|Conan Gray Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 9 in|
|Date of Birth||December 5, 1998|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
Conan Gray is an American singer, songwriter, social media star, TV personality, and musician, best known for his YouTube account, “ConanXCanon”. He later changed the name of the channel to his real name, and the channel has amassed a fanbase of more than 1.5 million subscribers. He created it on January 20, 2013, but 1st gained prominence for his cover of the song To Make You Feel My Love on November 20, 2014, and uploading vlogs. In 2016, he began his solo singing career, with singles The Other Side and See Right Through, while in 2017, he released a single titled Idle Town, which was later included on his debut EP, Sunset Season, released in November 2018. The single itself reached 30 million Spotify streams by October 2018 and more than 12 million YouTube views by April 2019.
The EP also included his well-known songs such as Generation Why, Crush Culture, Lookalike, and Greek God. Another of his singles, Grow, initially released in September 2017 with a music video, saw its re-release on all platforms in November 2018, gaining even more traction. Conan also released 3 singles in by September 2019, titled The King, Checkmate, and Comfort Crowd, the latter of which he wrote because he missed his best friend. He also won a Shorty Award in 2019 in the category of “Best YouTube Musician”. Conan has also amassed a large social media fanbase with more than 1 million followers on Instagram and more than 500k followers on Twitter.
Conan Lee Gray
San Diego, California, United States
- Austin, Texas, United States
- Los Angeles, California, United States
After he moved to Los Angeles, California, United States in September 2017, Conan attended the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA) and studied filmmaking. However, he soon took a hiatus to focus on his music career.
Singer, Songwriter, Musician, TV Personality, Social Media Star
- Father – His father was in the military.
- Siblings – He has an older sister.
- Others – He has a younger half-brother.
Pop, Dream Pop, Indie Pop, Sad Boy Pop
Vocals, Guitar, Piano
- Republic Records
- Universal Music Group
5 ft 9 in or 175 cm (as per Conan Gray’s Height revelation on Twitter in 2017)
68 kg or 150 lbs
Race / Ethnicity
Mixed (White, Asian)
He is of Irish descent on his paternal side and of Japanese descent on his maternal side.
Long, slicked-back, messy haircut
Best Known For
- His debut EP, Sunset Season (2018)
- Releasing hit singles, Idle Town (2017), Crush Culture (2018), and Comfort Crowd (2019)
- Winning a Shorty Award for “Best YouTube Musician” in 2019
- His social media fanbase with more than 1.5 million subscribers on YouTube, more than 1 million followers on Instagram, and more than 500k followers on Twitter
As a Singer
Conan made his 1st official step into the music career on November 20, 2014, after he uploaded a video of a cover of a song To Make You Feel My Love. He started his solo singing career in 2016, with the release of singles See Right Through and The Other Side. He further gained prominence with the release of a single Idle Town in 2017, which was also a part of his debut EP, Sunset Season, released on November 16, 2018, under Republic Records and Universal Music Group. The single was highly successful and had more than 30 million streams on Spotify by the end of next month, and had also amassed more than 12 million views on YouTube by April 2019.
The rest of the tracks from the EP were also very prominent, and titled Generation Why, Crush Culture, Lookalike, and Greek God. Another one of his singles, Grow, initially released in September 2017 with an accompanying music video, got re-released to platforms in November 2018, and was discovered by an even larger audience. By September 2019, Conan released 3 new singles titled Checkmate, The King, and Comfort Crowd.
First TV Show
Conan Gray made his first TV show appearance as a musical guest on the Michael Moore/Busy Philipps/Conan Gray/Brendan Buckley episode of the comedy, talk-show series, Late Night with Seth Meyers in January 2019.
