album, Blonde, including reaching the top of the music charts in the US and UK
- He is one of the few rappers to have spoken openly about his bisexuality.
In 2012, he released his debut studio album, Channel Orange, which managed to reach the #2 spot on the Billboard 200.
The name of the album was inspired by the time he first fell in love. It was summer and he saw everything with an orange tinge.
First TV Show
In September 2012, Frank made his first TV show appearance in the popular comedy series, Saturday Night Live.
Frank Ocean keeps himself fit by practicing Kung Fu and Tai Chi. He even has listed these two martial arts forms as his hobbies.
He also loves a host of outdoor activities such as hiking. In fact, on the eve of his 24th birthday, he went hiking with his mother and brother.
Frank Ocean Favorite Things
- Artist, he wants to collaborate with – Celine Dion
- Movie – Shawshank Redemption (1994)
- Aretha Franklin Song – Daydreaming
Source – EURWeb.com, Genius
Frank Ocean Facts
- In March 2014, he was forced to pay $212,500 to Chipotle Mexican Grill after they had filed a lawsuit against him for the breach of contract as he pulled himself out of the ad campaign after having taken the advance.
- In 2012, he was placed in the 8th spot in the list of “50 Most Stylish Men in Los Angeles Right Now” by GQ magazine. In 2011, they had declared him GQ Magazine’s Rookie of The Year.
- He has a Bernese Mountain Dog, named Everest. He had credited him as the executive producer of his studio album, Chanel Orange.
- He was supposed to be the opening act during the European leg of the Coldplay Mylo Xyloto Tour in 2012. But he decided to pull out due to unspecified reasons.
- In April 2015, he officially and legally changed his name to Frank Ocean, which is inspired by Frank Sinatra and Ocean’s 11 (1960).
- If he hadn’t gotten into the music industry, he would have loved to do something in the automobile industry due to his love for cars.
- In 2012, the VIBE magazine included him in their special feature listing Best Songwriters of the 2000s. In the same year, they also chose him as the Man of the Year.
- Before he found fame in the music industry, he held a number of miscellaneous jobs such as sandwich artist at Subway, a claims processor at Allstate, and also worked at AT&T.
- While working on his album Channel Orange, he plastered posters of Bruce Lee and Pink Floyd on the walls of his studio.
- In 2013, Time magazine included him in the list featuring “100 Most Influential People in the World”.
- In December 2012, he was pulled over by the California authorities, who found a few grams of marijuana with him. He was cited for driving with a suspended license, having tinted windows, and possession of marijuana.
- In January 2013, he got into an argument with Chris Brown over a parking space outside a recording studio in West Hollywood. During the argument, he was punched by Brown and a member of Brown’s entourage used a homophobic slur against him.
- He released his 2nd studio album titled Blonde on August 20, 2016, and it features guest vocals from artists like André 3000, Beyoncé, Yung Lean, and Kim Burrell. The album peaked at number #1 on the US Billboard 200 chart, US Top R&B/Hip-Hop Albums (Billboard) chart, UK Albums (OCC) chart, Scottish Albums (OCC) chart, New Zealand Albums (RMNZ) chart, and Australian Albums (ARIA) chart. Also, it was certified ‘Platinum’ by the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA).
- In August 2021, Frank launched a luxury brand called Homer.
- In April 2023, Frank suffered an ankle injury after he was involved in a bike accident on the Coachella grounds.
- He doesn’t have any social media accounts.
Featured Image via Rory / Flickr / CC BY 2.0