Conan Gray Favorite Things
- YouTuber – Joey Graceffa
- Musical Influences – Adele, Lorde, The Dixie Chicks
- Hobbies – Drawing, Swimming, Cycling, Collecting Sea Shells
- Sugary Treat – Ice Cream
- Southern Country Singers – Dolly Parton, Willie Nelson, Kacey Musgraves
- Cafe in Austin, Texas – Kerbey Lane Cafe
Conan Gray Facts
- His mom was diagnosed with an early form of cancer while she was pregnant with him. The doctors told her to abort him because he wouldn’t live, but she luckily didn’t listen to them.
- When Conan was an infant, his grandfather got sick with cancer, forcing the whole family to move to Hiroshima, Japan to take care of him.
- After 2 years in Japan, he came back to California, United States, and even though Conan used to speak Japanese fluently, he lost that ability later in life.
- His parents divorced when he was 3 years old.
- Due to his dad’s occupation, being in the military, Conan moved 12 times during his childhood, and 3 times during the 6th grade alone. At one point, he was only 1 out of 5 Asian pupils in his school.
- Conan claims he’s a big “overthinker”.
- After he got a computer for Christmas, Conan started 4 YouTube channels. However, only 2 took off, the one that later amassed more than 1.5 million subscribers, and a lesser-known one, dedicated entirely to his passion for art.
- Some of his earliest videos on YouTube were uploaded when he was in the 4th grade. They just showed Conan playing with his pet gecko and running around.
- Tennis is the 1st and only sport he has played in school.
- As a kid, Conan always wanted to be a model or an actor.
- He began songwriting and singing more actively when he was 12 years old. However, he started making up songs out of the ingredients written on the bottles of shampoo while showering since he was a kid.
- Growing up, Conan had a weird habit. He would go behind a VCR (Videocassette Recorder) machine, wipe off the dust, and lick his finger. He never understood why he did that.
- People gave him the title of a leader of the “sad boy pop” genre, which he acknowledges and accepts as true, but says it’s not 100% who he is.
- Conan recorded Idle Town, one of his most successful singles, by taping a cheap microphone to a broken lamp and using the GarageBand application on his Macintosh computer.
- Up until the age of 12, Conan lived in San Diego, California, but then moved and settled in Georgetown, Texas, United States. However, the place made him feel like he didn’t belong there because he was multiracial.
- The 1st video he had watched on YouTube was the music video for Teardrops on My Guitar by Taylor Swift.
- In 2013, even though he wasn’t scared of the dark, he would turn off the lights and immediately run to jump onto his bed because he always felt something chasing him.
- He calls his Tumblr account “Conan’s Greenhouse” and describes himself as a “simple leaf blowing in the wind.”
- Conan calls himself a “psychotic nerd” and writing music and singing as his coping mechanism and organizational tool.
- He’s comfortable with his self-identity and has no problems admitting that he’s a ‘girly boy’ and that he enjoys painting his nails in different colors.
- He followed a NikkieTutorials‘ makeup guide in April 2018.
- Following the release of his 2018 EP, he went on 2 tours, 1st The Sunset Shows (2018–19), and then The Comfort Crowd Tour in 2019. He was also an opening act for the Pray For The Wicked Tour, whose headlining acts was the band Panic! At The Disco.
- Conan has been known to doodle all over his homework, and to create completely random art pieces that often impress his fanbase.
- He often feels like he’s dating 50 people and doesn’t need his own partner. That’s because his friends who are dating other people keep feeding him an excess of information about their partners, and he gets overwhelmed.
- After the success of his debut EP, record labels connected him with well-known songwriters to help him prepare his debut studio album. However, at that point, Conan found that he had already written 52 songs alone that were just sitting in the folder on his computer.
- Self-admittedly, he’s horrible at dancing. His only dance move is just wiggling.
- According to him, if he were an animal, he would be a bird, either a peacock or ostrich.
- His song, Crush Culture, was about his own “miserable” love life. He was 19 years old, and still hadn’t had his 1st kiss yet, even though he wasn’t proud of that fact.
- Visit his official website @ conangray.com.
- Follow him on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Tumblr, Spotify, Apple Music, and SoundCloud.
Featured Image by Conan Gray / Instagram